magma?

Giles Bowkett
Are people using Magma a lot? Should I consider it "ready for prime
time"? I have an app where an OODBMS might be a lot more useful than
an RDBMS, but it's hard to really tell how feasible Magma is (Gemstone
doesn't appear to be feasible because it isn't open source).

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Re: magma?

Chris Muller
Giles, this question was just asked on the Magma list.  The consensus
from those few brave enough to try it has been, "yes", Magma is stable.

By installing the Magma tester package from SqueakMap, you can see all
the complex test cases that go well beyond even what most typical
applications do (just view MagmaTestCase).

It's also fully-supported, should you happen across a question or
issue.

 - Chris

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:13:41 -0800
> From: "Giles Bowkett" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Seaside] magma?
> To: "The Squeak Enterprise Aubergines Server - general discussion."
> <[hidden email]>
>
> Are people using Magma a lot? Should I consider it "ready for prime
> time"? I have an app where an OODBMS might be a lot more useful than
> an RDBMS, but it's hard to really tell how feasible Magma is
> (Gemstone
> doesn't appear to be feasible because it isn't open source).
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
> http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
> http://gilesgoatboy.blogspot.com

Re: magma?

NorbertHartl
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:13 -0800, Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Are people using Magma a lot? Should I consider it "ready for prime
> time"? I have an app where an OODBMS might be a lot more useful than
> an RDBMS, but it's hard to really tell how feasible Magma is (Gemstone
> doesn't appear to be feasible because it isn't open source).

Hi Gilles,

I used magma for two month now and it appears to be pretty much
stable. I didn't come to any data corruption or misbehaviour.
And I killed the image very often! Using Magmacollections and
ReadStrategies you can get a decent speed in accessing things.

I switched to Glorp two days ago. This has nothing to do with
Magma. It's just a new insight that on my project the benefits
of an RDBMS are greater than a OODBMS. I personally am looking
forward to do an project using Magma.

Hope it helps,

Norbert

P.S.: I enjoyed your screencast very much!