lots of questions of a newbie :)

12

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The Edit Design is present since the 1.0.17. You should see it when you log in as admin.

Which is the easiest way of knowing what version I have ? I am using Damien's PharoWeb imagen...

This is probably your problem. I do not know what gets released in Damien's image. When we refer to versions, we refer to the images released on www.piercms.com/download. I would suggest to use these ones for starters.

Nice :) Now I see like this is a new version...I was using an old one.

However, I would love to have my Pharo imagen and being able to update Pier, instead of using Pier image. Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance!

Mariano

Cheers,
Doru

What commands do you actually see after logging in?

Tonight I answer this :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 17 Mar 2009, at 22:02, John McKeon wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM, John McKeon <[hidden email]> wrote:

The "Edit Design" command lets you edit the CSS style-sheet. Also you
can use the mechanisms of Seaside, e.g. WAFileLibrary or #style
methods.

That's the main problem. I do not see "Edit design" command :(   I am admin and have all the permissions, but I don't see it.

Ahh you are using v1.1

So ?
The latest version 1.1.1 has it built in. Version 1.1 you need to add it. I don't think it was in that version.
It is in the Pier-Design package which is in the pieraddons repository.

You want to update the Pier code using Monticello and the repository http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier (I found its a good idea to keep an eye on the other repositories as well. /seaside /magritte and /pier as well as /pieraddons and /magritteaddons if use any of the addons.

I would like to update trought Universe rather than MC. I don't know the dependences of each package and I also do not know in which order I have to do it. Is there an script to do this with mc ?

In universes, select Web Development and Pier-Design and add that. You MAY have to manually add the command to the environment.

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair, you will end up with a messy haircut."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Даниил Баскаков-2
May be it's good to show Pier version somewhere, e.g. on
pier/configure page as Seaside does?

2009/3/18 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
>> The Edit Design is present since the 1.0.17. You should see it when you
>> log in as admin.
>>
>> Which is the easiest way of knowing what version I have ? I am using
>> Damien's PharoWeb imagen...
>
> This is probably your problem. I do not know what gets released in Damien's
> image. When we refer to versions, we refer to the images released on
> www.piercms.com/download. I would suggest to use these ones for starters.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> What commands do you actually see after logging in?
>>
>> Tonight I answer this :)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 17 Mar 2009, at 22:02, John McKeon wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM, John McKeon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> The "Edit Design" command lets you edit the CSS style-sheet. Also you
>> can use the mechanisms of Seaside, e.g. WAFileLibrary or #style
>> methods.
>>
>> That's the main problem. I do not see "Edit design" command :(   I am
>> admin and have all the permissions, but I don't see it.
>>
>> Ahh you are using v1.1
>>
>> So ?
>> The latest version 1.1.1 has it built in. Version 1.1 you need to add it.
>> I don't think it was in that version.
>> It is in the Pier-Design package which is in the pieraddons repository.
>>

>> You want to update the Pier code using Monticello and the repository
>> http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier (I found its a good idea to keep an eye
>> on the other repositories as well. /seaside /magritte and /pier as well as
>> /pieraddons and /magritteaddons if use any of the addons.
>>
>> I would like to update trought Universe rather than MC. I don't know the
>> dependences of each package and I also do not know in which order I have to
>> do it. Is there an script to do this with mc ?
>>

>> In universes, select Web Development and Pier-Design and add that. You MAY
>> have to manually add the command to the environment.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair, you will end
>> up with a messy haircut."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Dennis Schetinin
May be it's good to show Pier version somewhere, e.g. on
pier/configure page as Seaside does?

(As for me) it would be much better to have (some kind of) installation scripts for (at least) some typical configurations of Pier (or even better for every pluggable part of it and/or extension) with all the dependecies... in deferent environments (yes, I mean Pharo...) :) So the version of Pier would be a version of scrip used to set up it. Otherwise it's not clear what is 'version'?

Though installation problems is the is the common problem of most Squeak's projects, right?

--
Dennis Schetinin

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

John McKeon
Perhaps I misspoke when I mentioned versions. After thinking about it,  the Edit Design command missing from MY 1.0.17 AND 1.1 Pier installations was probably because I was installing Pier in a Squeak image using the SqueakMap package loader (!). It wasn't until I downloaded the one-click v1.1.1 from the Pier website that I ever saw the "new" command.

I have had to revert back to a Squeak image for other reasons and have built Pier in it starting with the 1.1 version from SqueakMap (mostly because it installs Seaside and Magritte nicely, saving alot of work). Then by loading all the latest packages in the public repositories (including select packages from the addon repository including Design and Setup;) using the Monticello browser. It really is not a difficult task. But it did teach me to use Monticello to keep Pier, and everything else, is sync with the public repository.

My apologies for causing the confusion.

Warm regards
John McKeon

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> wrote:
May be it's good to show Pier version somewhere, e.g. on
pier/configure page as Seaside does?

(As for me) it would be much better to have (some kind of) installation scripts for (at least) some typical configurations of Pier (or even better for every pluggable part of it and/or extension) with all the dependecies... in deferent environments (yes, I mean Pharo...) :) So the version of Pier would be a version of scrip used to set up it. Otherwise it's not clear what is 'version'?

Though installation problems is the is the common problem of most Squeak's projects, right?

--
Dennis Schetinin

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Damien Cassou-3
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, I would love to have my Pharo imagen and being able to update Pier,
> instead of using Pier image. Is this possible ?

Sure, to install the latest releases of Pier and Magritte type:

Installer lukas
        project: 'magritte';
        install: 'Magritte-All'.

Installer lukas
        project: 'pier';
        install: 'Pier-All';
        install: 'Pier-Squeak-Persistency'.

Installer lukas
        project: 'pieraddons';
        install: 'Pier-Design';
        install: 'Pier-Documents';
        install: 'Pier-EditorEnh';
        install: 'Pier-Google';
        install: 'Pier-LightBox';
        install: 'Pier-Links';
        install: 'Pier-Randomizer';
        install: 'Pier-Setup';
        install: 'Pier-SyntaxHighlighter';
        install: 'Pier-TagCloud';
        install: 'Pier-Titles';
        install: 'Pier-Twitter';
        install: 'Sitemap'.

You can also use a more recent image like pharo0.1-10250web09.03.2.zip
which already contains the latest versions of Pier and Magritte:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

And if you want to start from scratch, after loading all these
packages, you can also execute:

PRDistribution new register.

This will replace the existent Pier kernel with a new one and it will
initialize it with several default structures and settings.

Damien, perhaps it would be good to execute that in the PharoWeb image
as well.

Cheers,
Tudor

On 19 Mar 2009, at 08:56, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> However, I would love to have my Pharo imagen and being able to
>> update Pier,
>> instead of using Pier image. Is this possible ?
>
> Sure, to install the latest releases of Pier and Magritte type:
>
> Installer lukas
> project: 'magritte';
> install: 'Magritte-All'.
>
> Installer lukas
> project: 'pier';
> install: 'Pier-All';
> install: 'Pier-Squeak-Persistency'.
>
> Installer lukas
> project: 'pieraddons';
> install: 'Pier-Design';
> install: 'Pier-Documents';
> install: 'Pier-EditorEnh';
> install: 'Pier-Google';
> install: 'Pier-LightBox';
> install: 'Pier-Links';
> install: 'Pier-Randomizer';
> install: 'Pier-Setup';
> install: 'Pier-SyntaxHighlighter';
> install: 'Pier-TagCloud';
> install: 'Pier-Titles';
> install: 'Pier-Twitter';
> install: 'Sitemap'.
>
> You can also use a more recent image like pharo0.1-10250web09.03.2.zip
> which already contains the latest versions of Pier and Magritte:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien, perhaps it would be good to execute that in the PharoWeb image as
> well.

I agree

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Tudor Girba-3
Cool :)

Doru

On 19 Mar 2009, at 09:33, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Damien, perhaps it would be good to execute that in the PharoWeb
>> image as
>> well.
>
> I agree
>

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: lots of questions of a newbie :)

Tudor Girba-3
Hi John,

I am glad it all worked out.

Please do not apologize for not knowing upfront the answer to your
question :). Instead, just keep on asking questions. This mailing list
is made for such questions.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we'll know, we'll still value a chef."