LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Lorin McCaffrey

We have a client running our VSE windows app and will sometimes get a problem, seemingly random, when the app tries to initialize/draw/refresh a dialog.  The app is running on a Citrix XenApp terminal server, although I doubt that has anything to do with it.

The user will see a small message box with title Smalltalk and with an icon but with no message text.  If the user presses OK, then the app is hung and has to be killed via the task manager.

The error log captures the items below.  It seems like we’ve never come across the text “LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString” in our years of running this VSE windows app, which I find surprising.  Has anybody else seen a similar message before?  Any idea what message 1001 is?

Error log timestamp 11/8/2011 10:28:13

The registers were:

EIP =  0x00410fec

ESP =  0x0012e714

EBP =  0x0012e734

EAX =  0x00000000

EBX =  0x00000000

ECX =  0x00410fec

EDX =  0x7c9485f6

EDI =  0x00000000

ESI =  0x00000000

CS  =  0x0000001b

DS  =  0x00000023

ES  =  0x00000023

SS  =  0x00000023

End Registers

Error log timestamp 11/8/2011 10:28:13

Message 1001:

Error trying to load the message id 1001.

LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error.

Any help appreciated,

Lorin McCaffrey

Director of Product Development

Policy Works Inc.

Direct: 403.450.1101

Toll Free: 1.800.260.3676 ext. 101

linkedinfacebookinstouch

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Chantal Thibodeau
Hi

We had a "similar" problem running VSE when there are multiple opening & closing windows.  The app is a deamon, and each minute, a window pops up to check a directory, and then close right afterward.  Over time, we seems to have a strange display problem, when the window pops up another time, it crashed.  It's like Windows doesn't want to allocate another window.

To avoid that, we change two of our apps. to stop popping window all the times.  And it solved the problem.

Long years ago, we had something like that with monitors with 256 colors.

I don't think that's helping but never know.

Chantal Thibodeau
Recherche et développement / Research and development
Groupe Onscope Inc. / Onscope Group Inc.
651 Notre Dame O., Suite 200
Montréal, Québec H3C 1H9
1-877-563-9696
514-393-9696 # 382
www.onscope.com
[hidden email]

onscope_logo108px.gif (2K) Download Attachment

AW: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Möbus. Manfred

this message id is the famous

"a non-continuable protection violation has occurred. Check ERROR.LOG file."

Such things can be extracted from the vvm31w.dll with a standard win32 resource examination tool.

As to the real error, I can only speculate that “someone” has gone wild overwriting some essential memory structures.

Regards

Manfred

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Derek Renouf
Hi Lorin,

We had issues with Citrix and Remote Terminal when 32 bit icons were used. We were creating resources on the fly and had to ensure we always started with a 32 bit bitmap and then create other images and icons from these. Anyway, one of the issues was that user certain conditions te app would GPF around the presentation of images.

If you are painting the dialog and there is an issue with one of the images, this may be the cause. I know it is not a definite answer, but I hope it helps.

-- Derek

On 09/11/2011, at 5:15 AM, "Lorin McCaffrey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have a client running our VSE windows app and will sometimes get a problem, seemingly random, when the app tries to initialize/draw/refresh a dialog.  The app is running on a Citrix XenApp terminal server, although I doubt that has anything to do with it.

The user will see a small message box with title Smalltalk and with an icon but with no message text.  If the user presses OK, then the app is hung and has to be killed via the task manager.

<image005.png>

[...]

<image002.jpg><image003.gif><image004.gif>

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Andreas Rosenberg
Hi Lorin,

I've uploaded into our VSE wiki an updated version of an older project I did a while ago.
It is intended to created a Smalltalk stack dump on a client machine in case of a
general protection fault. This may help you to find the classes/methods that are currently
active when the GPF occurs.

See: http://vse-wiki.apis.de/index.cgi/Source%20code%20for%20VS-Smalltalk
<http://vse-wiki.apis.de/index.cgi/Source%20code%20for%20VS-Smalltalk>

It's called 'vmerrtr.zip'.

Regards
    Andreas

Andreas Rosenberg | eMail: [hidden email]
APIS GmbH         | Phone: +49 9482 9415-0
Im Haslet 42      | Fax: +49 9482 9415-55
93086 Worth/D     | WWW: < http://www.apis.de/ <http://www.apis.de/> >
Germany           | < http://www.fmea.de/ <http://www.fmea.de/> >

 <http://www.policyworks.com/ca/Default.aspx> Policy Works Inc.

 <http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Policy-Works-Commercial-Management-Systems-3569394?home=&gid=3569394&trk=anet_ug_hm> linkedin
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Policy-Works-Inc/312733071766#!/pages/Policy-Works-Inc/312733071766?sk=wall> facebook
<http://www.instouch.com/group/policyworksusers> instouch

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and
VSWE-L membership management ***

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Henrik Høyer
Thanks a lot Andreas for sharing this!

Does this version support Windows 7 and/or 64 OS ?

--
Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error

Andreas Rosenberg
It should work on Win 7 / Vista (also in 64 bit). I only
tested Win XP 32 bit and Win 7 64 bit.

I recently fixed a bug, that caused a crash on Vista / Win 7
because MS added a security token to the SEH handler chain.

93086 Wörth/D     | WWW: <http://www.apis.de/>
Germany           | <http://www.fmea.de/>

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

2d barcode library?

Carl Gundel-3

Can anyone recommend a 2d barcode DLL library that works with VisualSmalltalk?  I’ve tried one from a company called TEC and another one from MW6 Technologies without good results.

Thanks,

-Carl

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Passing floating point doubles

Carl Gundel-3

So I’m calling a 2d barcode library where one function specifies a double for one of the parameters.  This doesn’t seem to be working quite right.  Is this a problem with VSE, or do I suspect the DLL?  Does anyone here feel able to speak confidently about this?

Thanks,

-Carl

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

AW: Passing floating point doubles

Möbus. Manfred

Hi,

you must use the token structValue as api parameter type.

One example where it is used in the digitalk code is encountered when stepping through

OLEStructure externalFloatFromInternalFloat: aFloat

Regards

Manfred

VMERRTR - WAS: (Re: LoadVMErrorMsg>>LoadString error)

Holm-Kjetil Holmsen
Hi!

I've tried to use your "vmerrtr.dll", but apparently with no success.

Our problem is that our VSE-application crashes with "non-continuable protection violation" at random intervals.  This happens in the production environment as well as in the test-environment.  (We haven't been able to trigger this in a developer-image - "can't try hard enough".)

We know (think we know) the general area in the application where this happens, but...  It happens randomly, and if a user tries the same user-actions one more time (after restarting the application) - it just works...  (Apparently, working "intensely" for some time can trigger this error.)

I've made a patch for loading your tool as following:
  1) Filed in the .st-file in my developer image in it's own Package ("Stack Trace").
  2) Made an initializer on that package with the following startup sequence:
         "TkbVmErrorTrackingDLL  enableExceptionHandler: true;  startUp."
  3) Made a .sll out of that (stackTrace.sll), that is loaded (very) early in the .bind-file
  4) Put the VMERRTR.dll in the same directory as the image (and VM and associated DLL's),
      this is also the working directory for the application.

I can't for my life find a file called "stack.dmp" anywhere...
Is there something in the method above that suggest why this (apparently) does not work??
(Users access the application as an "Citrix enabeled application")

Holm-Kjetil Holmsen
Systemkonsulent
Bluegarden AS

hoho@bluegarden.com