logging/tallying what is getting garbage collected?

logging/tallying what is getting garbage collected?

Paul DeBruicker
Is there a way to learn what is getting garbage collected in an image?

In a part of an application I've written the Qwaq profiler & Pharo
profiler consistently report that 2 full GC's (3% uptime) and ~400
incremental GC's (9% uptime) are run.

That makes me think I'm creating and discarding a bunch of stuff and
maybe I don't need to, but I also don't have a strong idea where to
begin looking.

Thanks

Paul

Re: logging/tallying what is getting garbage collected?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 11, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> Is there a way to learn what is getting garbage collected in an image?

indeed it would be cool to have that.
In VW we did dirty trick with overriding new and collected in info long time ago and I was surprised to see which classes where the most instantiated.
So it would be cool to have that kind of "profiler"