mentor wanted

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hello,

I like Pharo a lot but I hit a wall very often.
With complex problems I do not see how to solve things in small steps.

Is there somewhere who is willing to mentor me in how I can overcome
that problem.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:32 AM Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I like Pharo a lot but I hit a wall very often.
With complex problems I do not see how to solve things in small steps.

I would be happy to help with the Smalltalk and problem analysis aspects. Unfortunately, I don't use Pharo much, so I cannot help with it.

Op 23-4-2020 om 20:52 schreef Richard Sargent:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:32 AM Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I like Pharo a lot but I hit a wall very often.
With complex problems I do not see how to solve things in small steps.

I would be happy to help with the Smalltalk and problem analysis aspects. Unfortunately, I don't use Pharo much, so I cannot help with it.

Is there somewhere who is willing to mentor me in how I can overcome
that problem.

Roelof

Pity,

but if you could help me to learn how to divide a complex problem in smaller steps , then I think I can make it work in Pharo.   My problem is more that then how to do it in Pharo.

Do you then use gemtalk a lot.
Pity that I cannot make exercism challenges on that.
And AdventOfCode do seem to difficult for a beginner.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I can help with those areas. I've been programming professionally and virtually exclusively in Smalltalk since 1991.

I've been using GemStone/S since 2009 and now work for the manufacturer. I've been working with VA Smalltalk and its predecessors since 1994 and with VisualWorks since 2009.

I hear you about using GemStone/S. For most of its life, the assumption was that you would use a client Smalltalk like VA Smalltalk or VisualWorks to do your development work. Although, recently we've been working on Jadeite (https://github.com/GemTalk/Jadeite) to provide a development environment independent of GBS (which is what we used to connect VA Smalltalk and VisualWorks to GemStone/S).

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Op 23-4-2020 om 21:09 schreef Richard Sargent:
[...]

Oke, I have heard of it  but because I could not find a course or book about gemstone and found a mooc about Pharo I choose that one.

But is there then much difference between Pharo and Gemstone or can I make a solution to a problem and use the same code for both.

For me programming is a hobby. In the Netherlands most companies use c#  and with 53 and no XP I do not think its wise to  think I find a job as developer.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:14 PM Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pharo is an excellent choice and the MOOC should help.

But is there then much difference between Pharo and Gemstone or can I make a solution to a problem and use the same code for both.

There are many differences. Most notably, GemStone doesn't have a GUI. However, there are many people using what's called "Develop in Pharo, deploy in GemStone" with Seaside.

For me programming is a hobby. In the Netherlands most companies use c#  and with 53 and no XP I do not think its wise to  think I find a job as developer.

It's a good hobby. I wouldn't plan on finding a job, if I were you, but you never know. Opportunities come along, especially if you are ready for one.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Op 23-4-2020 om 23:00 schreef Richard Sargent:
[...]

if you still wanted , it is fine with me that you mentor me.
But I think we need to  find a way to make it work and I do not know if posting on the pharo ml is a good way to make it work because then we pollute the ML and other people can interfer.

Do you have any ideas ?
For me its fine that you send emails to my personal email.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 2:42 PM Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Either way works for me, but I think discussing the issues on list will be beneficial. There are a lot of other people out there who will have ideas and different perspectives. And some of them might be able to answer your questions more quickly than I could get to them.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Op 23-4-2020 om 23:53 schreef Richard Sargent:
[...]

That is also true but I also think that the maintainers of the pharo track are not happy when solutions of their challenges could be find on a ML.

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

HilaireFernandes
Hi Roelof,

I remember about a Smalltalk book presenting the CRC concept precisely
used to cut complex problem in small chunks.

I can't find the reference right now but it is very likely among those
books available online (http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html).
May be a member of the list remember about it.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: mentor wanted

cedreek
Hi,

Maybe you meant this one ?

There is a chapter on CRC

I don’t think it is available online.

Cheers,
Cédrick

Le 24 avr. 2020 à 09:39, Hilaire <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Roelof,

I remember about a Smalltalk book presenting the CRC concept precisely used to cut complex problem in small chunks.

I can't find the reference right now but it is very likely among those books available online (http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html). May be a member of the list remember about it.

Hilaire

Le 23/04/2020 à 12:31, Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users a écrit :
With complex problems I do not see how to solve things in small steps.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: mentor wanted

HilaireFernandes
Find it.

It is a chapter of the book Squeak, Open Personal Computing and
Multimedia <http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/>

http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/GuzdialBookDrafts/DesignObjects-ch4.pdf

Op 24-4-2020 om 09:49 schreef Hilaire:

> Find it.
>
> It is a chapter of the book Squeak, Open Personal Computing and
> Multimedia <http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/>
>
> http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/GuzdialBookDrafts/DesignObjects-ch4.pdf
>

> Le 24/04/2020 à 09:39, Hilaire a écrit :
>> I remember about a Smalltalk book presenting the CRC concept
>> precisely used to cut complex problem in small chunks.

Hilaire and Cedric thanks, I will also study those.

Re: mentor wanted

Richard O'Keefe
Roelof, I don't think CRC cards or the GRASP patterns or anything like that
addresses your immediate needs.  Based on other questions of yours it
seems to me that your problem is not *organising* the responsibilities in an
OO program, but decomposing a problem into responsibilities in the first
place.  I think this is perhaps the most important part of programming, and
the hardest to learn, not least because very few of us are good at teaching
it.  We're not very good at teaching it in mathematics either.  I do not think
your issues are anything to do with Pharo, Smalltalk, OOP, or programming
as such.

One symptom of the general problem that I've noticed is that I see code as
a very fluid sort of thing where pieces can be moved around and recombined,
while many people think of code as something solid and rather brittle.

I was thinking of writing up a short description of what I was thinking for a
RosettaCode example anyway.  Would that help?

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 23:16, Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like Pharo a lot but I hit a wall very often.
> With complex problems I do not see how to solve things in small steps.
>
> Is there somewhere who is willing to mentor me in how I can overcome
> that problem.
>
> Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020, 22:25 Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Richard. I appreciate your offering this. I am not a teacher, so your help is truly appreciated!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like Pharo a lot but I hit a wall very often.
> With complex problems I do not see how to solve things in small steps.
>
> Is there somewhere who is willing to mentor me in how I can overcome
> that problem.
>
> Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Op 25-4-2020 om 08:30 schreef Richard Sargent:
[...]

Moment,  I have to look if  I understand you right.
I think you have some strong points but the last one I did not understand well.

Do I have to write  for example for a exercism challenge  a short description of that problem like people do with rosetta code challenges and example code ?

Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Richard O'Keefe
Roelof, *I* was offering to write something.

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 19:47, Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op 25-4-2020 om 08:30 schreef Richard Sargent:
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020, 22:25 Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Roelof, I don't think CRC cards or the GRASP patterns or anything like that
>> addresses your immediate needs.  Based on other questions of yours it
>> seems to me that your problem is not *organising* the responsibilities in an
>> OO program, but decomposing a problem into responsibilities in the first
>> place.  I think this is perhaps the most important part of programming, and
>> the hardest to learn, not least because very few of us are good at teaching
>> it.  We're not very good at teaching it in mathematics either.  I do not think
>> your issues are anything to do with Pharo, Smalltalk, OOP, or programming
>> as such.
>>
>> One symptom of the general problem that I've noticed is that I see code as
>> a very fluid sort of thing where pieces can be moved around and recombined,
>> while many people think of code as something solid and rather brittle.
>>
>> I was thinking of writing up a short description of what I was thinking for a
>> RosettaCode example anyway.  Would that help?
>

> Thank you, Richard. I appreciate your offering this. I am not a teacher, so your help is truly appreciated!
>

> Moment,  I have to look if  I understand you right.
> I think you have some strong points but the last one I did not understand well.
>
> Do I have to write  for example for a exercism challenge  a short description of that problem like people do with rosetta code challenges and example code ?
>
> Roelof

Re: mentor wanted

Op 26-4-2020 om 06:30 schreef Richard O'Keefe:

> Roelof, *I* was offering to write something.
>
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 19:47, Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Op 25-4-2020 om 08:30 schreef Richard Sargent:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020, 22:25 Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Roelof, I don't think CRC cards or the GRASP patterns or anything like that
>>> addresses your immediate needs.  Based on other questions of yours it
>>> seems to me that your problem is not *organising* the responsibilities in an
>>> OO program, but decomposing a problem into responsibilities in the first
>>> place.  I think this is perhaps the most important part of programming, and
>>> the hardest to learn, not least because very few of us are good at teaching
>>> it.  We're not very good at teaching it in mathematics either.  I do not think
>>> your issues are anything to do with Pharo, Smalltalk, OOP, or programming
>>> as such.
>>>
>>> One symptom of the general problem that I've noticed is that I see code as
>>> a very fluid sort of thing where pieces can be moved around and recombined,
>>> while many people think of code as something solid and rather brittle.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of writing up a short description of what I was thinking for a
>>> RosettaCode example anyway.  Would that help?
>>
>> Thank you, Richard. I appreciate your offering this. I am not a teacher, so your help is truly appreciated!
>>

>> Moment,  I have to look if  I understand you right.
>> I think you have some strong points but the last one I did not understand well.
>>
>> Do I have to write  for example for a exercism challenge  a short description of that problem like people do with rosetta code challenges and example code ?
>>
>> Roelof

oke, I also accept this offer also.
The more angles I learn to solve this , the more I can use that in later
challenges.

and if I understand everything right , the solution is very simple

linksTowards: anAddress do: aBlock
     "Simple flood algorithm: route via all outgoing links.
However, just loopback if the receiver node is the routing destination."

     address = anAddress
         ifTrue: [ aBlock evaluate: loopback ]
         ifFalse: [ outgoingLinks do: aBlock ]

and the flow is this :

send: aPacket
     "Send aPacket, leaving the responsibility of routing to the node."

     self
         linksTowards: aPacket destinationAddress
         do: [ :link | self send: aPacket via: link ]

so for linkTwowards the anAddress is  the `aPacket destinationAdress `
and the aBlock  is ` [:link | self send: aPacket via: link `

so if the address is the loopback one  it would be ` self send: aPacket
via: loopback `

and send is this :

send: aPacket via: aLink
     aLink emit: aPacket

so that would be  ` loopback emit : aPackage  `

and that would lead to :

emit: aPacket
     "Packets are not transmitted right away, but stored.
Transmission is explicitly triggered later, by sending #transmit:."

     packetsToTransmit add: aPacket

where packetsToTransmit is a OrderedCollection
where the packet is added

Waiting till the transmit method is called where the sending of a
package is simulated.

Roelof