multi-user setup and garbage collection

NorbertHartl
While migrating my sites from an old to a new image I decided to try a multi-user setup. That means that I have a few users that have a completely separated/bootstrapped object memory. Each of this users has its own gem to serve web requests.

I'm totally satisified with the approach. The amount of packages installed differs a lot between the users and the versions of each software starts to differ, too. It is good because it is possible.

Are there any precautions/settings to be aware of when garbage collection comes into play? I just log into DataCurator and do garbage collection.

Norbert

Re: multi-user setup and garbage collection

James Foster
Norbert,

From the point-of-view of garbage collection, there is nothing special about multiple users. Objects are just objects; it doesn't matter what path is taken to hold a reference. The root of the object graph is AllUsers, and references to an object can be through any UserProfile instance.

James