long ago morphic demos

David West
the early distributions of squeak included a project with several
morphic demos: clock, racetrack, lens, scrolling text through a
complicated space, etc.

Are these still available somewhere?  under what name?  Or, do I have to
load and old version and file-out?

thanks
davew

Re: long ago morphic demos

Stan Shepherd

Re: long ago morphic demos

Stan Shepherd

Re: long ago morphic demos

Marcus Denker-4

On Sep 14, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Stan Shepherd wrote:

> Hi David,
> you can try http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoMorphicExtras/
> ...Stan

I think was David means was the original Morphic Demo Project as it was shipped
with Squeak 2.0...

With the Fabrik demo, the text-flow and things like that.

These demos where not created by code but contructed (by a human) and just in the image as Projects.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: long ago morphic demos

Francisco Garau
Maybe Fuel could help here, if back ported to Squeak 2.0 and serialising the projects.

Oh, but it won't work if the text flow behaviour is not in the target image, of course.

- Francisco

On Sep 14, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Francisco Garau wrote:

> Maybe Fuel could help here, if back ported to Squeak 2.0 and serialising the projects.
>
> Oh, but it won't work if the text flow behaviour is not in the target image, of course.

IMHO (very humble): There are *far* more important things to do...

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: long ago morphic demos

Francisco Garau

> On Sep 14, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Francisco Garau wrote:
>
>> Maybe Fuel could help here, if back ported to Squeak 2.0 and serialising the projects.
>>
>> Oh, but it won't work if the text flow behaviour is not in the target image, of course.
>>
> IMHO (very humble): There are *far* more important things to do

Totally agree.

Re: long ago morphic demos

Bert Freudenberg
On 13.09.2011, at 13:55, David West wrote:

> the early distributions of squeak included a project with several
> morphic demos: clock, racetrack, lens, scrolling text through a
> complicated space, etc.
>
> Are these still available somewhere?  under what name?

Hi David,

earlier Squeak versions are available at

        http://ftp.squeak.org/

The projects you are looking for are e.g. in 3.6. This image still runs fine in a current 4.x VM (but not Cog). You can choose "save project as file" from the world menu. The resulting .pr file still works fine in e.g. the current Etoys release from

        http://squeakland.org/

A project does not contain the classes, just the objects on screen. As mentioned previously, these demos were made by constructing objects interactively, not code. If the image does not have the classes, you cannot load them. The Etoys line of images was developed with backwards-compatibility in mind, it still has all the necessary code, that's why it works.

I'm pretty sure it would be reasonably simple to make it work in current Squeak too. E.g. when trying to load the project, it is missing the WatchMorph class. If you asked on the Squeak developers list, someone surely would know where we put those classes. Pharo discarded much more of the underlying machinery so I would guess it will be more work.

- Bert -