making O/Ecompletion even better

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi romain

Often when I edit code, the completion works well but I end up been forced to delete part of the text manually.
Here is the scenario

        classDefinedSelector foo...
        ^
        cursor

        Then I type meta

        the system proposes me metaclassDefinedSelector
        I type enter

        and I get

        metaclassDefinedSelector classDefinedSelector foo
                                            ^

        so I have to remove by hand classDefinedSelector.

So it would be good if we could eat the current text when doing the substitution.

Am I the only one getting such behavior?

Re: making O/Ecompletion even better

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: making O/Ecompletion even better

Tudor Girba
Hi Stef,

No you are not :).

I also mentioned once two more issues:
- Enter should not trigger completion because it interferes with code
formatting. I would only keep tab as a means to trigger completion and
to select something
- right now, when pressing the down key because you saw a good
completion item in the second position there is a visible delay
because the ECompletion is triggered. ECompletion should either be
integrated in the OCompletion directly, or should be triggered only
when we hit the bottom of the three items. In the current form, having
the completion item in the second position is almost as bad as not
having it at all.

Unfortunately, I do not have time to look into these issues, but I can
offer testing :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Apr 2010, at 15:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi romain
>
> Often when I edit code, the completion works well but I end up been
> forced to delete part of the text manually.
> Here is the scenario
>

> classDefinedSelector foo...
> ^
> cursor
>
> Then I type meta
>
> the system proposes me metaclassDefinedSelector
> I type enter
>
> and I get
>
> metaclassDefinedSelector classDefinedSelector foo
>    ^
>
> so I have to remove by hand classDefinedSelector.
>
> So it would be good if we could eat the current text when doing the
> substitution.
>
> Am I the only one getting such behavior?
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

On Apr 25, 2010, at 3:55 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> No you are not :).
>
> I also mentioned once two more issues:
> - Enter should not trigger completion because it interferes with code formatting. I would only keep tab as a means to trigger completion and to select something

        yes you are probably right. I was in favor of this inverse... but I learned :)

> - right now, when pressing the down key because you saw a good completion item in the second position there is a visible delay because the ECompletion is triggered. ECompletion should either be integrated in the OCompletion directly, or should be triggered only when we hit the bottom of the three items. In the current form, having the completion item in the second position is almost as bad as not having it at all.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have time to look into these issues, but I can offer testing :)

romain :)
please....... with the eye of the cat in shrek

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Apr 2010, at 15:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi romain
>>
>> Often when I edit code, the completion works well but I end up been forced to delete part of the text manually.
>> Here is the scenario
>>

>> classDefinedSelector foo...
>> ^
>> cursor
>>
>> Then I type meta
>>
>> the system proposes me metaclassDefinedSelector
>> I type enter
>>
>> and I get
>>
>> metaclassDefinedSelector classDefinedSelector foo
>>    ^
>>
>> so I have to remove by hand classDefinedSelector.
>>
>> So it would be good if we could eat the current text when doing the substitution.
>>
>> Am I the only one getting such behavior?
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: making O/Ecompletion even better

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
So it would be good if we could eat the current text when doing the substitution.
I would add one twist to that: only if the remaining part of the word matches the tail end of the selected completion.

Equally as disruptive as what you correctly discribed is:
        bar foo...
        ^
        cursor

        Then I type meta

        the system proposes metaclassDefinedSelector
        I type enter

        and I get

        metaclassDefinedSelector foo

Where is my bar!!!

Sean

Cheers,
Sean

Re: making O/Ecompletion even better

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I just dug up MacVim to double-check...

I also always found not adding a space after completion to flow better than having to delete the space at the end of the word, even if it may require a few extra key strokes over the course of a line; because I don't have to do a mental double hop to 'correct the correction' and my finger is right on the spacebar anyway.

Otherwise, I agree it works awesomely well :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: making O/Ecompletion even better

Romain Robbes-2
Thanks all for the feedback!

Finding time is always hard, but I'll have a look at all your suggestions.

Cheers,
        Romain

On Apr 25, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I just dug up MacVim to double-check...
>
> I also always found not adding a space after completion to flow better than
> having to delete the space at the end of the word, even if it may require a
> few extra key strokes over the course of a line; because I don't have to do
> a mental double hop to 'correct the correction' and my finger is right on
> the spacebar anyway.
>
> Otherwise, I agree it works awesomely well :)
>
> Sean

Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es