moving app from 7.2 to 7.7

Hans Baveco
I finally decided to spent some effort moving a reasonably large application from VW 7.2 to 7.7.
The main problem is AFAIKT that the structure of the old code is based on ' categories'.  All code belonging to the application (around 1000 classes, in a hundred categories) was put in one big package & parcel. When I loaded this parcel in another (7.2) image, the categories were maintained.

Categories have gone since long, and are more or less replaced by packages?
Anyway, I did the following to add future-proof structure to the code in 7.2:
- defined a Bundle containing a dozen sub Bundles
- within each (sub) Bundle I defined a number of packages
- code in each category was moved into a package within the appropriate sub Bundle

This gave me a nice & good-looking structure, comparable to the one of the Base VisualWorks Bundle.

However, how can I get the code out of VW7.2 in such a way that the structure (Bundle, sub Bundles, packages) is maintained?
I tried "publish as parcel"  for the highest level Bundle. This results in one parcel; however when loading this in VW7.7 it appears as a single Package  with lots of classes.

What would be the simplest way to achieve what I want?
Thanks for any hints!

Hans

Re: moving app from 7.2 to 7.7

Steven Kelly
Choose "Include bundle structure" in the "Publish as Parcel" dialog?
Steve

Re: moving app from 7.2 to 7.7

jarober
You'll have to script something that modifies the 7.2 fileout to create the package structure from the categories, or create the package structure in 7.2 and export that.

On Feb 18, 2011, at 10:18 AM, Baveco, Hans wrote:

> I finally decided to spent some effort moving a reasonably large application from VW 7.2 to 7.7.
> The main problem is AFAIKT that the structure of the old code is based on ' categories'.  All code belonging to the application (around 1000 classes, in a hundred categories) was put in one big package & parcel. When I loaded this parcel in another (7.2) image, the categories were maintained.
>
> Categories have gone since long, and are more or less replaced by packages?
> Anyway, I did the following to add future-proof structure to the code in 7.2:
> - defined a Bundle containing a dozen sub Bundles
> - within each (sub) Bundle I defined a number of packages
> - code in each category was moved into a package within the appropriate sub Bundle
>
> This gave me a nice & good-looking structure, comparable to the one of the Base VisualWorks Bundle.
>
> However, how can I get the code out of VW7.2 in such a way that the structure (Bundle, sub Bundles, packages) is maintained?
> I tried "publish as parcel"  for the highest level Bundle. This results in one parcel; however when loading this in VW7.7 it appears as a single Package  with lots of classes.
>
> What would be the simplest way to achieve what I want?
> Thanks for any hints!
>
> Hans

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

moving app from 7.2 to 7.7

Hans Baveco

Thanks, “Include bundle structure” in the “ Publish as Parcel”  dialog worked fine. I thought it was an option for publishing via Store to database only...

Hans