looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I'm looking for a video, slides… to convey one key point:
         making pharo requires thousands of tiny, annoying, tedious tasks (like tagging a bug, checking a bug in the vm, …).

I would like to be able to explain that these steps are not happening magically, but that some guys
are doing them and that we all benefit from them. So if you have an idea of media that I could use.
I was thinking for example to all the steps that you should do to verify your equipment before a long trip in
moutain but this is not really good enough.

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:52 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm looking for a video, slides… to convey one key point:
> making pharo requires thousands of tiny, annoying, tedious tasks (like tagging a bug, checking a bug in the vm, …).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinzelmännchen

;-)

        Marcus

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

Pavel Krivanek-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqV58CbhXw

or do you know how Egyptians created their obelisks? Hundreds of them
were sitting in a pit and were beating again and again with small
stones for moths and years, millimetre by millimetre

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/egypt/dispatches/images/990316n02.jpeg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Aswan_obelisk_-_how_it_was_carved_out_of_pink_granite_using_hard_dolorite_balls%2C_taken_in_2009_by_author_Glenn_Ashton.JPG
http://bepic.net/public_files/pics/20111006190413.jpg

-- Pavel

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm looking for a video, slides… to convey one key point:
>          making pharo requires thousands of tiny, annoying, tedious tasks (like tagging a bug, checking a bug in the vm, …).
>
> I would like to be able to explain that these steps are not happening magically, but that some guys
> are doing them and that we all benefit from them. So if you have an idea of media that I could use.
> I was thinking for example to all the steps that you should do to verify your equipment before a long trip in
> moutain but this is not really good enough.
>
> Stef

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

Esteban A. Maringolo
2013/3/25 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
> or do you know how Egyptians created their obelisks? Hundreds of them
> were sitting in a pit and were beating again and again with small
> stones for moths and years, millimetre by millimetre

I don't think that helps in the methaphor of a lot of people making
small contributions to produce a greater outcome because... egyptians
were slaves who died doing those obelisks. Are Igor, Camillo, Esteban,
Sven, etc. going to die? I hope not. :)

I don't know why Stephane needs that, but I understood what he wants
to communicate.
I'm trying to imagine something that represents that and then look for
a picture of it online.

Stephane: Does it need to be shown as a picture? It can be in words as
long as it takes less than 1000 words... :)

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

stephane ducasse

On Mar 25, 2013, at 9:08 PM, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/3/25 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>> or do you know how Egyptians created their obelisks? Hundreds of them
>> were sitting in a pit and were beating again and again with small
>> stones for moths and years, millimetre by millimetre
>
> I don't think that helps in the methaphor of a lot of people making
> small contributions to produce a greater outcome because... egyptians
> were slaves who died doing those obelisks. Are Igor, Camillo, Esteban,
> Sven, etc. going to die? I hope not. :)

I'm looking for labor and many tasks :)

> I don't know why Stephane needs that, but I understood what he wants
> to communicate.
> I'm trying to imagine something that represents that and then look for
> a picture of it online.
>
> Stephane: Does it need to be shown as a picture? It can be in words as
> long as it takes less than 1000 words... :)

:)

I'm trying to make people using pharo understanding that the consortium and the association
are a huge opportunity to make the future better.

2013/3/25 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> I'm looking for labor and many tasks :)

Something like a space launch control center would do it?

>> Stephane: Does it need to be shown as a picture? It can be in words as
>> long as it takes less than 1000 words... :)
>
> :)
>
> I'm trying to make people using pharo understanding that the consortium and the association
> are a huge opportunity to make the future better.

I look forward to know why :)

Regards!

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

philippeback
Consortium: +1

Yesterday, Goran told us at the Squeak monday Hangout on G+ that he
was scripting the build of images for hosting on Amazon EC2 and
similar using Pharo, his domain model, OSProcess and Chef.

Now, that's business :-)

Phil

2013/3/25 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Mar 25, 2013, at 9:08 PM, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2013/3/25 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>>> or do you know how Egyptians created their obelisks? Hundreds of them
>>> were sitting in a pit and were beating again and again with small
>>> stones for moths and years, millimetre by millimetre
>>
>> I don't think that helps in the methaphor of a lot of people making
>> small contributions to produce a greater outcome because... egyptians
>> were slaves who died doing those obelisks. Are Igor, Camillo, Esteban,
>> Sven, etc. going to die? I hope not. :)
>>

> I'm looking for labor and many tasks :)
>
>> I don't know why Stephane needs that, but I understood what he wants
>> to communicate.
>> I'm trying to imagine something that represents that and then look for
>> a picture of it online.
>>
>> Stephane: Does it need to be shown as a picture? It can be in words as
>> long as it takes less than 1000 words... :)
>
> :)
>
> I'm trying to make people using pharo understanding that the consortium and the association
> are a huge opportunity to make the future better.
>
> Stef

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

philippeback
Speaking of the consortium, I think we could at least get the system listed on:

http://www.orsys.fr

I used to deliver a hell of a lot of trainings over there under this heading:

http://www.orsys.fr/orsys.asp?mode=surdomaine&code=3

and that subheading: http://www.orsys.fr/orsys.asp?mode=surdomaine&code=3#OU

I think we could add a "Formation Pharo Smalltalk"

with:

Pharo Essentials

* Learning to program with Pharo
* Pharo for the web
* Understanding the Pharo infrastructure

Pharo Advanced

* Seaside
* Seaside REST
* DCVS with Monticello
* Pharo FileSystem
* Pharo Sockets
* Crafting Morphic UIs with Spec

Pharo Experts

* Integrating Amber, Pharo, and MongoDB (e.g. Smalltalkhub style)
* Metacello
* VM
* Creating new languages in Pharo with PetitParser and friends

If one can come up with a decent list of trainings taking inspiration
from the PHP list for example, we can for sure get an appointement
with the superior powers over there and get the courses listed in the
catalog.

Whoever wants to deliver the trainings in french, please tell me, so
that we can arrange stuff. There is enough material in the PBE and
Deep into Pharo books to do what I listed above.

Also, we can think of a one-day seminar on why Pharo matters for the
industry. (covering legal aspects, IP, etc).

The fact that INRIA backs up Pharo and that Orsys is a thriving french
business in Paris would help in leveraging our value.

Now, maybe could we get this on a Consortium list in order to enlist
partners who want to get in the boat.

Is there a consortium members wiki?

Rgds,
Philippe

2013/3/25 Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

> 2013/3/25 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> I'm looking for labor and many tasks :)
>
> Something like a space launch control center would do it?
>
>>> Stephane: Does it need to be shown as a picture? It can be in words as
>>> long as it takes less than 1000 words... :)
>>
>> :)
>>
>> I'm trying to make people using pharo understanding that the consortium and the association
>> are a huge opportunity to make the future better.
>
> I look forward to know why :)
>
> Regards!

Re: looking for media to illustrate one important idea :)

stephane ducasse

>> I'm trying to make people using pharo understanding that the consortium and the association
>> are a huge opportunity to make the future better.
>
> I look forward to know why :)

Because without a legal structure how can you collect money? how can indivirduals or small companies can get
an impact?
We do not have a large company (like firefox or google for python and js) or research group like (VPR that put large amount of money into etoys): we have small SMEs and research groups and the ideas is that if many SMEs and research groups put money on the table we can move much faster and do not rely on smart engineers ***free time***.

Remember it again - I do not know what is the vision/goals of the other smalltalk distributions, but the one of Pharo is simple:
we want to give a chance to an open-source smalltalk to evolve and let people make a living with their software.

On Mar 26, 2013, at 7:52 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Speaking of the consortium, I think we could at least get the system listed on:
>
> http://www.orsys.fr
>
> I used to deliver a hell of a lot of trainings over there under this heading:
>
> http://www.orsys.fr/orsys.asp?mode=surdomaine&code=3
>
> and that subheading: http://www.orsys.fr/orsys.asp?mode=surdomaine&code=3#OU
>
> I think we could add a "Formation Pharo Smalltalk"

"Formation Conception Avancee " too

How can we do that?

> with:
>
> Pharo Essentials
>
> * Learning to program with Pharo
> * Pharo for the web
> * Understanding the Pharo infrastructure
>
> Pharo Advanced
>
> * Seaside
> * Seaside REST
> * DCVS with Monticello
> * Pharo FileSystem
> * Pharo Sockets
> * Crafting Morphic UIs with Spec
>
> Pharo Experts
>
> * Integrating Amber, Pharo, and MongoDB (e.g. Smalltalkhub style)
> * Metacello
> * VM
> * Creating new languages in Pharo with PetitParser and friends
>
> If one can come up with a decent list of trainings taking inspiration
> from the PHP list for example, we can for sure get an appointement
> with the superior powers over there and get the courses listed in the
> catalog.
>
> Whoever wants to deliver the trainings in french, please tell me, so
> that we can arrange stuff. There is enough material in the PBE and
> Deep into Pharo books to do what I listed above.

I want

> Also, we can think of a one-day seminar on why Pharo matters for the
> industry. (covering legal aspects, IP, etc).
>
> The fact that INRIA backs up Pharo and that Orsys is a thriving french
> business in Paris would help in leveraging our value.
>
> Now, maybe could we get this on a Consortium list in order to enlist
> partners who want to get in the boat.
>
> Is there a consortium members wiki?

Not for now. What do you need it for?