looking for tools to manually select ast nodes for metalinks

looking for tools to manually select ast nodes for metalinks

Steven Costiou-2

Hi,

i would like a way to define metalinks at debug time, by "visually" selecting ast nodes in the debugger. For example i would like to see a method that i am debugging and by a clic on the source code it would select the associated ast node and allow me to put a metalink right there.

- does that exist ?

- if not, does a tool to display or to navigate through metalinks already exists ?

- if not any, can somebody point me to documentation and/or ressources to extend the debugger so i can try to build it ? (i've already seen the spec book to build ui but i want to see what is possible with the debugger)

Thanks,

Steven.

Re: looking for tools to manually select ast nodes for metalinks

Ben Coman
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i would like a way to define metalinks at debug time, by "visually"
> selecting ast nodes in the debugger. For example i would like to see a
> method that i am debugging and by a clic on the source code it would select
> the associated ast node and allow me to put a metalink right there.
>
> - does that exist ?

This might get you close...

Debug into...
    1 printString

In Variables tab, select "thisContext"

In Raw tab, select method

In AST tab, select your node.

From there on, I don't know.   Please report back if you get something to work.

> - if not, does a tool to display or to navigate through metalinks already
> exists ?

I don't think so.  Pharo 6 has only the first step of having the basic
underlying system implemented.

cheers -ben

> - if not any, can somebody point me to documentation and/or ressources to
> extend the debugger so i can try to build it ? (i've already seen the spec
> book to build ui but i want to see what is possible with the debugger)

Re: looking for tools to manually select ast nodes for metalinks

Guillermo Polito
Hi Steven,

Yes there is! It's called "Suggestions". Suggestions is a project started some years ago by Gisela Decuzzi as an intern of RMoD. The main idea is to propose actions based on the AST corresponding to the cursor. This means that given the position of the cursor, suggestions already:

 - parses the code
 - selects the corresponding node
 - provides possible actions for the node. E.g.,
    - refactorings
    - code navigation
    - breakpoints and watchpoints (through Metalinks)

Check the SmartSuggestions package.

Guille

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i would like a way to define metalinks at debug time, by "visually"
> selecting ast nodes in the debugger. For example i would like to see a
> method that i am debugging and by a clic on the source code it would select
> the associated ast node and allow me to put a metalink right there.
>
> - does that exist ?

This might get you close...

Debug into...
    1 printString

In Variables tab, select "thisContext"

In Raw tab, select method

In AST tab, select your node.

From there on, I don't know.   Please report back if you get something to work.

> - if not, does a tool to display or to navigate through metalinks already
> exists ?

I don't think so.  Pharo 6 has only the first step of having the basic
underlying system implemented.

cheers -ben

> - if not any, can somebody point me to documentation and/or ressources to
> extend the debugger so i can try to build it ? (i've already seen the spec
> book to build ui but i want to see what is possible with the debugger)

Re: looking for tools to manually select ast nodes for metalinks

Steven Costiou-2

Hi Ben, Guille,

thanks !!! I will look into that =)

Steven.

Le 2017-03-20 10:39, Guillermo Polito a écrit :

Hi Steven,

Yes there is! It's called "Suggestions". Suggestions is a project started some years ago by Gisela Decuzzi as an intern of RMoD. The main idea is to propose actions based on the AST corresponding to the cursor. This means that given the position of the cursor, suggestions already:

 - parses the code
 - selects the corresponding node
 - provides possible actions for the node. E.g.,
    - refactorings
    - code navigation
    - breakpoints and watchpoints (through Metalinks)

Check the SmartSuggestions package.

Guille

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i would like a way to define metalinks at debug time, by "visually"
> selecting ast nodes in the debugger. For example i would like to see a
> method that i am debugging and by a clic on the source code it would select
> the associated ast node and allow me to put a metalink right there.
>
> - does that exist ?

This might get you close...

Debug into...
    1 printString