minimalism (formerly case-statement-stuff)

minimalism (formerly case-statement-stuff)

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     If you can transfer compiled methods directly, then you can make
the entire compiler an optional module...

     As the Americans are fond of saying, "just sayin'". :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: minimalism (formerly case-statement-stuff)

Miguel Cobá
But the first image must have a compiler, only the derived (aggregated
by transfer) can avoid a compiler. Unless that every derived image uses
a central compiler enabled image to process its new source code and get
back the compiled version.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: minimalism (formerly case-statement-stuff)

ccrraaiigg

> But the first image must have a compiler, only the derived (aggregated
> by transfer) can avoid a compiler.

     Sure, any image can load the compiler when needed (without needing
the compiler to do that :), and unload it at will. The point is that it
need not be part of the kernel image.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume
+31  06 2757 7177
+ 1 415  287 3547

Re: minimalism (formerly case-statement-stuff)

Igor Stasenko
On 18 February 2011 17:42, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> But the first image must have a compiler, only the derived (aggregated
>> by transfer) can avoid a compiler.
>
>     Sure, any image can load the compiler when needed (without needing
> the compiler to do that :), and unload it at will. The point is that it
> need not be part of the kernel image.

For developers like me, loading the code is a bit less of value than
being able to create new code (through compiling of course).
:)

But of course for production systems, one may choose to not have
compiler, which is perfectly fine and even helps to close some
security gaps.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: minimalism (formerly case-statement-stuff)

ccrraaiigg

> For developers like me, loading the code is a bit less of value than
> being able to create new code (through compiling of course).
> :)
>
> But of course for production systems, one may choose to not have
> compiler, which is perfectly fine and even helps to close some
> security gaps.

     Of course. I'm referring to this inane argument y'all have been
having about whether to have case-statement support "in the image". The
entire compiler can be an optional module (with the case statement stuff
in yet another module separate from that), so the debate is moot.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume