Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

more VW8.0.1 issues

John Brant-2
I've found several more issues while using VW8.0.1 for a few days now.
These were observed on my windows machine.

*) If you hover over a package with a long name in the browser, it
displays the hover help with the full package name. Now, if you use the
scroll wheel, you can end up with blank package names. The icon is
displayed for the package, but the package name is missing.

*) Auto complete should complete to items that are valid. For example, I
defined a shared variable in a class named "MaxJumpSize". When typing
"Max" in a code pane, it wants to autocomplete to "MaxColumnConstraint".
That variable isn't defined in the class that I'm working on. After I
typed "MaxJ", it didn't recognize anything for the autocomplete. Here's
another example, I typed "[:each | each" and it wanted to autocomplete
to "[:each | eachCreatedChildDo:". A keyword cannot be the first thing
in a block.

*) In addition to the invalid auto-completions, there are times when I
don't understand what it is doing. For example, I have a class with an
instance variable "renameVariable". When I type "re" it wants to
complete to "renameVariable" -- that is what I expect. However, if I
type "ren", it switches to want to complete to "rename" which isn't a
valid variable name. If I want to autocomplete, I must continue typing
until I get to the "V" (i.e., "renameV"). Why did it switch the
auto-completion suggestion when the original suggestion was still valid?
In this case, I typed "re" and while I was typing "n" I also noticed
that the suggestion was valid so I hit tab, but it switched the
suggestion after the "n" was typed even though the original suggestion
was still valid.

*) If I position the text cursor with the mouse or keyboard (using the
arrows), then when I type a character it should insert that character no
matter what the next character is. Currently, if you position the text
cursor before a "]" and type a "]", it just moves the text cursor to the
next position without inserting a character.

*) Type "[" and hit backspace -- you are left with "]". If the editor is
"smart" enough to insert the closing bracket, it should be smart enough
to remove it when I deleted the original opening bracket.

*) Ctrl-Backspace in Windows should delete the previous word. I know
that VW hasn't had this in the past, but every other editor in Windows
has had it for 25 or so years now.

*) Click inside method and create a reference to OrderedCollection. If
your mouse is hoving over OrderedCollection, it displays
"Core.OrderedCollection" as the hover help. While this hover help is
displayed, you can't type anything in the method. It appears that the
character typed closes the hover help, but since the mouse is still over
the item, it immediately reopens the hover help. To type " new", I must
move the mouse.

*) Define a metaclass method that has a block with an argument named
"name". It displays a warning that the variable is redeclared and a
quick fix to "Remove redeclared variable name". If you do that, you end
up with "Syntax Error: Argument name expected". You can't remove a block
argument. The fix should be to rename the block argument.

*) Someone might want to look at the results of Package->Spawn->Non
Cincom Code. Evidently, nothing in my image is Cincom code as everything
is listed as "Non Cincom Code".

*) It is impossible to reset the break at count in the debugger when the
breakpoint is the first thing in the method. For example, insert a
breakpoint at the start of the method. The breakpoint gets inserted with
a break on first occurrence. The method is restarted causing the
breakpoint to fire and the occurrence count to be set to "0". If you
click "0" to set it to "1", it restarts the method, fires the breakpoint
again, and resets the occurrence count to "0" again. There doesn't
appear to be any way to get out of this loop in the debugger. I don't
understand why changing the iteration count would need to restart the
method. Isn't the breakpoint an object that you can change without
restarting a method?

*) How do I set conditional breakpoints? The old interface was clunky,
but workable. If you can still set them in the new interface, I have no
clue what to do. I've reverted back to inserting "self halt"s in the code.

*) When you have a copy buffer with a bunch of lines and bring up a
dialog that asks to enter a string, those lines are displayed in the
single line dialog. The lines are printed on top of each other, and it
isn't possible to select the whole string to delete all of the lines. I
have to close the dialog, copy some other text, and retry. I know this
bug has existing for a really long time, but it is really annoying when
it happens and it should have been fixed 20 some years ago.

John Brant
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: more VW8.0.1 issues

Michael Lucas-Smith-2

> On 14 Jul 2015, at 6:06 am, John Brant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've found several more issues while using VW8.0.1 for a few days now. These were observed on my windows machine.
>
> *) If you hover over a package with a long name in the browser, it displays the hover help with the full package name. Now, if you use the scroll wheel, you can end up with blank package names. The icon is displayed for the package, but the package name is missing.

I’ve not seen that one yet.

>
> *) Auto complete should complete to items that are valid. For example, I defined a shared variable in a class named "MaxJumpSize". When typing "Max" in a code pane, it wants to autocomplete to "MaxColumnConstraint". That variable isn't defined in the class that I'm working on. After I typed "MaxJ", it didn't recognize anything for the autocomplete. Here's another example, I typed "[:each | each" and it wanted to autocomplete to "[:each | eachCreatedChildDo:". A keyword cannot be the first thing in a block.

Partially fixed in 8.1, more work to come here.

>
> *) In addition to the invalid auto-completions, there are times when I don't understand what it is doing. For example, I have a class with an instance variable "renameVariable". When I type "re" it wants to complete to "renameVariable" -- that is what I expect. However, if I type "ren", it switches to want to complete to "rename" which isn't a valid variable name. If I want to autocomplete, I must continue typing until I get to the "V" (i.e., "renameV"). Why did it switch the auto-completion suggestion when the original suggestion was still valid? In this case, I typed "re" and while I was typing "n" I also noticed that the suggestion was valid so I hit tab, but it switched the suggestion after the "n" was typed even though the original suggestion was still valid.

Should be fixed in 8.1.

>
> *) If I position the text cursor with the mouse or keyboard (using the arrows), then when I type a character it should insert that character no matter what the next character is. Currently, if you position the text cursor before a "]" and type a "]", it just moves the text cursor to the next position without inserting a character.
>

Changed in 8.1 to be more consistent and hopefully make more sense.

> *) Type "[" and hit backspace -- you are left with "]". If the editor is "smart" enough to insert the closing bracket, it should be smart enough to remove it when I deleted the original opening bracket.

Fixed in 8.1.

>
> *) Ctrl-Backspace in Windows should delete the previous word. I know that VW hasn't had this in the past, but every other editor in Windows has had it for 25 or so years now.

Fixed in 8.1.

>
> *) Click inside method and create a reference to OrderedCollection. If your mouse is hoving over OrderedCollection, it displays "Core.OrderedCollection" as the hover help. While this hover help is displayed, you can't type anything in the method. It appears that the character typed closes the hover help, but since the mouse is still over the item, it immediately reopens the hover help. To type " new", I must move the mouse.
>

An odd bug that presents on Windows only. We’re still looking in to it.

> *) Define a metaclass method that has a block with an argument named "name". It displays a warning that the variable is redeclared and a quick fix to "Remove redeclared variable name". If you do that, you end up with "Syntax Error: Argument name expected". You can't remove a block argument. The fix should be to rename the block argument.
>

I’ll make an AR for that.

> *) Someone might want to look at the results of Package->Spawn->Non Cincom Code. Evidently, nothing in my image is Cincom code as everything is listed as "Non Cincom Code”.

That doesn’t happen in my image.

>
> *) It is impossible to reset the break at count in the debugger when the breakpoint is the first thing in the method. For example, insert a breakpoint at the start of the method. The breakpoint gets inserted with a break on first occurrence. The method is restarted causing the breakpoint to fire and the occurrence count to be set to "0". If you click "0" to set it to "1", it restarts the method, fires the breakpoint again, and resets the occurrence count to "0" again. There doesn't appear to be any way to get out of this loop in the debugger. I don't understand why changing the iteration count would need to restart the method. Isn't the breakpoint an object that you can change without restarting a method?

Fixed in 8.1.

>
> *) How do I set conditional breakpoints? The old interface was clunky, but workable. If you can still set them in the new interface, I have no clue what to do. I've reverted back to inserting "self halt"s in the code.

You can type in between the square brackets to make the breakpoint conditional. This was way too subtle and we’ve changed it in 8.1 so that it’s much more obvious.

>
> *) When you have a copy buffer with a bunch of lines and bring up a dialog that asks to enter a string, those lines are displayed in the single line dialog. The lines are printed on top of each other, and it isn't possible to select the whole string to delete all of the lines. I have to close the dialog, copy some other text, and retry. I know this bug has existing for a really long time, but it is really annoying when it happens and it should have been fixed 20 some years ago.
>

I think this might have been fixed in 8.1. I recall seeing an AR about it and it might have gone in to 8.1.

>
> John Brant
> _______________________________________________
> vwnc mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: more VW8.0.1 issues

Björn Eiderbäck-2

Den 14/07/15 kl. 04:20, skrev Michael Lucas-Smith:
*) In addition to the invalid auto-completions, there are times when I don't understand what it is doing. For example, I have a class with an instance variable "renameVariable". When I type "re" it wants to complete to "renameVariable" -- that is what I expect. However, if I type "ren", it switches to want to complete to "rename" which isn't a valid variable name. If I want to autocomplete, I must continue typing until I get to the "V" (i.e., "renameV"). Why did it switch the auto-completion suggestion when the original suggestion was still valid? In this case, I typed "re" and while I was typing "n" I also noticed that the suggestion was valid so I hit tab, but it switched the suggestion after the "n" was typed even though the original suggestion was still valid.
Should be fixed in 8.1.
Would have been really nice if one would get a pop up with all possible messages to choose from. In the case of self all methods in the current class and its superclasses. In case of a variable one could do as for instance IntelliJ when using a dynamic language as Python, JavaScript or frameworks as AngularJS, i.e. it proposes all messages sent to that particular variable in the current class (or its superclasses). I suggest that you look at IntelliJ and its immediate proposals by means of a popup to, or not to, chose from (by means of the keyboard, of course). As soon as you type you immediately get suggestions.
Maybe one could do something even better context wise but my feeling is that it is really smooth and by no means in the way of the user/programming experience. Rather the contrary!
For demo videos look at for instance https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/documentation/ the section Code Completion.
*) How do I set conditional breakpoints? The old interface was clunky, but workable. If you can still set them in the new interface, I have no clue what to do. I've reverted back to inserting "self halt"s in the code.
You can type in between the square brackets to make the breakpoint conditional. This was way too subtle and we’ve changed it in 8.1 so that it’s much more obvious.
When one do that one has to Accept unsaved text changes.

/Björn