markdown to latext and html

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

To support the publication in pdf and html directly, plus let people not to bother about latex,
I would really to experiment the following for the next chapters of books.
I do not know well markdown but I would like to know if the following makes sense.

        I would like to see if we can use markdown (plus some extensions for in text annotation, figure definition)
        as pivot language and to be able to generate latex and html from it.

From a simple analysis of current chapter here are the needs:

structure
        title (with ref)
        section (with ref)
        subsection
        paragraph
        itemize/enumerate
        code snippet (with ref)
        figure with caption and ref

inside a text area
        link
        code
        comment for editor
        citation
        reference

I probably miss some of them but this is the core and we can reduce the number from the latex stand point.
What do you think? Does markdown support the item above.
Is the petitMarkdown parser working? Because I would like to write a visitor that generates the latex we use for the book.

I would like to use Zinc documentation as a test.

Re: markdown to latext and html

Tudor Girba-2
The Pier Book offers this pretty much out of the box.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: markdown to latext and html

Camillo Bruni-3
markdown / pandoc work pretty well for that :)

http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

I use it for all non-paper text. Plus you can simply output a .tex file and put it
into a real latex document if needed.

On 2012-07-25, at 22:04, Tudor Girba wrote:

> The Pier Book offers this pretty much out of the box.
>
> Doru
>

> On 25 Jul 2012, at 11:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> To support the publication in pdf and html directly, plus let people not to bother about latex,
>> I would really to experiment the following for the next chapters of books.
>> I do not know well markdown but I would like to know if the following makes sense.
>>
>> I would like to see if we can use markdown (plus some extensions for in text annotation, figure definition)
>> as pivot language and to be able to generate latex and html from it.
>>
>> From a simple analysis of current chapter here are the needs:
>>
>> structure
>> title (with ref)
>> section (with ref)
>> subsection
>> paragraph
>> itemize/enumerate
>> code snippet (with ref)
>> figure with caption and ref
>>
>> inside a text area
>> link
>> code
>> comment for editor
>> citation
>> reference
>>
>> I probably miss some of them but this is the core and we can reduce the number from the latex stand point.
>> What do you think? Does markdown support the item above.
>> Is the petitMarkdown parser working? Because I would like to write a visitor that generates the latex we use for the book.
>>
>> I would like to use Zinc documentation as a test.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: markdown to latext and html

> The Pier Book offers this pretty much out of the box.

I know, I wrote the seaside book with it and I would like to stick with svn and my default latex tools.
For example sven wants to have a copy of his text on his server and I go much slower on
a pier book when I cannot work in the train or not connected.

Re: markdown to latext and html

Tudor Girba-2
I meant that you can use the Pier engine, not the web editor. It's a
really nice model and it would be great to have it used more deeply
for documentation.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: markdown to latext and html

Stéphane Ducasse

> I meant that you can use the Pier engine, not the web editor. It's a
> really nice model and it would be great to have it used more deeply
> for documentation.

My problem is that pier is too complex for my mind.
Now I would just like to have a simple markdown to latex

Stef

> Doru
>

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> The Pier Book offers this pretty much out of the box.
>>
>> I know, I wrote the seaside book with it and I would like to stick with svn and my default latex tools.
>> For example sven wants to have a copy of his text on his server and I go much slower on
>> a pier book when I cannot work in the train or not connected.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: markdown to latext and html

Damien Cassou
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I meant that you can use the Pier engine, not the web editor. It's a
> really nice model and it would be great to have it used more deeply
> for documentation.

do I get your opinion correctly if I summarize it as

writing a program that takes a pier file as input and produces a latex
file as output, and implementing this program based on Pier engine

?

It makes sense and I already did something like this for textlint for Emacs

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: markdown to latext and html

Damien Cassou
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My problem is that pier is too complex for my mind.
> Now I would just like to have a simple markdown to latex

For the user the question is only about the syntax. Do you prefer
markdown or pier syntax?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: markdown to latext and html

Tudor Girba-2
Precisely. And ideally, also support a pier syntax extension to point
to source code, or other interesting smalltalk objects.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: markdown to latext and html

Stéphane Ducasse
ah like that.
Why not.
I would just get a document so that I can play after with the latex conversion.

Stef

> Precisely. And ideally, also support a pier syntax extension to point
> to source code, or other interesting smalltalk objects.
>
> Doru
>

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I meant that you can use the Pier engine, not the web editor. It's a
>>> really nice model and it would be great to have it used more deeply
>>> for documentation.
>>
>> do I get your opinion correctly if I summarize it as
>>
>> writing a program that takes a pier file as input and produces a latex
>> file as output, and implementing this program based on Pier engine
>>
>> ?
>>
>> It makes sense and I already did something like this for textlint for Emacs
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: markdown to latext and html

Douglas Brebner
On 26/07/2012 09:58, Camillo Bruni wrote:
> markdown / pandoc work pretty well for that :)
>
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/
>
> I use it for all non-paper text. Plus you can simply output a .tex file and put it
> into a real latex document if needed.

It also outputs ePub which is handy.

BTW, as a thought for the future, since ePub3 will support javascript it
may be possible to embed Amber smalltalk in a standard ebook. Which
could be very useful for making truly live documentation.

Re: markdown to latext and html

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes but I want to generate what I want from the document tree.
So may be using the pier syntax is better since we should have the tree doc and all the infrastructure.
I could even write a markdown outputter.
We could use the pier syntax for the internal doc and as a pharo pivot documentation language.
Damien we should check that because everything is there since we used it for the seaside book.

Stef