making scroll smooth

Siemen Baader
Hi All,

I'm used to and like the smooth scrolling of modern browsers and OS'es and miss it in Pharo. It as discrete scroll deltas; when I scroll it moves the window content by several pixels or not at all if the movement is below a certain threshold. How can I enable smooth scroll / set that threshold to 1px? And how could I learn if I did not ask on the list?

thanks,
Siemen

Re: making scroll smooth

philippeback
Try this:

WorldState MinCycleLapse: 16.

Should make things better.

Phil

Siemen

Re: making scroll smooth

Siemen Baader
There must be a place that defines that scroll should happen by a line height, rather than continuously... Does anyone know where to look?

-- Siemen

Re: making scroll smooth

Guillermo Polito
Check the FastTable package... I only know the entry point, others will give you better guidance though ^^.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Siemen Baader <[hidden email]> wrote:
There must be a place that defines that scroll should happen by a line height, rather than continuously... Does anyone know where to look?

-- Siemen

Re: making scroll smooth

Henrik-Nergaard

Hi Siemen,

This is morph/widget specific so it would depend on what widget you want to change (see implementors of #mouseWheel: ).

Best regards,

Henrik

Re: making scroll smooth

Thierry Goubier
Hi Siemen,

there is such a place, but it is not as easy as it seems. First, the widget has to accept per-pixel position of the top of the view, which is often something you want to avoid because it is fairly complex. Then you need to ensure that the scrolling can be done per pixel; whereas it is often done with a stepping in the scrollbar, because the ability to scroll by one line is essential. And last, you need to play with transformations, because the scrollbar is only giving a number between 0.0 and 1.0, not a line number nor a pixel position.

And more than last: per pixel scrolling is slow, so you need to look into having variable speed scrolling, with an ease-in, ease-out behavior to have proper feedback.

Regards,

Thierry