minor errors in tests during socket timeouts

minor errors in tests during socket timeouts

Ben Coman
An Opensmalltalk-vm Travis build job
looks like it failed with a socket error, probably external network.
A bundle of failures look like this...

  SocketStreamTest

  7041f6_0fb1
   ✗ #testClassComment (10003ms)
  TestFailure: Test timed out
  Process>>pvtSignal:list:
  [] in DelayWaitTimeout>>wait
  <snip>

which is okay, but the following three with similar >10000ms timeout
did not produce "TestFailure: Test timed out "
but instead "MessageNotUnderstood" errors.

  StringSocketTestCase

  c43ad5_0fb1
   ✗ #testBasics (10001ms)
  MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
  StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown

  e360b0_0fb1
   ✗ #testBogusInput1 (10000ms)
  MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
  StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown

  e4f711_0fb1
   ✗ #testBogusInput2 (10002ms)
  MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
  StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown

I'm not currently running Squeak, so I'm just reporting was I see in the CI log
in case anyone was interested in touching-up such a corner case.
Is it preferable to report on Mantis? Or not important :)

cheers -ben

Re: minor errors in tests during socket timeouts

Levente Uzonyi
Thanks Ben. I don't know what image version the CI uses, but
Nebraska-ul.54 in the Trunk should fix the issue with
StringSocketTestCase.

Levente

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 02:22, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Ben. I don't know what image version the CI uses,

The log provides the following info...
  Squeak5.1
  latest update: #16551
  Current Change Set: Unnamed1
  Image format 6521 (32 bit)

but Nebraska-ul.54 in the Trunk should fix the issue with
StringSocketTestCase.

Good to know, thanks Levente. Would Squeak 5.2 cover Nebraska-ul.54 ?
It seems SQUEAK_VERSION could be updated here...

However SmalltalkCI README indicates it doesn't support 32-bit of latest images for Squeak or Pharo...
but is that info current? These files seem to indicate support...

@vm-dev...
I find the specification of the test image too implicit here...
For example, its hard to tell at a glance whether lowcode testing is enabled/disabled.
Could the test image be explicitly defined in travis.yml ? (I'll submit a concept PR for review)

cheers -ben

Levente

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018, Ben Coman wrote:

> An Opensmalltalk-vm Travis build job
>     https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/jobs/473535608
> looks like it failed with a socket error, probably external network.
> A bundle of failures look like this...
>
>   SocketStreamTest
>
>   7041f6_0fb1
>    ✗ #testClassComment (10003ms)
>   TestFailure: Test timed out
>   Process>>pvtSignal:list:
>   [] in DelayWaitTimeout>>wait
>   <snip>
>
> which is okay, but the following three with similar >10000ms timeout
> did not produce "TestFailure: Test timed out "
> but instead "MessageNotUnderstood" errors.
>

>   StringSocketTestCase
>
>   c43ad5_0fb1
>    ✗ #testBasics (10001ms)
>   MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
>   UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
>   StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown
>
>   e360b0_0fb1
>    ✗ #testBogusInput1 (10000ms)
>   MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
>   UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
>   StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown
>
>   e4f711_0fb1
>    ✗ #testBogusInput2 (10002ms)
>   MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
>   UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
>   StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown
>

> I'm not currently running Squeak, so I'm just reporting was I see in the CI log
> in case anyone was interested in touching-up such a corner case.
> Is it preferable to report on Mantis? Or not important :)
>
> cheers -ben

Re: minor errors in tests during socket timeouts

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Ben,

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 02:22, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Thanks Ben. I don't know what image version the CI uses,
>

> The log provides the following info...
>   Squeak5.1
>   latest update: #16551
>   Current Change Set: Unnamed1
>   Image format 6521 (32 bit)
>
>       but Nebraska-ul.54 in the Trunk should fix the issue with
>       StringSocketTestCase.
>

> Good to know, thanks Levente. Would Squeak 5.2 cover Nebraska-ul.54 ?
No, it's in the Trunk, so I presume Squeak(64)-trunk would contain the
fix. It's possible to backport the fix to 5.2, but I don't now if the CI
script updates the image before running the tests.

Levente