EstebanLM
Hi,

I loaded last version of seaside into a pharo 1.4 image.
Everything looks working fine, but there a couple of fixes:

1)

KomLogger>>#attachTranscript
        self detachTheTranscript.
        ^(self streams detect: [:ea | ea isTranscriptStream] ifNone: [nil])
                ifNil: [self addStream: TranscriptStream new]

"TranscriptStream" is not anymore on pharo and should be replaced with ThreadSafeTranscript

2) String>>#withBlanksTrimmed is deprecated, and now it should use #trimBoth

how can I proceed to apply this fixes into seaside (without breaking other platforms)?

cheers,
Esteban_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM

El 29/01/2012, a las 5:23p.m., Esteban Lorenzano escribió:

> 2) String>>#withBlanksTrimmed is deprecated, and now it should use #trimBoth

I'm seeing this one, #trimBoth comes from grease... so I suppose seaside should use it, instead withBlanksTrimmed

best,
Esteban

How do you programmatically set the root class??

Larry Kellogg
  Somehow, my system is not showing me the class that I want as my root class and
the class does not show up in the configuration list. This used to work, now I don't know
how my configuration got messed up.

  Also, there is a class in there that says it can be root but should not be allowed. Is there
some way to reinitialize the root list? I never added this class as an app.

  Thanks,

  Larry

Re: How do you programmatically set the root class??

Johan Brichau-2
Lawrence,

Maybe I'm referring to the obvious but: did you verify the implementation of the #canBeRoot class method in the involved classes?

Sorry if I did not catch your problem right.

Johan

On 29 Jan 2012, at 21:47, Lawrence Kellogg wrote:

>  Somehow, my system is not showing me the class that I want as my root class and
> the class does not show up in the configuration list. This used to work, now I don't know
> how my configuration got messed up.
>
>  Also, there is a class in there that says it can be root but should not be allowed. Is there
> some way to reinitialize the root list? I never added this class as an app.
>
>  Thanks,
>

>  Larry

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

Dale Henrichs
Esteban,

If it were me, I'd isolate the specific changes in two new packages:

  KomHttpServerPortability.common
  KomHttpServerPortability.pharo14

existing implementation in the common branch and the Pharo1.4 changes in the pharo14 branch.

I've attached a new version of the configuration that creates a new baseline and version with the necessary changes ...

As other posters have mentioned #trimBoth could be used, but currently Kom does not depend upon Grease, so I would be curious whether other users of Kom would all of a sudden want Grease included in the image ... I'm not the Kom maintainer so I would choose to create the Portability package with the two branches as the the least impactful change ...

TranscriptStream is currently not managed with Grease and it could be, but then Grease doesn't have any Pharo1.4 specific packages either (yet....)...

My $0.02..

Dale

ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer-dkh.26.mcz (11K) Download Attachment

On Jan 29, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Lawrence,
>
> Maybe I'm referring to the obvious but: did you verify the implementation of the #canBeRoot class method in the involved classes?
>
> Sorry if I did not catch your problem right.

  Yes, this is the issue, but I guess I need a little help on the concept of canBeRoot. So, does canBeRoot
indicate that the component can be accessed externally, as an entry can, or can a registered application
be accessed externally and return canBeRoot>>false.

  Larry

> Johan
>
> On 29 Jan 2012, at 21:47, Lawrence Kellogg wrote:
>
>> Somehow, my system is not showing me the class that I want as my root class and
>> the class does not show up in the configuration list. This used to work, now I don't know
>> how my configuration got messed up.
>>
>> Also, there is a class in there that says it can be root but should not be allowed. Is there
>> some way to reinitialize the root list? I never added this class as an app.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Larry

Re: How do you programmatically set the root class??

Johan Brichau-2
Lawrence,

If #canBeRoot returns true, it just means that its class is made visible in the configuration tool.

Some more detail can be found in the seaside book:
http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/cincom-smalltalk/component/registering

Also, don't forget you can poke around in the image figure out what stuff means. This is how I usually start out.
The comment in the WAComponent>>#canBeRoot (abstract) method explains what overriders are supposed to do.
You can also check on that by looking for all senders of the message. That reveals that the sender are all in the configuration tool and tests.

cheers
Johan

On 29 Jan 2012, at 22:09, Lawrence Kellogg wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> Lawrence,
>>
>> Maybe I'm referring to the obvious but: did you verify the implementation of the #canBeRoot class method in the involved classes?
>>
>> Sorry if I did not catch your problem right.
>>

>  Yes, this is the issue, but I guess I need a little help on the concept of canBeRoot. So, does canBeRoot
> indicate that the component can be accessed externally, as an entry can, or can a registered application
> be accessed externally and return canBeRoot>>false.
>
>  Larry
>
>> Johan
>>
>> On 29 Jan 2012, at 21:47, Lawrence Kellogg wrote:
>>
>>> Somehow, my system is not showing me the class that I want as my root class and
>>> the class does not show up in the configuration list. This used to work, now I don't know
>>> how my configuration got messed up.
>>>
>>> Also, there is a class in there that says it can be root but should not be allowed. Is there
>>> some way to reinitialize the root list? I never added this class as an app.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Larry

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

Philippe Marschall
2012/1/29 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Esteban,
>
> If it were me, I'd isolate the specific changes in two new packages:
>
>  KomHttpServerPortability.common
>  KomHttpServerPortability.pharo14
>
> existing implementation in the common branch and the Pharo1.4 changes in the pharo14 branch.
>
> I've attached a new version of the configuration that creates a new baseline and version with the necessary changes ...
>
> As other posters have mentioned #trimBoth could be used, but currently Kom does not depend upon Grease, so I would be curious whether other users of Kom would all of a sudden want Grease included in the image ... I'm not the Kom maintainer so I would choose to create the Portability package with the two branches as the the least impactful change ...
>
> TranscriptStream is currently not managed with Grease and it could be, but then Grease doesn't have any Pharo1.4 specific packages either (yet....)...

AFAIK KomLight doesn't have these issues. KomLight is a much smaller
code base with no dependencies (KomServices, DynamicBindings) and
should work just fine. In Pharo 1.4 switching to Zinc is attractive
because you already have most of the parts in the image. IMHO it would
therefore be best to replace Kom with KomLight.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

patmaddox
Dale, how can I install this? I've added your .mcz file to my package cache and run

ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer project load: '1.0.10'.

and I get

'Could not resolve: KomHttpServerPortability [KomHttpServerPortability.pharo14-xxx.1] in /Users/padillac/code/Pharo-1.4/package-cache http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer'

Googling for KomHttpServerPortability only points me to this thread...

Philippe, where can I get KomLight?

2012/3/1 patmaddox <[hidden email]>:
> Philippe, where can I get KomLight?

http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer.html

Cheers
Philippe

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

Dale Henrichs
Pat,

I didn't take any direct action on that thread, I think I was advising someone else on what to do ... when I look at the configurations for Kom I don't see a 1.0.10, so I'm not sure where you got your configuration from ...

Dale

| Dale, how can I install this? I've added your .mcz file to my package
| cache
| and run
|
| ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer project load: '1.0.10'.
|
| and I get
|
| 'Could not resolve: KomHttpServerPortability
| [KomHttpServerPortability.pharo14-xxx.1] in
| /Users/padillac/code/Pharo-1.4/package-cache
| http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer'
|
| Googling for KomHttpServerPortability only points me to this
| thread...

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

patmaddox
It's in the ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer-dkh.26.mcz you posted! ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer>>version1010:

> I didn't take any direct action on that thread, I think I was advising someone else on what to do ... when I look at the configurations for Kom I don't see a 1.0.10, so I'm not sure where you got your configuration from ..

Re: loading Seaside 3.0.6.3 in Pharo 1.4

Dale Henrichs
Ah,

Sorry, that was just an edit for the configuration as example for Esteban ... I assumed that he or someone else would make the final decision and repackage things ...

Esteban, did you resolve your Kom issue?

Dale