lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

bernhardHoefner
Hello group,
after downloading vwnc 8.0 Cincom asked me compulsory to tell my experiences with the new version. Because it may be interesting for the group as well, I forward my answers to you.

Dear madam or sir,
thank you for your kind inquiry. Actually i am using VisualWorks and his ancestors since many years (starting with ST80 V2.5, early 1990th) and was impressed from the very beginning and still today. After visiting Georg Heeg in Dortmund in 1991 our team had the impression that every behavior of the system was well considered and not one was by accident or due to restrictions of the system.
Since then I had some small or big projects. Only private and in intervals of about 2 to 10 years. Because of the long downtimes in using VisualWorks I am very sensible to changes of the system, especially when they concern tools or behavior which disappeared unfortunately with the versions of vw. Here is my list of lost functions:

1."again" (I mean this menue entry in : copy/cut/paste/again) disappeared, I think with version 5i. For details see below.
2. User placement does not work proper with osx, I don't know since when. There was a thread about this in our group.
3. The views do not remember the last used entry in a context menue since v 8.0. For details see below.
4. The result of  "printIt" is not longer highlighted since v 8.0. For details see below.
5. Mouse operate menue item "explain" missed.

There is one new function available that I like and which is in the spirit of the lost functions above: When I type a (double) quote in the system browsers code window, two (double) quotes are produced and the cursor is placed between them. This is really fine!

With my reply I hope to convince the developer team to bring the lost functions back, and moreover to encourage the team to tie in the developing tools of the former versions in terms of most working efficiency by multifunctional / "polymorph" tools and by reducing number of clicks and mouse pointer targeting - that also produce most satisfaction for the user :-) .

Thank you for your open ear,
Regards,
Bernhard Hoefner,
Frankfurt

Details, for those who don't know or do not remember the tools:

1. again:
again was like "redo", but multifunctional. "again" was very efficient when used with text replacement: you highlighted a text and typed your replacement. When you wanted to replace the next occurrence of the wrong text too, you used <operate>"again" (and because the view reminded the last used menue entry (see point 3) you only hat to press and release the operate mouse button). There was an option in "again" to replace texts for the whole file. "again" worked as well with control characters like <crlf>! The system was very efficient because it worked with a minimum of mouse clicks / mouse pointer positioning. The code still seems to remain in the system (UI.ParagraphEditor, UI.MenueBuilder) and in previous vw versions I reanimated it, but I forgot the lever to do and I think it should be included in the menue officially.

2. user placement:
I liked user placement and I think others too. The result of the former discussion in the group was, that this is not gone because of a "well considered decision" in the vw developing team, but because of problems of the UI of osx. But why does the user placement works with some osx-windows, with others not? When I think about our talk with Hans-Martin Mosner in 1991(see above)... times are changing.

3. views remember last menue selection:

4. Auto highlight of "printIt" result:
Until v 8.0 the result of "printIt" was highlighted. This means, that you had to press the <backspace>-button only once to delete that printIt-result. For example this was very useful when you tested parts of code inside a message text. With one <backspace> you came back to the original message text.

5. Mouse operate menue item "explain":
When you highlighted a keyword or message in a system browsers code window, the <operate>-explain" gave an explanation of the highlighted message. The explanation was printed direct behind the highlighted text (like it is still with "printIt") and was completely highlighted. With one <backspace> you deleted the explanation an came back to the original text (compare point 4).

Re: lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

Antony Blakey-5
Hi Bernard,

> On 9 Apr 2015, at 18:32, Bernhard Hoefner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2. user placement:
> I liked user placement and I think others too. The result of the former discussion in the group was, that this is not gone because of a "well considered decision" in the vw developing team, but because of problems of the UI of osx.

This was a well considered decision - neither OS X nor Windows apps work like this. Some X11 window managers give the user an option to place windows manually, but the feature doesn't belong within VW.

Cheers,

Antony Blakey
--------------------------
Ph: +61 438 840 787

To remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all.
 -- Elie Wiesel

Re: lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

Björn Eiderbäck-2
What about
ScheduledWindow openNewIn: Rectangle fromUser

It works as far as I know.

Cheers,
Björn

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Antony Blakey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bernard,

> On 9 Apr 2015, at 18:32, Bernhard Hoefner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2. user placement:
> I liked user placement and I think others too. The result of the former discussion in the group was, that this is not gone because of a "well considered decision" in the vw developing team, but because of problems of the UI of osx.

This was a well considered decision - neither OS X nor Windows apps work like this. Some X11 window managers give the user an option to place windows manually, but the feature doesn't belong within VW.

Cheers,

Antony Blakey
--------------------------
Ph: <a href="tel:%2B61%20438%20840%20787" value="+61438840787">+61 438 840 787

To remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all.
 -- Elie Wiesel

Re: lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

Antony Blakey-5
Hi Björn,

> On 9 Apr 2015, at 22:38, Björn Eiderbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What about
> ScheduledWindow openNewIn: Rectangle fromUser
>
> It works as far as I know.

As it should. The 'user placement' option was a setting that meant that all windows were placed by the user by default. That setting is what has been removed. You can still do it manually.

Cheers,

Antony Blakey

Re: lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

Björn Eiderbäck-2
A, now I remember that "feature".
So if one want it one could maybe hack a little bit and achieve the same effect...

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Antony Blakey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Björn,

> On 9 Apr 2015, at 22:38, Björn Eiderbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What about
> ScheduledWindow openNewIn: Rectangle fromUser
>
> It works as far as I know.

As it should. The 'user placement' option was a setting that meant that all windows were placed by the user by default. That setting is what has been removed. You can still do it manually.

Cheers,

Antony Blakey
--------------------------
Ph: <a href="tel:%2B61%20438%20840%20787" value="+61438840787">+61 438 840 787

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
  -- Denis Diderot

Re: lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

bernhardHoefner
Hello Antony,
when this was a well considered decision, then it is not a good reference for the developers who implemented this decision:
1. The option "user placement" can still be selected in "Settings"
2. With OSX it try to work for "file Browser" (but beyond all bearing), for System Browser the option has no effect at all.

But to go deeper: what should lead the development: the insufficient UI of an operating system or the awareness of the optimal way to work with windows?

Regards Bernhard

Antony, I try to live with less sins as defined by Elie Wiesel.

Am 09.04.2015 um 14:43 schrieb Antony Blakey <[hidden email]>:

Hi Bernard,

On 9 Apr 2015, at 18:32, Bernhard Hoefner <[hidden email]> wrote:

2. user placement:
I liked user placement and I think others too. The result of the former discussion in the group was, that this is not gone because of a "well considered decision" in the vw developing team, but because of problems of the UI of osx.

This was a well considered decision - neither OS X nor Windows apps work like this. Some X11 window managers give the user an option to place windows manually, but the feature doesn't belong within VW.

Cheers,

Antony Blakey

Re: lost funktions in vwnc v.8.0

Thomas Brodt-2
To contribute another opinion on that:
I think that you should separate developer needs from end user needs. While I agree that user defined placement is not made for the end user of our application, I as the developer of the application can profit a lot of e.g. user placement. I have a two monitor setup and it can be very practical and time saving to open a new browser or debugger on what monitor and where I want it to be placed in relation to the application windows, and of which size. The last position I opened a browser or debugger might not be the best choice for the next time. Moving and then resizing windows after opening all the time is unnecessary and time consuming, if I can have it all in one step.

I want to strengthen the point that Cincom should not see Visualworks as their end user application and only provide features that are relevant for end user applications.
Visualworks as "application" is a development environment for developers where other features might make sense, that have nothing to do with the features that these developers provide in the real end user applications they develop.

So Visualworks must provide both, all the features that developers need for the end user, and it must also have (maybe different) features for the developers to help them develop applications the best they can.

And, as Visualworks/Smalltalk user for decades now, you just get used to these features and missing them slows you down. And slowing down a developer costs money ;-) Some features seem awkward in the beginning, but once you get used to them, you see the profit. I can imagine that Cincom wants to make Visualworks attractive for new users and adopt the standards so users (end users or developers as end users?) feel comfortable. But as often, non-standard doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense.

Thomas

Trying to reduce my own sins ;-)

Am 09.04.2015 um 22:07 schrieb Bernhard Höfner:
[...]

Hello Thomas,
many thanks for your answer. You wrote what I felt but wasn't able to explain.
VisualWorks advertise to be the most comfortable and efficient developing tool and I think they are right. One of the (or the only?) reasons is, that the developers of VisualWorks themself used its ancestors to develop Smalltalk / VisualWorks. So they knew how to make ST80 most efficient and they made it most efficient. Finally because it is in the human nature to improve his working environment. This makes him happy, efficient working tools are the precondition for flow and satisfaction.
What about a choice in the "settings"-tool for "end user" or "developer"? And for developer mode: don't throw any of the nice effincient tools that the first smalltalk engineers created. They did it really well considered. And I like to enjoy further the flow, when I am using VisualWorks.

Regards,
Bernhard

Am 10.04.2015 um 10:06 schrieb Thomas Brodt:
[...]

These comments are my PERSONAL OPINION, not official GUI/Tools team position (let alone Cincom official position). And in any case, this being vwnc (rather than vw-dev) I can't speak about Visualworks plans.

I currently live in emacs for everything (including using eshell etc). All my Visualworks, Packer, Vagrant etc tooling is in emacs, with support for remote VW testing/invocation/scripting over multiple machines, multiple images, releases, word sizes, done in elisp. As a heavy emacs user I (by definition) understand the idiosyncrasies of developer vs. end-user tooling. We developers tolerate non-standard UI that increases our productivity because we live in our tools, and the cost-benefit of the learning curve and cognitive dissonance with the native platform is positive. And as a long-term (and current) Lisp/Haskell et al developer I appreciate that popular != best.

But I would contend that this: "But to go deeper: what should lead the development: the insufficient UI of an operating system or the awareness of the optimal way to work with windows?" is not 'true'. That is not the 'optimal' way to work with windows in any objective sense, and hence can't be ascribed to the failure of the UI. In fact I think that window placement using the mouse is highly suboptimal. In fact, just about any use of the mouse is suboptimal *from a mechanical perspective*.

Personally I use a tiling approach on OS X, and have some Mjolnir configuration that lets me arrange and place the windows of any application using key commands. I urge you to check out https://github.com/sdegutis/mjolnir. I am happy to share my customisation with anyone.

I also don't think that the original ST80 is a great model for efficiency. We shouldn't fetishise ST80, or it's inventors. IMO both the language and the environment should change to take advantage of new information, research, habits, underlying integration, standards, and technology. Namespaces are a good example of language improvement (and there are many more I would like - better literals, implicit receivers, shortcut block args, even lisp-style macros - heresy!). IMO ST80 is not a perfect jewel that cannot be improved. And therein lies some conflict between those who would like ST to be upgraded only in order to interoperate with new technology, versus those (like me) who would like the technology to evolve.

> [...]
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>> Trying to reduce my own sins ;-)
>>
>> Am 09.04.2015 um 22:07 schrieb Bernhard Höfner:
>>> Hello Antony,
>>> when this was a well considered decision, then it is not a good reference for the developers who implemented this decision:
>>> 1. The option "user placement" can still be selected in "Settings"
>>> 2. With OSX it try to work for "file Browser" (but beyond all bearing), for System Browser the option has no effect at all.
>>>
>>> But to go deeper: what should lead the development: the insufficient UI of an operating system or the awareness of the optimal way to work with windows?
>>>
>>> Regards Bernhard
>>>
>>> Antony, I try to live with less sins as defined by Elie Wiesel.

Antony Blakey
Ph: +61 438 840 787

A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
  -- George Bernard Shaw