moose & the dark theme

12

moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.

The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
- they were conceived on a white canvas
- the colors are hardcoded

Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Uko2
As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.

Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)

Cheers.
Uko

> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
>
> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
> - they were conceived on a white canvas
> - the colors are hardcoded
>
> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.

I think this is not necessarily a quick fix. I think this should be the first direction we should try.

Is anyone interested in taking this on?

Cheers,
Doru

> Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)
>
> Cheers.
> Uko
>
>> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
>>
>> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
>> - they were conceived on a white canvas
>> - the colors are hardcoded
>>
>> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Pavel Krivanek-3
I can try to look at it.
However I think that we should keep Moose white in the official version and switch in time when a proper palates management will be integrated in Pharo.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

> On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.

I think this is not necessarily a quick fix. I think this should be the first direction we should try.

Is anyone interested in taking this on?

Cheers,
Doru

> Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)
>
> Cheers.
> Uko
>
>> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
>>
>> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
>> - they were conceived on a white canvas
>> - the colors are hardcoded
>>
>> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 8:44 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can try to look at it.

Great!

> However I think that we should keep Moose white in the official version and switch in time when a proper palates management will be integrated in Pharo.

Or we can try to do that in the context of Moose and see how far this goes.

Doru

> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

> > On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.
>
> I think this is not necessarily a quick fix. I think this should be the first direction we should try.
>
> Is anyone interested in taking this on?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Uko
> >
> >> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
> >>
> >> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
> >> - they were conceived on a white canvas
> >> - the colors are hardcoded
> >>
> >> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: moose & the dark theme

abergel
That was on my todo list.
Pavel, we could sync on that.

Alexandre

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 8:44 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can try to look at it.
> However I think that we should keep Moose white in the official version and switch in time when a proper palates management will be integrated in Pharo.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

> > On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.
>
> I think this is not necessarily a quick fix. I think this should be the first direction we should try.
>
> Is anyone interested in taking this on?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Uko
> >
> >> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
> >>
> >> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
> >> - they were conceived on a white canvas
> >> - the colors are hardcoded
> >>
> >> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: moose & the dark theme

Peter Uhnak
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 10:40:47PM +0200, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.
>
> I think this is not necessarily a quick fix. I think this should be the first direction we should try.

This is a quick fix, but also very ugly fix. I've done this long time ago as I regularly switch between light and dark (I toggle it with a metalink as I don't want to physically change the code, but that's not important here).

in `TRMorph>>#drawOn:` after `surface hasBeenFreed ifTrue: [ self createSurface ].` you add the following

```
surface drawDuring: [ :cs |
        cs paintMode restoreAfter: [
                cs setPaint: Color white.
                cs paintMode difference.
                cs drawShape: (0 @ 0 extent: surface extent)
        ]
].
```

but it is really weird to state in the background that you want an object blue, and suddenly you see it yellow (becuase it is inverted).

On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as there are hardcoded values all over the place).

Peter

> Is anyone interested in taking this on?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Uko
> >
> >> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
> >>
> >> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
> >> - they were conceived on a white canvas
> >> - the colors are hardcoded
> >>
> >> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Pavel Krivanek-3
RTMorph directly pre-fills the morph on the Morphic level.

I have partial success with inversion on the level of Athens:

Vložený obrázek 1

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 10:40:47PM +0200, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As a quick fix for Roassal we probably can make an “inverted colors canvas”.
>
> I think this is not necessarily a quick fix. I think this should be the first direction we should try.

This is a quick fix, but also very ugly fix. I've done this long time ago as I regularly switch between light and dark (I toggle it with a metalink as I don't want to physically change the code, but that's not important here).

in `TRMorph>>#drawOn:` after `surface hasBeenFreed ifTrue: [ self createSurface ].` you add the following

```
surface drawDuring: [ :cs |
        cs paintMode restoreAfter: [
                cs setPaint: Color white.
                cs paintMode difference.
                cs drawShape: (0 @ 0 extent: surface extent)
        ]
].
```

but it is really weird to state in the background that you want an object blue, and suddenly you see it yellow (becuase it is inverted).

On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as there are hardcoded values all over the place).

Peter

> Is anyone interested in taking this on?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > Also when Pharo was light Moose had a white theme. Now when Pharo goes dark should we make a black theme? :)
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Uko
> >
> >> On 23 Apr 2017, at 23:08, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
> >>
> >> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
> >> - they were conceived on a white canvas
> >> - the colors are hardcoded
> >>
> >> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Nicolas Anquetil
On 24/04/2017 09:38, Peter Uhnak wrote:
> On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing
> themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as
> there are hardcoded values all over the place).
> Peter

Kind of ironic that as developers of reverse-engineering tools, we don't
have the tools to help us in this task (not complex, repetitive
programming)  :-(

nicolas

--
Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
Project-Team RMod

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 24/04/2017 09:38, Peter Uhnak wrote:
>> On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as there are hardcoded values all over the place). Peter
>
> Kind of ironic that as developers of reverse-engineering tools, we don't have the tools to help us in this task (not complex, repetitive programming)  :-(

Why do you say that we do not have these tools? We do.

Doru

> nicolas
>
> --
> Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
> Project-Team RMod

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Pavel Krivanek-3
The PetitParser 2 UI also needs some care...

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 24/04/2017 09:38, Peter Uhnak wrote:
>> On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as there are hardcoded values all over the place). Peter
>
> Kind of ironic that as developers of reverse-engineering tools, we don't have the tools to help us in this task (not complex, repetitive programming)  :-(

Why do you say that we do not have these tools? We do.

Doru

> nicolas
>
> --
> Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
> Project-Team RMod

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Tudor Girba-2
What do you mean?

Doru

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 10:50 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The PetitParser 2 UI also needs some care...

> > On Apr 24, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 24/04/2017 09:38, Peter Uhnak wrote:
> >> On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as there are hardcoded values all over the place). Peter
> >
> > Kind of ironic that as developers of reverse-engineering tools, we don't have the tools to help us in this task (not complex, repetitive programming)  :-(
>
> Why do you say that we do not have these tools? We do.
>
> Doru
>
> > nicolas
> >
> > --
> > Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
> > Project-Team RMod

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Pavel Krivanek-3
In the package PetitParser2-GUI-Morphic that generates graphs for grammar elements are hardcoded colors so the viewport is white even on the dark theme. It is not based on Roassal but on plain Morphic. E.g. PP2Node>>#morphicProduction

-- Pavel

What do you mean?

Doru

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 10:50 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The PetitParser 2 UI also needs some care...

> > On Apr 24, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 24/04/2017 09:38, Peter Uhnak wrote:
> >> On discord we briefly discussed with Alex the idea of introducing themes. In principle it is not complex work, it's just lot of it. (as there are hardcoded values all over the place). Peter
> >
> > Kind of ironic that as developers of reverse-engineering tools, we don't have the tools to help us in this task (not complex, repetitive programming)  :-(
>
> Why do you say that we do not have these tools? We do.
>
> Doru
>
> > nicolas
> >
> > --
> > Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
> > Project-Team RMod

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Pavel Krivanek-3
It's done. Thank you very much, Alex!
We only need to tune some colors for the best result in both themes.

-- Pavel

[...]

I took a look at the code.

I think the transformColor: is exactly the relevant direction. But, I think there are still two issues to be addressed:

1. The logic does not yet work for everything. For example, lightRed is can be distinguished on white, but is barely so in the dark theme.

2. The more problematic issue is the mismatch between the script and the result.

Take a look at this example:
view := RTMondrian new.
view shape circle color: Color black.
view nodes: (1 to: 42).
view layout grid.
view

On a white theme, it looks like:

On the dark theme, it would be:

The problem is that in order to get the desired light gray result, I have to write “Color black” and this does not work.

How about introducing the notion of a ThemedColor?

Something like
ThemedColor new
for: RTDarkTheme use: Color lightGray;
for: RTWhiteTheme use: Color black

And some derivates:

ThemedColor new
forDark: Color lightGray;
forWhite: Color black

Cheers,
Doru

On Apr 24, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

“The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

Re: moose & the dark theme

Stephan Eggermont-3
I might prefer a color palette with semantic names: ColorPalette pastel16 primarySelectionColor. That can then be themed.

Stephan

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 24 apr. 2017 om 17:53 heeft Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

I took a look at the code.

I think the transformColor: is exactly the relevant direction. But, I think there are still two issues to be addressed:

1. The logic does not yet work for everything. For example, lightRed is can be distinguished on white, but is barely so in the dark theme.

2. The more problematic issue is the mismatch between the script and the result.

Take a look at this example:
view := RTMondrian new.
view shape circle color: Color black.
view nodes: (1 to: 42).
view layout grid.
view

On a white theme, it looks like:

<Playground-white.png>

On the dark theme, it would be:

<Playground-dark.png>

[...]

I mean that this kind of work will probably involve little repetitive
operations that require little intelligence for the 2nd, 3rd, ... repetition

being able to "declare" simply the first iteration and then replicate as
simply the following ones would be nice

nicolas

On 24/04/2017 13:31, Tudor Girba wrote:

> What do you mean?
>
> Doru
>

>> On Apr 24, 2017, at 10:50 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The PetitParser 2 UI also needs some care...

>> Hi,

>>> Kind of ironic that as developers of reverse-engineering tools, we don't have the tools to help us in this task (not complex, repetitive programming)  :-(
>> Why do you say that we do not have these tools? We do.
>>
>> Doru
>>
>>> nicolas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
>>> Project-Team RMod

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Beauty is where we see it."

Nicolas Anquetil -- MCF (HDR)
Project-Team RMod

Re: moose & the dark theme

CyrilFerlicot
Le 24/04/2017 à 22:18, Nicolas Anquetil a écrit :

> I mean that this kind of work will probably involve little repetitive
> operations that require little intelligence for the 2nd, 3rd, ...
> repetition
>
> being able to "declare" simply the first iteration and then replicate as
> simply the following ones would be nice
>
> nicolas

IIRC Mark Rizun did a tool to automate refactoring in Pharo. He
presented it at Esug in 2015.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: moose & the dark theme

abergel
Hi Doru,

> I think the transformColor: is exactly the relevant direction. But, I think there are still two issues to be addressed:

Yes, Pavel came along with a relatively good formular to transform colors.

> Take a look at this example:
> view := RTMondrian new.
> view shape circle color: Color black.
> view nodes: (1 to: 42).
> view layout grid.
> view

[…]

> Something like
> ThemedColor new
> for: RTDarkTheme use: Color lightGray;
> for: RTWhiteTheme use: Color black
>
> And some derivates:
>
> ThemedColor new
> forDark: Color lightGray;
> forWhite: Color black

Having theme raises the relevance of directly specifying colors.
In your Mondrian example, why would you want to have black nodes? Or, are you interested in having a color that is distinct from other used colors?  And this goes with ThemedColor.
Consider this:
https://github.com/d3/d3-scale-chromatic

We could have the d3.schemeAccent palette for White Theme and d3.schemeDark2 for the Dark theme. The users would then not directly use a color, but an index in the palette. Maybe something like:
-=-=-=-=-=-=
view := RTMondrian new.
view shape circle color4.
view nodes: (1 to: 42).
view layout grid.
view
-=-=-=-=-=-=

Or "view shape circle colorPink.”  since pink is the fourth of d3.schemeDark2

What do you think?

Let’s keep this discussion. We need to move on!

Cheers,
Alexandre

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Apr 24, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's done. Thank you very much, Alex!
>> We only need to tune some colors for the best result in both themes.
>>
>> -- Pavel

>> Hi,
>>
>> As you could see, in Pharo we turned the Dark Theme on by default.
>>
>> The question is what should we do with Moose. I think it would be great to have it working with the Dark Theme, but the problem is that the Roassal visualizations do not appropriate in the current theme because of two reasons:
>> - they were conceived on a white canvas
>> - the colors are hardcoded
>>
>> Showing a white canvas in the Dark Theme is not an option. Either we introduce a mechanism to adapt the visualizations to the current theme, or we keep a different theme in Moose than in Pharo.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> “The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: moose & the dark theme

Pavel Krivanek-3

I took a look at the code.

I think the transformColor: is exactly the relevant direction. But, I think there are still two issues to be addressed:

1. The logic does not yet work for everything. For example, lightRed is can be distinguished on white, but is barely so in the dark theme.

2. The more problematic issue is the mismatch between the script and the result.

Take a look at this example:
view := RTMondrian new.
view shape circle color: Color black.
view nodes: (1 to: 42).
view layout grid.
view

On a white theme, it looks like:

On the dark theme, it would be:

The problem is that in order to get the desired light gray result, I have to write “Color black” and this does not work.

White is only a shade of black :-)