looking for icons (and documentation ...)

looking for icons (and documentation ...)

Joseph Frippiat-2
When I deployed my package, it lost all its icons ...
I saw in the  View Composer that I can add icons (a small one and a large
one).
What are the specifications for those icons: file format, resolution, number
of colors, ...
I looked for informations but I didn't find anything useful.

What did happen to Dolphin Smalltalk documentation ?
There is no help for the release 5.1 . The Dolphin wiki seems partialy
destroyed, there are lots of dead links.
I spent a lot of time this day to make a ListPresenter work.  After lots of
trying, searching on the Internet, guessing, ... it finaly works.

Can I find the AdviceToBeginners from Bill Schwab somewhere ?  The link
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/AdviceToBeginners.htm is dead.

Is there a user guide somewhere ?

Thanks

Joseph

Re: looking for icons (and documentation ...)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Joseph,

> What did happen to Dolphin Smalltalk documentation ?

You can use the docs from 4.x.  Grab DSDN and Ian's archives of this
newsgroup; then you will have access to a LOT of good technical
information.  Note that you can search results, and find things in a hurry.

> There is no help for the release 5.1 . The Dolphin wiki seems partialy
> destroyed, there are lots of dead links.

The OA site mentions the Wiki problems.  It does appear to have taken a
turn from read-only to down.

> I spent a lot of time this day to make a ListPresenter work.  After lots of
> trying, searching on the Internet, guessing, ... it finaly works.

That's about right for starters.  It gets a lot easier.  Ted Bracht's
book is probably still available, and there are tutorials in various
locations.  Honestly, MVP gets easer - really :)

> Can I find the AdviceToBeginners from Bill Schwab somewhere ?  The link
> http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/AdviceToBeginners.htm is dead.

Use "schwab advice beginners smalltalk" with Google, and ask for the
cached page.  Failing that, I just saved a copy and can try to put it on
  the web.

> Is there a user guide somewhere ?

Quite a few; Google will turn them up.  Did I mention that this stuff
gets easier?  Get DSDN and the archive; they'll help a lot.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: looking for icons (and documentation ...)

Chris Uppal-3
Joseph Frippiat wrote:

> What did happen to Dolphin Smalltalk documentation ?

It never did appear.  You are recommended to try the D4 documentation, which
can be downloaded and installed from:
    http://www.object-arts.com/UsingD4HelpWithD5.htm
or read online at:
    http://www.object-arts.com/EducationCentre/Education.htm

IIRC there weren't any significant changes that would affect how you build MVP
apps between D4 and D5.

> When I deployed my package, it lost all its icons ...

Yes, that's what happens ;-)

There are at three or four ways of including icons with deployed applications,
I don't have time just now to repeat them (perhaps someone else will), but if
you check the archives of this newsgroup (or use Google groups) for messages
with "deploy" and "icon" in them then you will find lots of info and
suggestions.

    -- chris

Re: looking for icons (and documentation ...)

Don Rylander-3
Joseph,
"Joseph Frippiat" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:41d0ba13$0$2441$[hidden email]...
> When I deployed my package, it lost all its icons ...
> I saw in the  View Composer that I can add icons (a small one and a large
> one).
> What are the specifications for those icons: file format, resolution,
> number of colors, ...
> I looked for informations but I didn't find anything useful.
The simplest approach is to put icon and bitmap files (*.ico and *.bmp)
files into the same directory as your executable.  It should pick them up
automatically.  If you are using only the default Dolphin icons and bitmaps,
just putting DolphinDR005.dll into the same directory as your application
should work, too.  As I recall, Object Arts has given licensed Dolphin users
permission to redistribute that dll with their applications.

I prefer a different technique, binding the resources into the To-Go stub
the ImageStripper uses to create the stand-alone exe.  Using a tool like
ResHacker (http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/ - no longer in
development though!), you can put in icons and bitmaps appropriate for your
target OS.  Since we're building for XP, I even include the application's
manifest (or at least my minimal impression of what it needs).  ResHacker
also allows you to pull resources out of other DLL and EXE files.  Once you
have the stub file enhanced with your full complement of icons, etc., just
use the Lagoon Deployment Wizard to point to your stub instead of the
default for when deploys the application.  (In the wizard's Step 7, click
the Custom Options button, scroll down to "stubFilePath" and double-click on
it for a dialog that lets you pick a different stub.)

HTH,

Don