monticello repository creation

12

monticello repository creation

timrowledge
I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.

A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide on what to do would be welcomed.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Re: monticello repository creation

Chris Cunnington-4
Monticello is a very versatile tool. It’s designed to connect to almost anything. The simplest thing for security is to save to disk, that is, create a MC on your disk.
The next simplest thing is to save to your Dropbox and make somebody else accessible to your Dropbox.
The next thing is to create your own server. There are two ways to do that: Squeak; and, non-Squeak (i.e. nginx or Apache). If you want a Squeak image to be your server, then you can use Sven Van Caekenberghe’s WebClient-Monticello [1]. You can see how Colin has done it with nginx server here [2].

Chris

Goodbye, Golden State Warriors! 2019 NBA Champions Toronto Raptors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOaFazJZQuk

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach
[2] http://source.wiresong.ca/

> On Jun 16, 2019, at 7:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.
>
> A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide on what to do would be welcomed.
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Re: monticello repository creation

Chris Cunnington-4
As usual, I forgot the obvious. Chris Muller has way of deploying Squeaksource in a simplified and convenient way. I think it may be on SqueakMap.

Chris

> On Jun 16, 2019, at 7:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.
>
> A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide on what to do would be welcomed.
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Re: monticello repository creation

timrowledge
Thanks Chris.
I knew about the very basics - directory and http - but never had a need to know any more. Being able to just use apache or similar might be the thing to do for this purpose; one of the collaborators is unable to make satisfactory file-system connections due to a dodgy satellite internet. A proper Squeak server would be even nicer so I'll have to take a look at that.

> On 2019-06-17, at 5:38 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As usual, I forgot the obvious. Chris Muller has way of deploying Squeaksource in a simplified and convenient way. I think it may be on SqueakMap.
>
> Chris
>
>> On Jun 16, 2019, at 7:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.
>>
>> A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide on what to do would be welcomed.
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

tim
Strange OpCodes: LTT: Lose Timing Track

Re: monticello repository creation

timrowledge
Hmph. Now I'm more confused.

The 'ADayAtTheBeach' repository is full of lots of stuff, including what appears to be the same WebClient/Server stuff included in Squeak. The WebClient-Monticello stuff appears to be a small extension to WebServer - but it's all about nine years old...
The SqueakMap entry for SqueakSource is stuck back at version 117 from 2004 and attempting to load via that route fails. SqueakSource itself appears to have a 2015 dated version 1084. I can't see any starting point for loading it. There's a *lot* of code there.

There's also SqueakSource2 (seemingly very obsolete), SqueakSource3 (?) and several SqueakMap related SM entries.
Wiresong.ca appears very dead.

I'll see if the WebClient-Monticello stuff seems to work... but it would be great to have a cleanout of all the cruft and get doc up to date.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- MONAGE A TROIS - I am three years old

Re: monticello repository creation

Chris Cunnington-4
OK, I recalled incorrectly the best way to get Chris Muller’s SqueakSource. He called it Personal SqueakSource. He created instructions on how to install it on the swiki.[1] He intended it to be for desktop use, but once it’s running, it is easy deployable as a full server in a server box, because that’s what it’s meant for.
The release of WebClient-Monticello had announcement describing it. [2] I made it work in localhost at the time - June, 2010 - and I recall having to make a small change. I documented my experiences with it. [3]
SqueakSource is a proven project, but it’s pretty large to my thinking. In contrast WebClient-Monticello is small and hackable. Granted, it’s a proof-of-concept project, but I made it work at the time. I liked it because it was so small, spare, and comprehensible.

HTH,
Chris

[1] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6365
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151327.html
[3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151337.html

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 7:20 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmph. Now I'm more confused.
>
> The 'ADayAtTheBeach' repository is full of lots of stuff, including what appears to be the same WebClient/Server stuff included in Squeak. The WebClient-Monticello stuff appears to be a small extension to WebServer - but it's all about nine years old...
> The SqueakMap entry for SqueakSource is stuck back at version 117 from 2004 and attempting to load via that route fails. SqueakSource itself appears to have a 2015 dated version 1084. I can't see any starting point for loading it. There's a *lot* of code there.
>
> There's also SqueakSource2 (seemingly very obsolete), SqueakSource3 (?) and several SqueakMap related SM entries.
> Wiresong.ca appears very dead.
>
> I'll see if the WebClient-Monticello stuff seems to work... but it would be great to have a cleanout of all the cruft and get doc up to date.
>
> tim
> Fractured Idiom:- MONAGE A TROIS - I am three years old

Re: monticello repository creation

Chris Cunnington-4
I just made WebClient-Monticello in Squeak5.2 work with this:

(MCWebServer reset default)
        directory: (FileDirectory  on: '/Users/ooplu/Desktop/Squeak5.2-18231-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources');
        addUser: 'john' withPassword: 'secret';
        listenOn: 8800.

Throw an mcz into Resources (i.e. 45Deprecated-chc.27.mcz), go to localhost:8800 and it’ll appear in the webpage. I still love the economy of this little app. SqueakSource is way too big.

Chris

Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEKZJp-x-Dc

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 7:54 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, I recalled incorrectly the best way to get Chris Muller’s SqueakSource. He called it Personal SqueakSource. He created instructions on how to install it on the swiki.[1] He intended it to be for desktop use, but once it’s running, it is easy deployable as a full server in a server box, because that’s what it’s meant for.
> The release of WebClient-Monticello had announcement describing it. [2] I made it work in localhost at the time - June, 2010 - and I recall having to make a small change. I documented my experiences with it. [3]
> SqueakSource is a proven project, but it’s pretty large to my thinking. In contrast WebClient-Monticello is small and hackable. Granted, it’s a proof-of-concept project, but I made it work at the time. I liked it because it was so small, spare, and comprehensible.
>
> HTH,
> Chris
>
> [1] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6365
> [2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151327.html
> [3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151337.html
>
>> On Jun 17, 2019, at 7:20 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmph. Now I'm more confused.
>>
>> The 'ADayAtTheBeach' repository is full of lots of stuff, including what appears to be the same WebClient/Server stuff included in Squeak. The WebClient-Monticello stuff appears to be a small extension to WebServer - but it's all about nine years old...
>> The SqueakMap entry for SqueakSource is stuck back at version 117 from 2004 and attempting to load via that route fails. SqueakSource itself appears to have a 2015 dated version 1084. I can't see any starting point for loading it. There's a *lot* of code there.
>>
>> There's also SqueakSource2 (seemingly very obsolete), SqueakSource3 (?) and several SqueakMap related SM entries.
>> Wiresong.ca appears very dead.
>>
>> I'll see if the WebClient-Monticello stuff seems to work... but it would be great to have a cleanout of all the cruft and get doc up to date.
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Fractured Idiom:- MONAGE A TROIS - I am three years old

Re: monticello repository creation

timrowledge

> On 2019-06-17, at 5:06 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just made WebClient-Monticello in Squeak5.2 work with this:

Hah! I had just grabbed a fresh cup of tea and sat down to write almost exactly the same message ;-)

The only hassle I had was actually using another image, adding an http repository entry and trying to open it. The first time or two it (MC browser that is) failed with a complaint about 'cannot access' and seemed to not be taking any notice of the port number. Very odd - especially in that it worked fine later. Saving a package worked fine too.

It's certainly nice and simple. Good stuff, Sven.

tim
Document the code?  Why do you think they call it "code?"

On Jun 17, 2019, at 8:49 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hah! I had just grabbed a fresh cup of tea and sat down to write almost exactly the same message ;-)

That’s a fun result all around.

It's certainly nice and simple. Good stuff, Sven.

+1

Chris

Re: monticello repository creation

timrowledge
If someone that really feels they understand it could update a few swiki pages it would help future adventurers.

Specifically,
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3857
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5766
http://source.squeak.org/@s4TyXEKBBGBuV7SB/dPG_FFbf (the purportedly 'official' instructions, rather messy)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6365 (Chris, I guess; looks like someone mis-edited the page a bit and it needs some tidying?)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5878 (A quite large job to improve; lots of content could definitely do with merging with or better connecting to the Basic Squeak Development Tools page)

tim
Strange OpCodes: COMB: Straighten Wires

Re: monticello repository creation

Chris Muller-3
Personal SqueakSource

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 6:08 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.
>
> A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide on what to do would be welcomed.
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Re: monticello repository creation

Tobias Pape

> On 18.06.2019, at 01:20, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmph. Now I'm more confused.
>
> The 'ADayAtTheBeach' repository is full of lots of stuff, including what appears to be the same WebClient/Server stuff included in Squeak. The WebClient-Monticello stuff appears to be a small extension to WebServer - but it's all about nine years old...
> The SqueakMap entry for SqueakSource is stuck back at version 117 from 2004 and attempting to load via that route fails. SqueakSource itself appears to have a 2015 dated version 1084. I can't see any starting point for loading it. There's a *lot* of code there.
>
> There's also SqueakSource2 (seemingly very obsolete), SqueakSource3 (?)

Metacello
        configuration: 'SqueakSource3';
        load: #('All').

:D

> and several SqueakMap related SM entries.
> Wiresong.ca appears very dead.
>
> I'll see if the WebClient-Monticello stuff seems to work... but it would be great to have a cleanout of all the cruft and get doc up to date.
>
> tim

Re: monticello repository creation

Tim Johnson-2

On Jun 16, 2019, at 4:07 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private
> repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.
>
> A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old
> pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide
> on what to do would be welcomed.

I've had good luck and fine results over many years by just using a
WebDAV directory on one of my various Dreamhost domains. It's
practically one-click-and-go.  Perhaps I'm missing some features,
though — but I've never noticed...?

Tim J

bpi

Re: monticello repository creation

bpi
I can confirm that the Dropbox route worked very well when I collaborated on a project with another developer once.

- Bernhard

> Am 17.06.2019 um 01:37 schrieb Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]>:
>
> Monticello is a very versatile tool. It’s designed to connect to almost anything. The simplest thing for security is to save to disk, that is, create a MC on your disk.
> The next simplest thing is to save to your Dropbox and make somebody else accessible to your Dropbox.
> The next thing is to create your own server. There are two ways to do that: Squeak; and, non-Squeak (i.e. nginx or Apache). If you want a Squeak image to be your server, then you can use Sven Van Caekenberghe’s WebClient-Monticello [1]. You can see how Colin has done it with nginx server here [2].
>
> Chris
>
> Goodbye, Golden State Warriors! 2019 NBA Champions Toronto Raptors!
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOaFazJZQuk
>
> [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach
> [2] http://source.wiresong.ca/
>

>> On Jun 16, 2019, at 7:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been using Mc for years but never had a need for a private repository before. Now I do; one accessible via http(s) really.
>>
>> A quick look on the swiki showed me some incomplete and very old pages but nothing that leaped out as relevant. Pointers to a guide on what to do would be welcomed.
>>
>> tim

Re: monticello repository creation

timrowledge

> On 2019-06-21, at 2:34 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can confirm that the Dropbox route worked very well when I collaborated on a project with another developer

Good to know, if one is willing to use DropBox. I'm not, personally.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam coniurati te in foro interficiant! = May conspirators assassinate you in the mall!

Re: monticello repository creation

Tobias Pape

> On 21.06.2019, at 18:32, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 2019-06-21, at 2:34 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can confirm that the Dropbox route worked very well when I collaborated on a project with another developer
>
> Good to know, if one is willing to use DropBox. I'm not, personally.

Personal clouds such as nextcloud do work just as well.
Reminds me that I have to fix the one of the board -.-
-t

> tim

Re: monticello repository creation

timrowledge
So I was able to make an adequate seeming MC server for myself using Sven's WebClient-Monticello package; it's amazing how little needed to be added, a good demonstration of how useful a decent WebServer class can be.

A question for the crowd - has anyone been using MC behind https connections? Without having had time to do much digging on this I'm guessing that using an Apache proxy to provide external https access and passing it to the MC server image ought to be fine. Any actual experiences you can share?

tim
"Bother," said Pooh, reading his bank statement from Barings.

On Jun 28, 2019, at 1:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I was able to make an adequate seeming MC server for myself using Sven's WebClient-Monticello package; it's amazing how little needed to be added, a good demonstration of how useful a decent WebServer class can be.

I’m really pleased you got this working to your satisfaction. I agree that it’s impressive how little has to be added to WebServer to make something useful.

Chris

Am 28. Juni 2019 19:07:36 MESZ schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

>So I was able to make an adequate seeming MC server for myself using
>Sven's WebClient-Monticello package; it's amazing how little needed to
>be added, a good demonstration of how useful a decent WebServer class
>can be.
>
>A question for the crowd - has anyone been using MC behind https
>connections? Without having had time to do much digging on this I'm
>guessing that using an Apache proxy to provide external https access
>and passing it to the MC server image ought to be fine. Any actual
>experiences you can share?
>
>tim
>--
>tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>"Bother," said Pooh, reading his bank statement from Barings.

swa squeaksource works behind https.
actually quite well, better than expected.

but do yourself a favor and use nginx or lighttpd or haproxy to handle the https.

-t
Sent from a mobile device

Re: monticello repository creation

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019, tim Rowledge wrote:

> So I was able to make an adequate seeming MC server for myself using Sven's WebClient-Monticello package; it's amazing how little needed to be added, a good demonstration of how useful a decent WebServer class can be.
>
> A question for the crowd - has anyone been using MC behind https connections? Without having had time to do much digging on this I'm guessing that using an Apache proxy to provide external https access and passing it to the MC server image ought to be fine. Any actual experiences you can share?

source.squeak.org has https enabled a while ago. I've been using it for a
few months for uploading/accessing the repository from the MC
browser without any issues.
So, I think we should change the default repositories in the Trunk image,
provided the SSL plugin works on all platforms.
However, there's a catch when you try to change the update url preference
in the image, because the updater stores the version number for the url,
and by default the version number for the new url will be 1.

Levente