lost paint palettes

Kathleen Harness-2
Hello,
Is there a way to retrieve a paint palette that has been moved out of sight but the paint scrim still is visible? And, can we prevent this from happening?

Several times this past week with middle beginners, the palette was gone and they could not tell me what they did. I know the paints' halo does not have an X but it is possible to use the black handle and move it completely out of sight. Sometimes when that happened the paint brush was the only cursor and the project could not be continued and sometimes the cursor appeared when outside of the paint scrim but there was no way to trash the scrim and the project had to be abandoned, started again.

Looking further into this,the paint palette's white menu includes 'send to back' which is a command that can not be undone because it puts the palette behind the scrim. I tried to open the world menu to see if 'round up strays' would help, but the world halo will not appear when the scrim is visible and the palette is missing.

It is discouraging for beginners who lose the work they have done up to that point that day. In classroom use this is a problem for the student and for the teacher because it is course work and not casual play at home.

CAPLock-ALT- . does not help in this case.
Regards,
Kathleen

Re: lost paint palettes

K K Subbu
On Saturday 13 Oct 2012 10:18:24 AM Kathleen Harness wrote:
> Several times this past week with middle beginners, the palette was gone
> and they could not tell me what they did. I know the paints' halo does not
> have an X but it is possible to use the black handle and move it
> completely out of sight.
Which version of Etoys? In 4.1, dragging PaintBox outside of the screen area
sticks it against the edge or corner. It doesn't disappear fully. If it is
collapsed, you should see a small window along the top left side of the screen
to restore it.
> Sometimes when that happened the paint brush was
> the only cursor and the project could not be continued and sometimes the
> cursor appeared when outside of the paint scrim but there was no way to
> trash the scrim and the project had to be abandoned, started again.
You can select the 'onion skin' (SketchEditor) by shift-drag rectangle
selection, just like you would select a group of objects. However, trashing
this does not close the palette automatically :-(. You may have to get a
holder, drop it in and then trash the holder.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: lost paint palettes

Harness, Kathleen
Subbu,
I am using Etoys 5 here at home and the students were using the latest version of Etoys-to-Go.
In either case, slide the paint palette out of sight, (I see the resistance you describe as sticking to an edge) but then click on the world and the paint palette's halo vanishes, the palette is out of sight and the paint area is still there.

Using the Shift-drag rectangle discards that lonesome paint area but clicking for a new paint tool from the Navigator Bar brings the message "you can only paint one object at a time".

This is not an urgent problem just something I noticed and wondered if it could be prevented in the next release. As it stands now when this happens, students get to practice patience and resiliency.
Regards,
Kathleen

On Sunday 14 Oct 2012 12:42:16 PM Harness, Kathleen wrote:
> Subbu,
> I am using Etoys 5 here at home and the students were using the latest
> version of Etoys-to-Go. In either case, slide the paint palette out of
> sight, (I see the resistance you describe as sticking to an edge) but then
> click on the world and the paint palette's halo vanishes, the palette is
> out of sight and the paint area is still there.
I just downloaded Etoys-To-Go-5.0 from squeakland and couldn't reproduce this
behavior. When I drag the palette off the right edge, the palette's border
sticks out at that edge. If I now click on the world, the halo does vanish but
the border is still stuck at the edge. I could restore the palette back into
the screen area by dragging on the border.

> Using the Shift-drag rectangle discards that lonesome paint area but
> clicking for a new paint tool from the Navigator Bar brings the message
> "you can only paint one object at a time".
I couldn't reproduce this too. If I drag-select the sketch editor skin and
delete it, the paintbox still hangs around but if I click the "make a
painting" button, I get a new sketch editor associated with the old paintbox.

BTW, you can bring up the world menu with one of ALT-COMMA/CTRL-COMMA/CMD-
COMMA and then use "debug..." to "explore the world". The onion skin shows up
under "root->submorphs->SketchEditorMorph" and its associated PaintBoxMorph is
held in its palette attribute. Sketch editor creates a new paintbox only when
necessary.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: lost paint palettes

Harness, Kathleen
Hi Subbu, .
This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left click and drag and it does show along the edge.
Drag the paint palette using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that paint palette.

After doing the above steps and shift drag around the remaining paint area rectangle, the X will delete the area. Then try to open a new paint tool from the Nav Bar and I get a paint area rectangle and brush still showing and  the message about only one paint tool at a time. Other objects in Supplies, eg Text are still available for use as usual, it is just paint tool's palette that is gone.

I am not explaining this well. We may need to Google + screen share so I can show this happening. It breaks every time for me.

Thank you for attributing to me deeper knowledge than I have . . . I do not know how to use this information even when I follow the steps "use "debug..." to "explore the world". The onion skin shows up under "root->submorphs->SketchEditorMorph" and its associated PaintBoxMorph is
held in its palette attribute. Sketch editor creates a new paintbox only when necessary."
Regards,
Kathleen

On Sunday 14 Oct 2012 12:42:16 PM Harness, Kathleen wrote:
> Subbu,
> I am using Etoys 5 here at home and the students were using the latest
> version of Etoys-to-Go. In either case, slide the paint palette out of
> sight, (I see the resistance you describe as sticking to an edge) but then
> click on the world and the paint palette's halo vanishes, the palette is
> out of sight and the paint area is still there.
I just downloaded Etoys-To-Go-5.0 from squeakland and couldn't reproduce this
behavior. When I drag the palette off the right edge, the palette's border
sticks out at that edge. If I now click on the world, the halo does vanish but
the border is still stuck at the edge. I could restore the palette back into
the screen area by dragging on the border.

> Using the Shift-drag rectangle discards that lonesome paint area but
> clicking for a new paint tool from the Navigator Bar brings the message
> "you can only paint one object at a time".
I couldn't reproduce this too. If I drag-select the sketch editor skin and
delete it, the paintbox still hangs around but if I click the "make a
painting" button, I get a new sketch editor associated with the old paintbox.

BTW, you can bring up the world menu with one of ALT-COMMA/CTRL-COMMA/CMD-
COMMA and then use "debug..." to "explore the world". The onion skin shows up
under "root->submorphs->SketchEditorMorph" and its associated PaintBoxMorph is
held in its palette attribute. Sketch editor creates a new paintbox only when
necessary.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: lost paint palettes

Karl Ramberg
Hi
I can not reproduce as you describe.

I can not shift drag the paint area.
I can move the paintbox virtually off screen but for the most part it
will move back so it's border is showing.
But I can always grab it and move it back onscreen.

Side note: I can see that menu item 'send to back' can be harmful for
the paintbox.
Especially when 'unlimited paint area' preference is turned on.

Karl

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Harness, Kathleen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Subbu, .
> This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
> Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left click and drag and it does show along the edge.
> Drag the paint palette using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that paint palette.
>
> After doing the above steps and shift drag around the remaining paint area rectangle, the X will delete the area. Then try to open a new paint tool from the Nav Bar and I get a paint area rectangle and brush still showing and  the message about only one paint tool at a time. Other objects in Supplies, eg Text are still available for use as usual, it is just paint tool's palette that is gone.
>
> I am not explaining this well. We may need to Google + screen share so I can show this happening. It breaks every time for me.
>
> Thank you for attributing to me deeper knowledge than I have . . . I do not know how to use this information even when I follow the steps "use "debug..." to "explore the world". The onion skin shows up under "root->submorphs->SketchEditorMorph" and its associated PaintBoxMorph is
> held in its palette attribute. Sketch editor creates a new paintbox only when necessary."
> Regards,
> Kathleen

Re: lost paint palettes

Steve Thomas
Kathleen,

I was able to reproduce on a Mac running 5.0 by dragging completely off the screen.

To get the Paint Box back (does not handle the case if they drag it to the trash):
  1. ALT-COMMA/CTRL-COMMA/CMD-COMMA (Mac)
  2. From the Menu click <playfield options...>
  3. From Playfield Options Menu click <round up strays>
I agree this should be prevented and/or provide a simple Key Combination to retrieve it.

Stephen

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Subbu, .
> This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
> Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left click and drag and it does show along the edge.
> Drag the paint palette using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that paint palette.
>
> After doing the above steps and shift drag around the remaining paint area rectangle, the X will delete the area. Then try to open a new paint tool from the Nav Bar and I get a paint area rectangle and brush still showing and  the message about only one paint tool at a time. Other objects in Supplies, eg Text are still available for use as usual, it is just paint tool's palette that is gone.
>
> I am not explaining this well. We may need to Google + screen share so I can show this happening. It breaks every time for me.
>
> Thank you for attributing to me deeper knowledge than I have . . . I do not know how to use this information even when I follow the steps "use "debug..." to "explore the world". The onion skin shows up under "root->submorphs->SketchEditorMorph" and its associated PaintBoxMorph is
> held in its palette attribute. Sketch editor creates a new paintbox only when necessary."
> Regards,
> Kathleen

Re: lost paint palettes

K K Subbu
On Sunday 14 Oct 2012 7:02:51 PM Harness, Kathleen wrote:
> Hi Subbu, .
> This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
> Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left
> click and drag and it does show along the edge. Drag the paint palette
> using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little
> of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles
> vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that
> paint palette.
Thanks to Steve for duplicating the error on Mac. I was trying it on Ubuntu
12.04 and don't have a Mac handy. The behavior appears to be platform-specific.
Steve's suggestion to use "round up strays" is an excellent one, esp. when
combined with "fence enabled" for the world. It prevents objects from
disappearing off the screen.

Please ignore my other suggestions about deleting onion skins and tracing
objects through debug. Those are unnecessarily complicated and off-track. The
juice is not worth the squeeze.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: lost paint palettes

Harness, Kathleen
Hi Steve,
Line 1 below does not work on my PC but CAPSLock-Alt-COMMA does work. The keystrokes are required as the world halo handles will not appear when the paint palette is not visible and the paint area rectangle still shows.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Subbu, .
> This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
> Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left click and drag and it does show along the edge.
> Drag the paint palette using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that paint palette.
>
> After doing the above steps and shift drag around the remaining paint area rectangle, the X will delete the area. Then try to open a new paint tool from the Nav Bar and I get a paint area rectangle and brush still showing and  the message about only one paint tool at a time. Other objects in Supplies, eg Text are still available for use as usual, it is just paint tool's palette that is gone.
>
> I am not explaining this well. We may need to Google + screen share so I can show this happening. It breaks every time for me.
>
> Thank you for attributing to me deeper knowledge than I have . . . I do not know how to use this information even when I follow the steps "use "debug..." to "explore the world". The onion skin shows up under "root->submorphs->SketchEditorMorph" and its associated PaintBoxMorph is
> held in its palette attribute. Sketch editor creates a new paintbox only when necessary."
> Regards,
> Kathleen

Re: lost paint palettes

Harness, Kathleen
Subbu,
Thanks for the follow up.
And a special thanks for "the juice is not worth the squeeze". It great to laugh first thing in the morning. It will echo a long time in my head.
Kathleen
On Sunday 14 Oct 2012 7:02:51 PM Harness, Kathleen wrote:
> Hi Subbu, .
> This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
> Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left
> click and drag and it does show along the edge. Drag the paint palette
> using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little
> of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles
> vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that
> paint palette.
Thanks to Steve for duplicating the error on Mac. I was trying it on Ubuntu
12.04 and don't have a Mac handy. The behavior appears to be platform-specific.
Steve's suggestion to use "round up strays" is an excellent one, esp. when
combined with "fence enabled" for the world. It prevents objects from
disappearing off the screen.

Please ignore my other suggestions about deleting onion skins and tracing
objects through debug. Those are unnecessarily complicated and off-track. The
juice is not worth the squeeze.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: lost paint palettes

Bert Freudenberg
On 15.10.2012, at 02:38, K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sunday 14 Oct 2012 7:02:51 PM Harness, Kathleen wrote:
>> Hi Subbu, .
>> This below is using Etoys 5.0 on my PC.
>> Drag the paint palette out of view of the right side of the world with left
>> click and drag and it does show along the edge. Drag the paint palette
>> using the black halo handle and it moves out of sight leaving just a little
>> of the set of halo handles showing. Click on the world and those handles
>> vanish leaving just the paint area rectangle and no way to get to that
>> paint palette.
> Thanks to Steve for duplicating the error on Mac. I was trying it on Ubuntu
> 12.04 and don't have a Mac handy. The behavior appears to be platform-specific.

The difference appears to be that the Mac VM continues to send mouse events even when the pointer moved out of the Squeak window. Apparently on Linux it doesn't?

If so then it would be very simple to clip mouse movement to the window size inside of Squeak.

> Steve's suggestion to use "round up strays" is an excellent one, esp. when
> combined with "fence enabled" for the world. It prevents objects from
> disappearing off the screen.

The fence is only used to restrict movement for the "forward by" tile.

- Bert -

Re: lost paint palettes

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
Aha! Shift-drag is not in the Etoys Reference Manual. Thanks. I'll add
it to the User Interface chapter this afternoon.

I just tested this for the case of a Paintbox moved behind its Sketch
Editor, where I can grab the object in the background if I drag so as
to surround it but not the Sketch Area.

It turns out that the Sketch Editor does not respond to a right-click
with the eToyFriendly preference on, but does respond with it off. So
that's a second method.

On Sun, October 14, 2012 3:45 am, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Saturday 13 Oct 2012 10:18:24 AM Kathleen Harness wrote:
>> Several times this past week with middle beginners, the palette was gone
>> and they could not tell me what they did. I know the paints' halo does
>> not
>> have an X but it is possible to use the black handle and move it
>> completely out of sight.
> Which version of Etoys? In 4.1, dragging PaintBox outside of the screen
> area
> sticks it against the edge or corner. It doesn't disappear fully. If it is
> collapsed, you should see a small window along the top left side of the
> screen
> to restore it.
>> Sometimes when that happened the paint brush was
>> the only cursor and the project could not be continued and sometimes the
>> cursor appeared when outside of the paint scrim but there was no way to
>> trash the scrim and the project had to be abandoned, started again.
> You can select the 'onion skin' (SketchEditor) by shift-drag rectangle
> selection, just like you would select a group of objects. However,
> trashing
> this does not close the palette automatically :-(. You may have to get a
> holder, drop it in and then trash the holder.
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

Re: lost paint palettes

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
This is not the behavior I observe in Etoys 5.0. First, by paint
palette I assume you mean PaintBox. I can move it with the black Halo
tool or by clicking its frame, but I cannot move it entirely
off-screen. (Oops. I just now tried harder to do it, and crashed
Etoys. Yup, confirmed. Oh, well, another bug to report...Done.
SQ-1128)

Even if I move it to a corner, so that the Halo tools all overlap, I
can still select the black tool by hovering with the mouse and moving
around until I see its balloon help. I can also still click the
visible corner of the PaintBox to pick it up.

Have I missed something?

On Sun, October 14, 2012 8:42 am, Harness, Kathleen wrote:

> Subbu,
> I am using Etoys 5 here at home and the students were using the latest
> version of Etoys-to-Go.
> In either case, slide the paint palette out of sight, (I see the
> resistance you describe as sticking to an edge) but then click on the
> world and the paint palette's halo vanishes, the palette is out of sight
> and the paint area is still there.
>
> Using the Shift-drag rectangle discards that lonesome paint area but
> clicking for a new paint tool from the Navigator Bar brings the message
> "you can only paint one object at a time".
>
> This is not an urgent problem just something I noticed and wondered if it
> could be prevented in the next release. As it stands now when this
> happens, students get to practice patience and resiliency.
> Regards,
> Kathleen

Edward Cherlin
I do not get this behavior in Etoys 5.0 on Ubuntu Linux. When I drag
the PaintBox out of view with the black handle, the border pops back
into the window. Now, if I move it so that the short edge is at the
edge of the window and then rotate it with the blue Halo tool or with
a script, I can get it to disappear, with PaintBox's x = 1411, and
PaintBox's left at 1293. But then I can get it back on the screen
using the _round up strays_ selection in _playfield options..._ on the
world menu (ctrl-alt-w or cmd-alt-w on different platforms).

Subbu, which platform are you using?