metanool

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I finally got Metanool reasonably complete. This is a simple mechanism to help you manage annotations while you are performing the analysis. To get an idea about Metanool, you can read about it here:
http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Brue08b-Metanool.pdf

In the current implementation, Metanool is much simpler and it is embedded in the MooseFinder: you will find it in the pane with a pencil icon for each entity. Essentially,  what you can do with this is to add a new meta annotation (using the + button on the top right), and then annotate various entities with this annotation.

There are two modes to work with it:
- when you look at an entity, you directly work with that entity
- when you look at a group, you work with the entities in the group (so not with the group entity)

A short demo video is available here:
http://youtu.be/XxjpgJo14pQ

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

Re: metanool

Stéphane Ducasse
did you think about having a different icon when an entity has an annotation?
BWT are annotation save when models are saved?

Stef
On Jul 23, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally got Metanool reasonably complete. This is a simple mechanism to help you manage annotations while you are performing the analysis. To get an idea about Metanool, you can read about it here:
> http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Brue08b-Metanool.pdf
>
> In the current implementation, Metanool is much simpler and it is embedded in the MooseFinder: you will find it in the pane with a pencil icon for each entity. Essentially,  what you can do with this is to add a new meta annotation (using the + button on the top right), and then annotate various entities with this annotation.
>
> There are two modes to work with it:
> - when you look at an entity, you directly work with that entity
> - when you look at a group, you work with the entities in the group (so not with the group entity)
>
> A short demo video is available here:
> http://youtu.be/XxjpgJo14pQ
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

Re: metanool

nice video
we will produce some like that too.
So we should follow the template.
What I would add is to show the selection in the context of a systemcomplexity

On 23 Jul 2011, at 11:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> did you think about having a different icon when an entity has an annotation?

Sure, but this is at a different level. You would need a specialized browser for your specific use case.

> BWT are annotation save when models are saved?

The meta annotations are specialized Fame properties and are part of the meta-meta-model. The values are saved in the property dictionary of entities. So, when you export the model, you will save the values. That is quite cool :)

The only problem is that the meta-meta-model does not get persisted. At least at the moment I do not have a  solution for that. This means that when you will load the model in a fresh image, you will get the value in properties, but the meta annotations will not be around so you will not see this explicitly.

Cheers,
Doru

> Stef
> On Jul 23, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I finally got Metanool reasonably complete. This is a simple mechanism to help you manage annotations while you are performing the analysis. To get an idea about Metanool, you can read about it here:
>> http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Brue08b-Metanool.pdf
>>
>> In the current implementation, Metanool is much simpler and it is embedded in the MooseFinder: you will find it in the pane with a pencil icon for each entity. Essentially,  what you can do with this is to add a new meta annotation (using the + button on the top right), and then annotate various entities with this annotation.
>>
>> There are two modes to work with it:
>> - when you look at an entity, you directly work with that entity
>> - when you look at a group, you work with the entities in the group (so not with the group entity)
>>
>> A short demo video is available here:
>> http://youtu.be/XxjpgJo14pQ
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: metanool

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 23, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 23 Jul 2011, at 11:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> did you think about having a different icon when an entity has an annotation?
>
> Sure, but this is at a different level. You would need a specialized browser for your specific use case.
>
>> BWT are annotation save when models are saved?
>
> The meta annotations are specialized Fame properties and are part of the meta-meta-model. The values are saved in the property dictionary of entities. So, when you export the model, you will save the values. That is quite cool :)
>
> The only problem is that the meta-meta-model does not get persisted. At least at the moment I do not have a  solution for that. This means that when you will load the model in a fresh image, you will get the value in properties, but the meta annotations will not be around so you will not see this explicitly.

I see. I think that this is the same as saving a plugin based meta model without the FamixPlugin extension.
We should probably have a way to bind a meta model (may be a package) with a model.