classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

making scroll smooth

Siemen Baader
Hi All,

I'm used to and like the smooth scrolling of modern browsers and OS'es and miss it in Pharo. It as discrete scroll deltas; when I scroll it moves the window content by several pixels or not at all if the movement is below a certain threshold. How can I enable smooth scroll / set that threshold to 1px? And how could I learn if I did not ask on the list? 

thanks,
Siemen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: making scroll smooth

philippeback
Try this:

WorldState MinCycleLapse: 16.

Should make things better.

Phil

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Siemen Baader <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm used to and like the smooth scrolling of modern browsers and OS'es and miss it in Pharo. It as discrete scroll deltas; when I scroll it moves the window content by several pixels or not at all if the movement is below a certain threshold. How can I enable smooth scroll / set that threshold to 1px? And how could I learn if I did not ask on the list? 

thanks,
Siemen

Reply | Threaded
|

Siemen Baader
Thanks - I did it and it seems (also from the docs) to affect the framerate, not the discrete scroll-behaviour. Nautilus panels scroll by ca. one line height, I want them to scroll continously, by one pixel only at a time..

-- Siemen

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 6:16 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try this:

WorldState MinCycleLapse: 16.

Should make things better.

Phil

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Siemen Baader <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

thanks,
Siemen

Reply | Threaded
|

Siemen Baader
There must be a place that defines that scroll should happen by a line height, rather than continuously... Does anyone know where to look?

-- Siemen

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Check the FastTable package... I only know the entry point, others will give you better guidance though ^^. 

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Siemen Baader <[hidden email]> wrote:
There must be a place that defines that scroll should happen by a line height, rather than continuously... Does anyone know where to look?

-- Siemen

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik-Nergaard
In reply to this post by Siemen Baader

Hi Siemen,

This is morph/widget specific so it would depend on what widget you want to change (see implementors of #mouseWheel: ).

Best regards,

Henrik

Fra: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] På vegne av Siemen Baader
Sendt: 13 January 2017 11:41
Til: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Emne: Re: [Pharo-users] making scroll smooth

-- Siemen

Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier
In reply to this post by Siemen Baader
Hi Siemen,

there is such a place, but it is not as easy as it seems. First, the widget has to accept per-pixel position of the top of the view, which is often something you want to avoid because it is fairly complex. Then you need to ensure that the scrolling can be done per pixel; whereas it is often done with a stepping in the scrollbar, because the ability to scroll by one line is essential. And last, you need to play with transformations, because the scrollbar is only giving a number between 0.0 and 1.0, not a line number nor a pixel position.

And more than last: per pixel scrolling is slow, so you need to look into having variable speed scrolling, with an ease-in, ease-out behavior to have proper feedback.

Regards,

Thierry

2017-01-13 11:41 GMT+01:00 Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:

-- Siemen