looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Christian Haider

Origo, the home of the open source PDF implementation, is going to be switched off by the end of May.

While the source code of the VW implementation is in the public repository of Cincom (with increasing doubts about the safety of the code after the long downtime lately), all the documentation is at Origo (http://pdf4smalltalk.origo.ethz.ch/) with wiki pages, a forum and a blog.

Because Origo will be terminated, I am looking for a new place for the documentation and discussions (and possibly for the code of ports to other Smalltalk dialects).

I looked around a bit, but nothing popped up as the perfect solution:

- Google code lacks features (has wiki, but no forum or blog) and users are forced to uses their google account

- Sourceforge has most features, but feels strange and is, like google, subject to the US internet blocking policies.

- others are mainly for code and not well suited for documentation and collaboration

Ideally, I’d love to have a place for Smalltalk projects in an open-internet country with a nice web UI in Smalltalk with all the important features:

Wiki, Forum, Mailing lists, issue tracker, project management support etc.

Super plus would be a web-based browser for Smalltalk code of all dialects!!!

Any suggestions, anyone?

Re: looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Andres Valloud-6
Christian, I thought I'd provide a few notes regarding the down time of
the public Store repository.  During the upgrade, we found a bit of
valid data that, due to changes in Postgresql, is now considered
invalid.  The new Postgresql database refused to load these few bits of
data, so unfortunately the upgrade wasn't a simple matter of dumping the
old database and reading the dump into the new database.  After we
migrated the data to the new expected format, we found a couple similar
issues as well.  Dealing with a 3.5gb dump file containing a handful of
problems somewhere, and doing it well, can be time consuming.  On the
other hand, we are happy the resulting data is cleaner and easier to
maintain.  Also, this work makes our public Store repository upgrade
plans easier.

On 3/16/2012 12:23 AM, Christian Haider wrote:

> Origo, the home of the open source PDF implementation, is going to be
> switched off by the end of May.
>
> While the source code of the VW implementation is in the public
> repository of Cincom (with increasing doubts about the safety of the
> code after the long downtime lately), all the documentation is at Origo
> (http://pdf4smalltalk.origo.ethz.ch/) with wiki pages, a forum and a blog.
>
> Because Origo will be terminated, I am looking for a new place for the
> documentation and discussions (and possibly for the code of ports to
> other Smalltalk dialects).
>
> I looked around a bit, but nothing popped up as the perfect solution:
>
> - Google code lacks features (has wiki, but no forum or blog) and users
> are forced to uses their google account
>
> - Sourceforge has most features, but feels strange and is, like google,
> subject to the US internet blocking policies.
>
> - others are mainly for code and not well suited for documentation and
> collaboration
>
> Ideally, I’d love to have a place for Smalltalk projects in an
> open-internet country with a nice web UI in Smalltalk with all the
> important features:
>
> Wiki, Forum, Mailing lists, issue tracker, project management support etc.
>
> Super plus would be a web-based browser for Smalltalk code of all
> dialects!!!
>
> Any suggestions, anyone?

Re: looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Georg Heeg
Andres,

Just a question of interest: Why did you not use Store Replicator for the
upgrade?

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Christian, I thought I'd provide a few notes regarding the down time of the
public Store repository.  During the upgrade, we found a bit of valid data
that, due to changes in Postgresql, is now considered invalid.  The new
Postgresql database refused to load these few bits of data, so unfortunately
the upgrade wasn't a simple matter of dumping the old database and reading
the dump into the new database.  After we migrated the data to the new
expected format, we found a couple similar issues as well.  Dealing with a
3.5gb dump file containing a handful of problems somewhere, and doing it
well, can be time consuming.  On the other hand, we are happy the resulting
data is cleaner and easier to maintain.  Also, this work makes our public
Store repository upgrade plans easier.

On 3/16/2012 12:23 AM, Christian Haider wrote:

> Origo, the home of the open source PDF implementation, is going to be
> switched off by the end of May.
>
> While the source code of the VW implementation is in the public
> repository of Cincom (with increasing doubts about the safety of the
> code after the long downtime lately), all the documentation is at
> Origo
> (http://pdf4smalltalk.origo.ethz.ch/) with wiki pages, a forum and a blog.
>
> Because Origo will be terminated, I am looking for a new place for the
> documentation and discussions (and possibly for the code of ports to
> other Smalltalk dialects).
>
> I looked around a bit, but nothing popped up as the perfect solution:
>
> - Google code lacks features (has wiki, but no forum or blog) and
> users are forced to uses their google account
>
> - Sourceforge has most features, but feels strange and is, like
> google, subject to the US internet blocking policies.
>
> - others are mainly for code and not well suited for documentation and
> collaboration
>
> Ideally, I’d love to have a place for Smalltalk projects in an
> open-internet country with a nice web UI in Smalltalk with all the
> important features:
>
> Wiki, Forum, Mailing lists, issue tracker, project management support etc.
>
> Super plus would be a web-based browser for Smalltalk code of all
> dialects!!!
>
> Any suggestions, anyone?

Re: looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Andres Valloud-6
Because that's not the documented, sysadmin-oriented approved way of
migrating a Postgresql database :).

On 3/16/2012 2:04 AM, Georg Heeg wrote:

> Andres,
>
> Just a question of interest: Why did you not use Store Replicator for the
> upgrade?
>
> Georg
>
> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
> Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Dale Henrichs
Christian,

Check out https://github.com/ ... it has a wiki, blog capabilities, issue tracker and free hosting for source, good collaboration facilities...

Dale

| Origo, the home of the open source PDF implementation, is going to be
| switched off by the end of May.
|
| While the source code of the VW implementation is in the public
| repository of Cincom (with increasing doubts about the safety of the
| code after the long downtime lately), all the documentation is at
| Origo ( http://pdf4smalltalk.origo.ethz.ch/ ) with wiki pages, a
| forum and a blog.
|

| Because Origo will be terminated, I am looking for a new place for
| the documentation and discussions (and possibly for the code of
| ports to other Smalltalk dialects).
|

| I looked around a bit, but nothing popped up as the perfect solution:
|
| - Google code lacks features (has wiki, but no forum or blog) and
| users are forced to uses their google account
|
| - Sourceforge has most features, but feels strange and is, like
| google, subject to the US internet blocking policies.
|
| - others are mainly for code and not well suited for documentation
| and collaboration
|

| Ideally, I’d love to have a place for Smalltalk projects in an
| open-internet country with a nice web UI in Smalltalk with all the
| important features:
|
| Wiki, Forum, Mailing lists, issue tracker, project management support
| etc.
|
| Super plus would be a web-based browser for Smalltalk code of all
| dialects!!!
|

| Any suggestions, anyone?

Re: looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Bob Nemec
I like the idea of using github. Dale created some buzz about it at the conference and a number of us are interested in building cross Smalltalk dialect tools to use it (I would like to work on the VA tools).
So... my vote is for github.

As for a support forum: I suggest Smalltalk projects use Stack Overflow ... http://stackoverflow.com/ ... the tag based system takes a little getting used to, but we would benefit from more cross dialect and cross language exposure.

Bob

Re: looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Christian Haider

Thanks Dale and Bob!

I looked at GitHub and was a bit taken off by the backward setup procedure… After Easter I will have a second look. I did see blogs and the issue tracking but no forum or mailing list… I will look again with a proper account.

Stack Overflow is a great idea. I like it.

Unfortunately, both are subject to the US internet blocking policy which I really don’t like. Why shouldn’t bright and friendly Cuban or Iranians participate just because the server is in a country which chooses to have their states are enemies… OK, I should not worry about the bright ones J.

I wish that there would be alternatives to these services available from Island or other open places…

I’ll look into that again after Easter. Thanks for the input.

Christian

Re: looking for a new home for PDF4Smalltalk

Dale Henrichs
Christian,

There are alternative hosting services available[1] that might be friendlier:)

Dale

[1] http://git-scm.com/tools