moose & the dark theme

12

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
I do not understand the question.

Doru

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I took a look at the code.
>
> I think the transformColor: is exactly the relevant direction. But, I think there are still two issues to be addressed:
>
> 1. The logic does not yet work for everything. For example, lightRed is can be distinguished on white, but is barely so in the dark theme.
>
> 2. The more problematic issue is the mismatch between the script and the result.
>
> Take a look at this example:
> view := RTMondrian new.
> view shape circle color: Color black.
> view nodes: (1 to: 42).
> view layout grid.
> view
>
> On a white theme, it looks like:
>
> <Playground-white.png>
>
> On the dark theme, it would be:
>
> <Playground-dark.png>
>
> The problem is that in order to get the desired light gray result, I have to write “Color black” and this does not work.
>
> White is only a shade of black :-)
>

> How about introducing the notion of a ThemedColor?
>
> Something like
> ThemedColor new
> for: RTDarkTheme use: Color lightGray;
> for: RTWhiteTheme use: Color black
>
> And some derivates:
>
> ThemedColor new
> forDark: Color lightGray;
> forWhite: Color black
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Apr 24, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's done. Thank you very much, Alex!
>> We only need to tune some colors for the best result in both themes.
>>
>> -- Pavel

>> Hi,
>>
>> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
>>
>> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
>> - they were conceived on a white canvas
>> - the colors are hardcoded
>>
>> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> “The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: moose & the dark theme

abergel
Which question? Pavel did not ask a question :-)

Alexandre

> [...]
>>>
>>> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> “The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
Never mind. I read the wrong thing :)

Doru

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Which question? Pavel did not ask a question :-)
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I do not understand the question.
>>
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I took a look at the code.
>>>
>>> I think the transformColor: is exactly the relevant direction. But, I think there are still two issues to be addressed:
>>>
>>> 1. The logic does not yet work for everything. For example, lightRed is can be distinguished on white, but is barely so in the dark theme.
>>>
>>> 2. The more problematic issue is the mismatch between the script and the result.
>>>
>>> Take a look at this example:
>>> view := RTMondrian new.
>>> view shape circle color: Color black.
>>> view nodes: (1 to: 42).
>>> view layout grid.
>>> view
>>>
>>> On a white theme, it looks like:
>>>
>>> <Playground-white.png>
>>>
>>> On the dark theme, it would be:
>>>
>>> <Playground-dark.png>
>>>
>>> The problem is that in order to get the desired light gray result, I have to write “Color black” and this does not work.
>>>
>>> White is only a shade of black :-)
>>>

>>> How about introducing the notion of a ThemedColor?
>>>
>>> Something like
>>> ThemedColor new
>>> for: RTDarkTheme use: Color lightGray;
>>> for: RTWhiteTheme use: Color black
>>>
>>> And some derivates:
>>>
>>> ThemedColor new
>>> forDark: Color lightGray;
>>> forWhite: Color black
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> “The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: moose & the dark theme

abergel
So, is something like:
-=-=-=-=-=-=
view := RTMondrian new.
view shape circle color4.
view nodes: (1 to: 42).
view layout grid.
view
-=-=-=-=-=-=
acceptable?

#color4 would then pick the fourth colors of a suitable palette.

Alexandre

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Never mind. I read the wrong thing :)
>
> Doru
>

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Which question? Pavel did not ask a question :-)
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I do not understand the question.
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: moose & the dark theme

Peter Uhnak
I am really not happy with the current gray background, because it halves any color distinction in half, so everything becomes much harder to read.

If you have black text on white background, or white text on black background it's very distinct (as much as you can get), but when you put the color of the background in the middle, then both white text and black text (the most distant colors) become much harder to read.

Color black is turned into dim white, which is readable, but I find it unconfortable.
Color white is just unreadable (yes, I can read it, but I actually have to focus on the word and cannot just glance it).

So, could we make the default background much darker (maybe the same dark as the playground text background)?

Regarding direct color specification: yes, it is relevant (maybe not for Moose); but being able to use custom theme instead of directly specifying the colors is also fine. (in other words, I would like to be able to specify exactly what colors to use)

Peter

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 09:45:48AM +0200, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> [...]
> > view := RTMondrian new.
> > view shape circle color: Color black.
> > view nodes: (1 to: 42).
> > view layout grid.
> > view
>
> […]
>
> > Something like
> > ThemedColor new
> > for: RTDarkTheme use: Color lightGray;
> > for: RTWhiteTheme use: Color black
> >
> > And some derivates:
> >
> > ThemedColor new
> > forDark: Color lightGray;
> > forWhite: Color black
>
> Having theme raises the relevance of directly specifying colors.
> In your Mondrian example, why would you want to have black nodes? Or, are you interested in having a color that is distinct from other used colors?  And this goes with ThemedColor.
> Consider this:
> https://github.com/d3/d3-scale-chromatic
>
> We could have the d3.schemeAccent palette for White Theme and d3.schemeDark2 for the Dark theme. The users would then not directly use a color, but an index in the palette. Maybe something like:
> -=-=-=-=-=-=
> view := RTMondrian new.
> view shape circle color4.
> view nodes: (1 to: 42).
> view layout grid.
> view
> -=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> Or "view shape circle colorPink.”  since pink is the fourth of d3.schemeDark2
>
> What do you think?
>
> Let’s keep this discussion. We need to move on!
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> >> On Apr 24, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> It's done. Thank you very much, Alex!
> >> We only need to tune some colors for the best result in both themes.
> >>
> >> -- Pavel

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
> >>
> >> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
> >> - they were conceived on a white canvas
> >> - the colors are hardcoded
> >>
> >> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> > www.feenk.com
> >
> > “The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

I think this is difficult to demo and teach (and I do this a lot) because “color4” is obscure. Perhaps we can alleviate the problem by giving more domain names like:
- primary color
- emphasis color
- secondary emphasis color

But, I think there can be a nice middle ground. If, we introduce a ThemedColor like I said before, then “primaryColor” is nothing but an instance of that.

I would leave plain colors unaltered. So:
        view shape circle color: Color red.
should always be drawn red. This will be very useful during demos.

If we want to transform it, we can introduce a transformation method in Color that applies the formula of Pavel and that assumes that the color was meant relative to white.

Maybe, something like: Color red asThemed.

What do you think?

Doru

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, is something like:
> -=-=-=-=-=-=
> view := RTMondrian new.
> view shape circle color4.
> view nodes: (1 to: 42).
> view layout grid.
> view
> -=-=-=-=-=-=
> acceptable?
>
> #color4 would then pick the fourth colors of a suitable palette.
>
> Alexandre
>
>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Never mind. I read the wrong thing :)
>>
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Which question? Pavel did not ask a question :-)
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 10:18 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I mean that this kind of work will probably involve little repetitive operations that require little intelligence for the 2nd, 3rd, ... repetition
>
> being able to "declare" simply the first iteration and then replicate as simply the following ones would be nice

Of course. I just do not understand why you say we do not have the tools. I just had to refactor a significant piece of code and did it in the inspector and by using refactoring scripts (plus the cool deprecation mechanism that rewrites at execution time).

Doru

> nicolas
>

> On 24/04/2017 13:31, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> What do you mean?
>>
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Apr 24, 2017, at 10:50 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The PetitParser 2 UI also needs some care...

>>> Hi,

>>> Why do you say that we do not have these tools? We do.
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Beauty is where we see it."

> Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
> Project-Team RMod

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2

Can we continue this thread?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Apr 30, 2017, at 8:07 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think this is difficult to demo and teach (and I do this a lot) because “color4” is obscure. Perhaps we can alleviate the problem by giving more domain names like:
> - primary color
> - emphasis color
> - secondary emphasis color
>
> But, I think there can be a nice middle ground. If, we introduce a ThemedColor like I said before, then “primaryColor” is nothing but an instance of that.
>
> I would leave plain colors unaltered. So:
> view shape circle color: Color red.
> should always be drawn red. This will be very useful during demos.
>
> If we want to transform it, we can introduce a transformation method in Color that applies the formula of Pavel and that assumes that the color was meant relative to white.
>
> Maybe, something like: Color red asThemed.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Doru
>

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So, is something like:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=
>> view := RTMondrian new.
>> view shape circle color4.
>> view nodes: (1 to: 42).
>> view layout grid.
>> view
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=
>> acceptable?
>>
>> #color4 would then pick the fourth colors of a suitable palette.
>>
>> Alexandre
>>
>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Never mind. I read the wrong thing :)
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: moose & the dark theme

abergel
> Can we continue this thread?

:-)

Yes. I like what you propose. Primary Color, emphasis Color…
Having #asThemed is also easy to have. It is orthogonal actually.

The last few weeks have been intense. I will do a major overhaul of the coloring in Roassal very soon. This is crucial.
The default colors of Mondrian and Grapher also need to be completely rethought.

Alexandre