mcd confusion

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I see through a web browser that http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-ul.573.mcz exists but in an updated trunk image (Spur) with a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk it shows me only that Collections-ul.573(nice.572).mcd exists.  What gives?

For Spur I need to patch Collections-ul.573.mcz to Collections.spur-ul.573.mcz and the automated patch code assumes it can obtain the .mcz from trunk.
--
best,
Eliot

Re: mcd confusion

Tobias Pape
Hi,

On 17.07.2014, at 02:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your patch should work either way.  At the level where a repository retrieves Collections-ul.573 for you, it doesn't care whether its a .mcd or .mcz; the MCVersion object you get with its embedded Snapshot to patch, will have everything as if it were loaded from a mcz..

Are you sure?
I do not know in depth what Eliot is patching for Spur,
but I, too, would think that a full snapshot is due here.

Eliot, does it help to flush the MC cache and scrub the package-cache?

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: mcd confusion

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tobias,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 17.07.2014, at 02:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your patch should work either way.  At the level where a repository retrieves Collections-ul.573 for you, it doesn't care whether its a .mcd or .mcz; the MCVersion object you get with its embedded Snapshot to patch, will have everything as if it were loaded from a mcz..

Are you sure?]\

Chris is right.  Loading the version appears to construct the full package from the patch correctly.  magic ;-)

I do not know in depth what Eliot is patching for Spur,
but I, too, would think that a full snapshot is due here.

Eliot, does it help to flush the MC cache and scrub the package-cache?

Best
        -Tobias

--
best,
Eliot

Re: mcd confusion

Bert Freudenberg

On 17.07.2014, at 21:47, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 17.07.2014, at 02:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your patch should work either way.  At the level where a repository retrieves Collections-ul.573 for you, it doesn't care whether its a .mcd or .mcz; the MCVersion object you get with its embedded Snapshot to patch, will have everything as if it were loaded from a mcz..

Are you sure?]\

Chris is right.  Loading the version appears to construct the full package from the patch correctly.  magic ;-)

Yep. MCDiffyVersions should behave exactly the same as regular MCVersions. They're just stored in multiple files, not one.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: mcd confusion

Tobias Pape

On 18.07.2014, at 02:14, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17.07.2014, at 21:47, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobias,
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 17.07.2014, at 02:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Your patch should work either way.  At the level where a repository retrieves Collections-ul.573 for you, it doesn't care whether its a .mcd or .mcz; the MCVersion object you get with its embedded Snapshot to patch, will have everything as if it were loaded from a mcz..
>>
>> Are you sure?]\
>>
>> Chris is right.  Loading the version appears to construct the full package from the patch correctly.  magic ;-)
>

> Yep. MCDiffyVersions should behave exactly the same as regular MCVersions. They're just stored in multiple files, not one.
OK, thanks :)
I was concerned as I thought Eliot’s patching acted directly
on the snapshot.bin. Silly me.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 18.07.2014, at 02:14, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17.07.2014, at 21:47, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobias,
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 17.07.2014, at 02:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Your patch should work either way.  At the level where a repository retrieves Collections-ul.573 for you, it doesn't care whether its a .mcd or .mcz; the MCVersion object you get with its embedded Snapshot to patch, will have everything as if it were loaded from a mcz..
>>
>> Are you sure?]\
>>
>> Chris is right.  Loading the version appears to construct the full package from the patch correctly.  magic ;-)
>

> Yep. MCDiffyVersions should behave exactly the same as regular MCVersions. They're just stored in multiple files, not one.

OK, thanks :)
I was concerned as I thought Eliot’s patching acted directly
on the snapshot.bin. Silly me.

That would be hairy :-). Instead it is essentially a package commit.  A snapshot is created, modified and then committed.  So it gets its own distinct UUID, version number and time stamp.  And of course now it gets a branched package name.  So these packages can safely coexist with their originals on trunk.  The only bug right now is that new methods end up uncategorized and that causes a few tests to fail.  Frank's CI server may encourage me to fix this soon ;-).
--
best,
Eliot