macintosh clipboard and images

johnmci
A couple of years ago the Sophie team built out the logic to enable
the cut/copy/paste of a tremendous amount of clipboard data types in
and out of Squeak.

For the macintosh this include image data, data from selections made
in the finder, and oh I don't know it seemed like 42 flavours of
Textual data.

it seems a shame to let that go all to waste and let Pharo languish
with UTF-8. The problem has always been Oh EToys won't support FFI
so progress on this front seems dim.

However I'm wondering if there is any interested if I port the Sophie
clipboard work to Pharo? Using FFI for the macintosh & Windows, where
windows
requires QuickTime for Window.

Note the Sophie team decided because Quicktime for Window was a pre-
requirement for iTunes that  well everyone has iTunes on windows now...

PS I note there are some hassles, Microsoft word for example sticks
both the TIFF for the page, the UTF-16, UTF-8, ascii, macroman etc. on
the the clipboard
for a page. Very difficult to figure out what to do for that, in that
case we knew the target was either image data, or text data, since we
knew what the target was,
  but for Pharo I"m not sure what the solution would be.

--
=
=

Re: macintosh clipboard and images

Michael Rueger-6
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:15 AM, John M
McIntosh<[hidden email]> wrote:

> However I'm wondering if there is any interested if I port the Sophie
> clipboard work to Pharo? Using FFI for the macintosh & Windows, where
> windows
> requires QuickTime for Window.

Hmm, I don't think the clipboard code needs Quicktime on Windows.

I would rather vote for doing this in a plugin, extending on the
Enhanced/ExtendedClipboard plugin.

Michael

Re: macintosh clipboard and images

John

I do not have the technical background to reply but pharo is interested.

On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:15 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> A couple of years ago the Sophie team built out the logic to enable
> the cut/copy/paste of a tremendous amount of clipboard data types in
> and out of Squeak.
>
> For the macintosh this include image data, data from selections made
> in the finder, and oh I don't know it seemed like 42 flavours of
> Textual data.
>
> it seems a shame to let that go all to waste and let Pharo languish
> with UTF-8. The problem has always been Oh EToys won't support FFI
> so progress on this front seems dim.
>
> However I'm wondering if there is any interested if I port the Sophie
> clipboard work to Pharo? Using FFI for the macintosh & Windows, where
> windows
> requires QuickTime for Window.
>
> Note the Sophie team decided because Quicktime for Window was a pre-
> requirement for iTunes that  well everyone has iTunes on windows
> now...
>
> PS I note there are some hassles, Microsoft word for example sticks
> both the TIFF for the page, the UTF-16, UTF-8, ascii, macroman etc. on
> the the clipboard
> for a page. Very difficult to figure out what to do for that, in that
> case we knew the target was either image data, or text data, since we
> knew what the target was,
>  but for Pharo I"m not sure what the solution would be.
>
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
> squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

Re: macintosh clipboard and images

johnmci
Quicktime is used on the macintosh to translate TIFF to squeak Forms &
back. Since that is the
preferred graphic on the clipboard on the mac.  Windows comes along
for the ride which then makes
PNG translation much faster since it's done in by C libraries versus
smalltlak code.

--
=
=