multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Hi folks,

I just updated my Squeak6.0 and on a whim I am running all the tests to see what happens.

Interestingly, while the tests are running (and no information/progress bar popup is in place) I clicked on the World and the World menu popped up.

Is squeak now able to multi-task?

cheers,

Re: multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Timothy.

Is squeak now able to multi-task?

No, but some tests do process all pending user-input events from Morphic but just wanting to process the deferred UI messages ... or trigger a redrawing or something like that.

Just the usual "multi-tasking illusion" ^__^

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.01.2021 13:30:26 schrieb gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]>:

Hi folks,

I just updated my Squeak6.0 and on a whim I am running all the tests to see what happens.

Interestingly, while the tests are running (and no information/progress bar popup is in place) I clicked on the World and the World menu popped up.

Is squeak now able to multi-task?

cheers,

Re: multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

Squeak - Dev mailing list
heh....

I came back to the image after the tests had run and I have 4 "images" running simultaneously!

David T. Lewis....

my first thought is your OSProcess thing (which I have not tried out yet) that let's us spawn multiple images.

BTW, I hope someday I can run Squeak and have all the tools available as typical X windows apps.

cheers.

---- On Tue, 05 Jan 2021 07:33:32 -0500 Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi Timothy.

Is squeak now able to multi-task?

No, but some tests do process all pending user-input events from Morphic but just wanting to process the deferred UI messages ... or trigger a redrawing or something like that.

Just the usual "multi-tasking illusion" ^__^

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.01.2021 13:30:26 schrieb gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]>:

Hi folks,

I just updated my Squeak6.0 and on a whim I am running all the tests to see what happens.

Interestingly, while the tests are running (and no information/progress bar popup is in place) I clicked on the World and the World menu popped up.

Is squeak now able to multi-task?

cheers,

Re: multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Timothy.

OSProcess allows you to fork the running VM process with the image from within the image -- at least on Unix-based platforms. So you can easily run all tests "in background" with dedicated OS threads. The result can be communicated back to the "main" image via inter-process communication, which OSProcess also provides.

BTW, I hope someday I can run Squeak and have all the tools available as typical X windows apps.

There is already the HostWindowPlugin, which enables users to spawn new host windows -- but Morphic is not able to make good use of it at the moment. Its big central world is too monolithic at the moment. I have some ideas on how to split that up and -- for example -- assign morphs within a world to various host windows. Such morphs could the SystemWindows or just those window's contents. ... not breaking the powerful halo-inspection mechanics, of course. ;-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.01.2021 15:25:55 schrieb gettimothy <[hidden email]>:

[...]

MegaMultiSuperSqueak.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

Herbert König

Hi Marcel,

Am 05.01.21 um 15:33 schrieb Marcel Taeumel:

There is already the HostWindowPlugin, which enables users to spawn new host windows -- but Morphic is not able to make good use of it at the moment. Its big central world is too monolithic at the moment. I have some ideas on how to split that up and -- for example -- assign morphs within a world to various host windows. Such morphs could the SystemWindows or just those window's contents. ... not breaking the powerful halo-inspection mechanics, of course. ;-)

What happens, in that scenario when I switch projects? Would be cool, if I could have one host window from the previous project still open, while working in the current project. Would be uncool if it hinders the use of projects.

I think this would need a lot of thought. Changes in a host window spawned from an inactive project? Or just close all host windows when leaving a project? Auto spawn all associated host windows on project entry? Change project only in the main host window? Or each host window = a project? (I'd like this!)

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Herbert.

What happens, in that scenario when I switch projects?

Well, Morphic projects cannot yet run in the background. This would imply undefined behavior for host windows, too, if not closed upon switching projects. :-)

Well, if you would want to keep those host windows open, there is no need to work with multiple Squeak/Morphic projects anymore since you could organize your open tools with host windows in the host environment and rely on the support of multiple desktops in that host environment. Makes sense?  ... of course, this would pull out valuable information of your current work state out of the image into the host environment. Save & quit could be tricky. Hmm... Not sure whether the position of a host window can be restored to fill those virtual host desktops again.

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.01.2021 16:01:10 schrieb Herbert <[hidden email]>:

[...]

I have projects with documentation (objects from the object catalog, some of them half alive). Projects are very important to me and you mentioned you want to keep halos functional. If host windows = IDE only that's a big step back imo. Unless a host window is just a project and clicking just does 'jump to project' in Squeak.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 05.01.21 um 16:10 schrieb Marcel Taeumel:
Hi Herbert.

[...]

This is just shallow brainstorming. :-)

I have projects with documentation (objects from the object catalog, some of them half alive).

Those could be integrated into any existing project and then "packaged" into a host window. But I am talking implementation detail here.

Of course, projects should keep on working. They are useful to organize pieces of information in the image.

Best,
Marcel