misleading info on home page

K Rhodes

http://amber-lang.net/ says

In a sharing mood? Contributions to Amber are very much welcome!

The Amber source code is hosted on Github. You can fork the main repository and send pull requests.
The contributions page points to topics that contributors might “adopt” and realize.
You can also submit issues on the bug tracker.

  1. the source code isn’t on github anymore
  2. the bug tracker has an issue in it but it isn’t an issue telling people to go use the bug tracker on the new source code site
  3. the contributions page (on github) says:

I hereby declare this page out of date. To find where to contribute, look into list of issues marked as “entry level”:

which is obviously misleading, since there aren’t any AND github isn’t the bug tracker.

On a related note that page notes the gitter.im which hasn’t been used since December.

As a result I’m posting here because it’s apparently the only bit of the instructions that are actually correct, and it’s not clear that adding a ticket about the web site to the 1200+ tickets on the lolg.it site is the appropriate place for web site issues.

-Kay

Re: misleading info on home page

Herby Vojčík
Website is in process on migration, so it is out of sync in the meantime.

K Rhodes wrote:

> http://amber-lang.net/ says
>
>     In a sharing mood? Contributions to Amber are very much welcome!
>
>     The Amber source code is hosted on Github. You can fork the main
>     repository and send pull requests.
>     The contributions page points to topics that contributors might
>     “adopt” and realize.
>     You can also submit issues on the bug tracker.
>
>  1. the source code isn’t on github anymore
>  2. the bug tracker has an issue in it but it isn’t an issue telling
>     people to go use the bug tracker on the new source code site
>  3. the contributions page (on github) says:
>
>     I hereby declare this page out of date. To find where to contribute,
>     look into list of issues marked as “entry level”:
>
> which is obviously misleading, since there aren’t any AND github isn’t
> the bug tracker.
>
> On a related note that page notes the gitter.im which hasn’t been used
> since December.
>
> As a result I’m posting here because it’s apparently the only bit of the
> instructions that are actually correct, and it’s not clear that adding a
> ticket about the web site to the 1200+ tickets on the lolg.it site is
> the appropriate place for web site issues.
>

> -Kay
>
> ​

Re: misleading info on home page

masukomi

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
Website is in process on migration, so it is out of sync in the meantime.

well... ok, but it's literally less than 5 minutes worth of work to just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated and/or wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary measure until the migration?

-Kay

Re: misleading info on home page

Herby Vojčík
PRs welcome at https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website. ;-) I have limited time and resources, as well as other contributors. You are correct in stating that the "presentation" part (website, documentation, examples) are those that are lacking the most. Unfortunately, no one seems to have enough time to do some gardening on that ground. I, for example, am doing mostly the code part (amber/amber repo).

Herby

masukomi wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Website is in process on migration, so it is out of sync in the
>     meantime.
>

> well... ok, but it's literally less than 5 minutes worth of work to
> just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated and/or
> wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary measure
> until the migration?
>
> -Kay

Re: misleading info on home page

Brendan Stromberger
I just have this personal experience to offer as a data-point:

I have spent a couple hours this morning trying to get started with Amber. Encountered a hiccup with amber init and was looking for filed issues or any docs, and now because of all the previously mentioned issues (out of date links to communities/chat groups that are inactive), I am left wondeirng whether this project is still under active development and whether it is worth any time investment. I guess I'll tinker around with Pharo?

Cheers

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 9:04:07 AM UTC-7, Herby wrote:
PRs welcome at <a href="https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Flolg.it%2Famber%2Famber-website\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHe7epJ7t1wOugDHZgkM5GFLWj-uQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Flolg.it%2Famber%2Famber-website\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHe7epJ7t1wOugDHZgkM5GFLWj-uQ&#39;;return true;">https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website. ;-) I have limited time and resources, as well as other contributors. You are correct in stating that the "presentation" part (website, documentation, examples) are those that are lacking the most. Unfortunately, no one seems to have enough time to do some gardening on that ground. I, for example, am doing mostly the code part (amber/amber repo).

Herby

masukomi wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Herby Vojčík <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ks0FCJU8CwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">he...@...
> <mailto:<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ks0FCJU8CwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">he...@...>> wrote:
>
>     Website is in process on migration, so it is out of sync in the
>     meantime.
>

> well... ok, but it's literally less than 5 minutes worth of work to
> just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated and/or
> wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary measure
> until the migration?
>
> -Kay

 from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ks0FCJU8CwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com

Re: misleading info on home page

Herby Vojčík
Afaik, the problem with amber init reported some month ago was solved. At least it works for me.

Did you do exactly what was in README (on lolg.it. github repo points there)?

Herby

Brendan Stromberger wrote:

> I just have this personal experience to offer as a data-point:
>
> I have spent a couple hours this morning trying to get started with
> Amber. Encountered a hiccup with amber init and was looking for filed
> issues or any docs, and now because of all the previously mentioned
> issues (out of date links to communities/chat groups that are
> inactive), I am left wondeirng whether this project is still under
> active development and whether it is worth any time investment. I
> guess I'll tinker around with Pharo?
>
> Cheers
>
> On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 9:04:07 AM UTC-7, Herby wrote:
>
>     PRs welcome at https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website
>     <https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website>. ;-) I have limited time and
>     resources, as well as other contributors. Y
ou are correct in

>     stating that the "presentation" part (website, documentation,
>     examples) are those that are lacking the most. Unfortunately, no
>     one seems to have enough time to do some gardening on that ground.
>     I, for example, am doing mostly the code part (amber/amber repo).
>
>     Herby
>
>     masukomi wrote:
>     >
>     > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
>     <javascript:>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Website is in process on migration, so it is out of sync in the
>     >     meantime.
>     >
>     >
>     > well... ok, but it's literally less than 5 minutes worth of work to
>     > just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated and/or
>     > wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary measure
>     > until the migration?
>     >
>     > -Kay
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

>     > Groups "amber-lang" group.
>     > To unsubscribe
>      from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>     > an email to [hidden email] <javascript:>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:>>.
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Re: misleading info on home page

Dave Mason-3
PharoJS http://pharojs.org is a possible alternative, but is under very heavy development to get it to something usable by not-us :-) which means that the documentation in particular is a bit shaky, though there are several at-least-partially-working examples. If you're interested, the best thing is to send me email and I'll add you to the Slack board: pharojs.slack.com where we tend to respond quickly to questions. (The Amber list comes to my personal email which I check only a few times per month.)

../Dave

../Dave

masukomi wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Website is in process on migration, so it is out of sync in the
>     meantime.
>

> well... ok, but it's literally less than 5 minutes worth of work to
> just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated and/or
> wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary measure
> until the migration?
>
> -Kay

Re: misleading info on home page

Brendan Stromberger
Yup, followed the directions to the letter and get
Running "amberc:all" (amberc) task
Warning: amber_dir needs to be a valid directory Use --force to continue.

What version of Node must I use? I'm currently on 6.2.1

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 3:22:08 PM UTC-7, Herby wrote:
Afaik, the problem with amber init reported some month ago was solved. At least it works for me.

Did you do exactly what was in README (on <a href="http://lolg.it" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Flolg.it\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE9_Upa4tYHLlVktfe1mXi7Q7OfCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Flolg.it\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE9_Upa4tYHLlVktfe1mXi7Q7OfCw&#39;;return true;">lolg.it. github repo points there)?

Herby

Brendan Stromberger wrote:

> [...]

>     > just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated and/or
>     > wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary measure
>     > until the migration?
>     >
>     > -Kay
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

>     > Groups "amber-lang" group.
>     > To unsubscribe
>      from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>     > an email to amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
>     <<a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Any >=0.12 should work.

Will check at morning.

What OS do you have?
What is output of `npm -g list`?
What subdirectories are present in `bower_components`?

Herby

Dňa 14. júna 2016 3:54:36 CEST používateľ Brendan Stromberger <[hidden email]> napísal:

> [...]
>> >     >     meantime.
>> >     >
>> >     >
>> >     > well... ok, but it's literally less than 5 minutes worth of
>work
>> >     > just update the links so that new users don't get frustrated
>> and/or
>> >     > wander off. Why not just update the links, as a temporary
>measure
>> >     > until the migration?
>> >     >
>> >     > -Kay
>> >     >
>> >     > --
>> >     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>Google
>>
>> >     > Groups "amber-lang" group.
>> >     > To unsubscribe
>> >      from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> >     > an email to [hidden email] <javascript:>

Ah, it looks like the issue was that the default directory for bower components is no longer ./bower_components but rather ./app/components (sigh) – I changed my .bowerrc to point at ./bower_components again and its all good.

Thanks!
Brendan

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:01:58 PM UTC-7, Herby wrote:
Any >=0.12 should work.

Will check at morning.

What OS do you have?
What is output of `npm -g list`?
What subdirectories are present in `bower_components`?

Herby

Dňa 14. júna 2016 3:54:36 CEST používateľ Brendan Stromberger <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="nyMeiYOkCAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">brendanst...@...> napísal:

Brendan Stromberger wrote:
> Ah, it looks like the issue was that the default directory for bower
> components is no longer ./bower_components but rather ./app/components
> (sigh) – I changed my .bowerrc to point at ./bower_components again and
> its all good.

This should definitely _not_ be an issue - anything under the project
tree goes fine (I never mention bower_components directly anywhere, at
least I try to). But it's fine that it's working for you.

It's likely the strange heisenbug that probably relates to some race
condition - sometimes it happens to me that this fails as well. But then
I run `grunt` from command line (amber init does the same), and it just
works.

Herby

P.S.: If you find out there I actually do use bower_component directly
somewhere, let me know.

P.P.S.: Maybe bower_components _is_ actually mentioned in generated
Gruntfile.js. If this is the case, you can switch to your custom
settings in .bowerrc; but then update project's Gruntfile to be
compliant. Project's Gruntfile.js is there to change at will bu the
project maintainer, but generated one may actually use the string
"bower_components" as this is the default. You are free to change it. In
general, Amber is designed to impose as little as possible.