maybe a stupid question :)

Torsten Bergmann
>I mean "pharo" is "pharo core"

Is Linux only the Kernel? No.
You have a Linux version (distro) and the kernel version.

>and "pharo dev" is just pharo+packages loaded

Pharo-dev is what is distributed by default and typically
called "Pharo". Similar to the platform and loaded packages
in Eclipse or the linux kernel with loaded packages to form
a Linux system.

Bye
T.

Re: maybe a stupid question :)

Igor Stasenko
On 14 May 2010 21:36, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>I mean "pharo" is "pharo core"
>
> Is Linux only the Kernel? No.
> You have a Linux version (distro) and the kernel version.
>
>>and "pharo dev" is just pharo+packages loaded
>
> Pharo-dev is what is distributed by default and typically
> called "Pharo". Similar to the platform and loaded packages
> in Eclipse or the linux kernel with loaded packages to form
> a Linux system.

My 2c.

I think that the difference here is that Pharo-Core maintained by
Pharo team and under their direct
responsibility, while Pharo-dev includes various packages, which is
maintained separately.

Pharo team, of course having a strong influence on Pharo-dev shape,
but main focus is core.

> Bye
> T.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: maybe a stupid question :)

Tudor Girba
Hi,

This was decided a long time ago:
- PharoCore is PharoCore
- PharoDev is Pharo (and from now on, perhaps it would be great to not
talk about PharoDev anymore)

So, Pharo is PharoDev. In fact, only for very few people will
PharoCore be interesting. For most, Pharo(Dev) it is the interesting
part.

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 May 2010, at 20:48, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 14 May 2010 21:36, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I mean "pharo" is "pharo core"
>>
>> Is Linux only the Kernel? No.
>> You have a Linux version (distro) and the kernel version.
>>
>>> and "pharo dev" is just pharo+packages loaded
>>
>> Pharo-dev is what is distributed by default and typically
>> called "Pharo". Similar to the platform and loaded packages
>> in Eclipse or the linux kernel with loaded packages to form
>> a Linux system.
>>

> My 2c.
>
> I think that the difference here is that Pharo-Core maintained by
> Pharo team and under their direct
> responsibility, while Pharo-dev includes various packages, which is
> maintained separately.
>
> Pharo team, of course having a strong influence on Pharo-dev shape,
> but main focus is core.
>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

>> --
>> GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
>> Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: maybe a stupid question :)

Michael Roberts-2
way back then there was a thread about not calling Pharo what we
should not call it.... but we have as a group consistently failed to
do this. i would suggest that if people can't drop using *it*, then we
have to give up.  it is very difficult doing such brand management in
an online group. we should be aware that Pharo is a specific brand we
are trying to maintain.  we can't control what comes out of folks
keyboards....

thanks
Mike

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This was decided a long time ago:
> - PharoCore is PharoCore
> - PharoDev is Pharo (and from now on, perhaps it would be great to not talk
> about PharoDev anymore)
>
> So, Pharo is PharoDev. In fact, only for very few people will PharoCore be
> interesting. For most, Pharo(Dev) it is the interesting part.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

>>> Is Linux only the Kernel? No.
>>> You have a Linux version (distro) and the kernel version.

>>> Pharo-dev is what is distributed by default and typically
>>> called "Pharo". Similar to the platform and loaded packages
>>> in Eclipse or the linux kernel with loaded packages to form
>>> a Linux system.
>>>

>> My 2c.
>>
>> I think that the difference here is that Pharo-Core maintained by
>> Pharo team and under their direct
>> responsibility, while Pharo-dev includes various packages, which is
>> maintained separately.
>>
>> Pharo team, of course having a strong influence on Pharo-dev shape,
>> but main focus is core.
>>
>>> Bye
>>> T.
>>>

>>> --
>>> GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
>>> Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: maybe a stupid question :)

Stéphane Ducasse
true

On May 17, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> way back then there was a thread about not calling Pharo what we
> should not call it.... but we have as a group consistently failed to
> do this. i would suggest that if people can't drop using *it*, then we
> have to give up.  it is very difficult doing such brand management in
> an online group. we should be aware that Pharo is a specific brand we
> are trying to maintain.  we can't control what comes out of folks
> keyboards....
>
> thanks
> Mike
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This was decided a long time ago:
>> - PharoCore is PharoCore
>> - PharoDev is Pharo (and from now on, perhaps it would be great to not talk
>> about PharoDev anymore)
>>
>> So, Pharo is PharoDev. In fact, only for very few people will PharoCore be
>> interesting. For most, Pharo(Dev) it is the interesting part.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> My 2c.
>>>
>>> I think that the difference here is that Pharo-Core maintained by
>>> Pharo team and under their direct
>>> responsibility, while Pharo-dev includes various packages, which is
>>> maintained separately.
>>>
>>> Pharo team, of course having a strong influence on Pharo-dev shape,
>>> but main focus is core.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: maybe a stupid question :)

Igor Stasenko
Looks like i missed that discussion..
As to me, its not really relevant what name you pick for it,
its important what and how much effort you will put in it :)