msvcr.dll

Maarten Mostert

The AppDevGuide for 7.9.1 tells me (page 419)  that the VM needs msvcr.dll  in either System32 or SysWOW64.

My first problem is that I don't have a copy of msvcr.dll  on my Windows 7 system.

My second problem is that I would like to know a little bit more about what this file is. Why is it that my VM runs without this dll.  I can manage to find out wheter I install on 32 or 64 bit Windows. But after an uninstall should I remove it. Do other applications use this DLL ?

Thanks,

@+Maarten,

Re: msvcr.dll

Joachim Geidel
Hi Maarten,

the details are in $VISUALWORKS\doc\ReleaseNotes7.9.pdf, page 2-1. msvcr100.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable standard C library. For details, see the MSDN pages about redistributable code for Visual C++.

Niall posted a very helpful explanation in July 2012:
More by Andres and Pete:

Joachim

Am 03.05.2014 um 16:56 schrieb [hidden email]:

The AppDevGuide for 7.9.1 tells me (page 419)  that the VM needs msvcr.dll  in either System32 or SysWOW64.
My first problem is that I don't have a copy of msvcr.dll  on my Windows 7 system.
My second problem is that I would like to know a little bit more about what this file is. Why is it that my VM runs without this dll.  I can manage to find out wheter I install on 32 or 64 bit Windows. But after an uninstall should I remove it. Do other applications use this DLL ?

Thanks,

@+Maarten,

Re: msvcr.dll

Niall Ross
Dear Maarten,
    if your 7.9(.1) or 7.10(.1) VM runs on Windows 7 then either you
already had this dll installed, or that VW's installer installed it
along with the product, or that VW's installer was unable to write to
system locations so put it in the bin\win(64) directory, or you (in
7.10(.1)) are using the statically-linked VM (see ReleaseNotes7.10.pdf,
page 2-3).

(Or something very strange is happening.)

             HTH
                Niall Ross

Joachim Geidel wrote:

>Hi Maarten,
>
>the details are in $VISUALWORKS\doc\ReleaseNotes7.9.pdf, page 2-1. msvcr100.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable standard C library. For details, see the MSDN pages about redistributable code for Visual C++.
>
>Niall posted a very helpful explanation in July 2012:
> http://forum.world.st/now-vw7-9-msvcr100-dll-Re-vw7-8-64-bit-on-windows-error-tp4640037p4640104.html
>More by Andres and Pete:
> http://forum.world.st/now-vw7-9-msvcr100-dll-Re-vw7-8-64-bit-on-windows-error-tp4640037p4640639.html
>
>Joachim
>
>Am 03.05.2014 um 16:56 schrieb [hidden email]:
>

>>The AppDevGuide for 7.9.1 tells me (page 419)  that the VM needs msvcr.dll  in either System32 or SysWOW64.
>>My first problem is that I don't have a copy of msvcr.dll  on my Windows 7 system.
>>My second problem is that I would like to know a little bit more about what this file is. Why is it that my VM runs without this dll.  I can manage to find out wheter I install on 32 or 64 bit Windows. But after an uninstall should I remove it. Do other applications use this DLL ?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>@+Maarten,

Re: msvcr.dll

Maarten Mostert

Thanks everyone this will do it without to many hickups.

Niall please notice that the latest Appdev still mentions the wrong name for the the DLL msvcr.dll instead of msvcr100.dll.

As we're at it do I need to ship the vwntoe.dll  ?

Regards,

@+Maarten,

> "Niall Ross" <[hidden email]> |

> Dear Maarten,

> if your 7.9(.1) or 7.10(.1) VM runs on Windows 7 then either you
> already had this dll installed, or that VW's installer installed it
> along with the product, or that VW's installer was unable to write to
> system locations so put it in the bin\win(64) directory, or you (in
> 7.10(.1)) are using the statically-linked VM (see ReleaseNotes7.10.pdf,
> page 2-3).
>
> (Or something very strange is happening.)
>
> HTH
> Niall Ross
>
> Joachim Geidel wrote:
>
> >Hi Maarten,
> >
> >the details are in $VISUALWORKS\doc\ReleaseNotes7.9.pdf, page 2-1.
> msvcr100.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable standard C library.
> For details, see the MSDN pages about redistributable code for Visual C++.
> >
> >Niall posted a very helpful explanation in July 2012:
> > http://forum.world.st/now-vw7-9-msvcr100-dll-Re-vw7-8-64-bit-on-windows-error-tp4640037p4640104.html
> >More by Andres and Pete:
> > http://forum.world.st/now-vw7-9-msvcr100-dll-Re-vw7-8-64-bit-on-windows-error-tp4640037p4640639.html
> >
> >Joachim
> >
> >Am 03.05.2014 um 16:56 schrieb [hidden email]:
> >

> >>The AppDevGuide for 7.9.1 tells me (page 419) that the VM needs msvcr.dll
> in either System32 or SysWOW64.
> >>My first problem is that I don't have a copy of msvcr.dll on my Windows 7
> system.
> >>My second problem is that I would like to know a little bit more about
> what this file is. Why is it that my VM runs without this dll. I can manage to
> find out wheter I install on 32 or 64 bit Windows. But after an uninstall should I
> remove it. Do other applications use this DLL ?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>@+Maarten,

Re: msvcr.dll

Niall Ross
Dear Maarten,

>As we're at it do I need to ship the vwntoe.dll  ?

For deployment, the 'visual' engines such as visual.exe are
recommended;  they're stripped and smaller.  For development, the
vw<plat> are recommended, e.g. vwnt.exe.  The latter (only) requires
vwnt.dll.  Thus in both an ordinary deployment, shipping the main
visual.exe (and msvcr100.dll), and in one-file deployment using the
statically-linked visual.exe (and no dlls at all), you don't need to
ship vwnt.dll.  If for any reason you are shipping vwnt.exe then you
will also need to supply vwnt.dll but the need to do so should be rare.

             HTH
                   Niall Ross

Re: msvcr.dll

Mark Roberts
Maarten,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The documentation has been
fixed (AR 70103) for the VW 8.0 release.

Best,

Mark