log4s problem

1 message Options

log4s problem

jtuchel
Hi,

I think log4s behaves in a dangerously unexpected way. Look at this snippet:

    EsFileAppender
        name: 'test'
        layout: nil
        threshold: EsLevel Info
        fileName: 'C:\NonexistenPath\log.log'
        fileAppend: false
        immediateFlush: true

This Appender can be added to a Logger and nobody will ever realize that its stream variable includes a CfsError instead of a stream. This will lead to all kinds of interesting problems. In our Hudson integration, it made an image crash completely when the loggers are shutDown. Instead of closing after an otherwise successful build, the image is unable to access sources and can only be closed using the task manager.

I think log4s should throw an exception here, not even just log an error using EsLogLog.

What do others think?

Joachim