music remixer

jayh
A Squeak-based music remixer with a Seaside web GUI,
is (intermittently) online at: http://tone23.org/qtone.
Will hopefully be incorporated into a commercial site
eventually, but for now this (alpha) version is there
for the curious, running on my home machine (a 4-processor
Macintel).

Aesthetically it's real simple (visually) so far, with
some evident hacks owing to my limited experience with html
and web apps. This was essentially an exercise at duplicating
a desktop-based (Morphic) app in Seaside. (No facility for
importing MIDI/audio files yet - only preset choices)

Anyway, questions and comments welcome (can also reach me
at [hidden email])

Jay

Re: music remixer

Brad Fuller
Jay Hardesty wrote:

> A Squeak-based music remixer with a Seaside web GUI,
> is (intermittently) online at: http://tone23.org/qtone.
> Will hopefully be incorporated into a commercial site
> eventually, but for now this (alpha) version is there
> for the curious, running on my home machine (a 4-processor
> Macintel).
>
> Aesthetically it's real simple (visually) so far, with
> some evident hacks owing to my limited experience with html
> and web apps. This was essentially an exercise at duplicating
> a desktop-based (Morphic) app in Seaside. (No facility for
> importing MIDI/audio files yet - only preset choices)
>
> Anyway, questions and comments welcome (can also reach me
> at [hidden email])

sounds great. I'd like to see how it works.
It seems to be real slow to render the page. Then, when it finally
renders, and I push anything in the Qtone remixer, I get a
"Could not connect to remote server"

Re: music remixer

jayh
Should hopefully be working again now - just got
home and restarted it.  I imagine it'll be pretty
unreliable until I work out the kinks  (the underlying
app is solid, but my Seaside connection seems to
get confused easily).

Thanks for being brave enough to try it out -
let me know if it continues not to work for you

THanks,
Jay

Jay Hardesty wrote:
> Should hopefully be working again now - just got
> home and restarted it.  I imagine it'll be pretty
> unreliable until I work out the kinks  (the underlying
> app is solid, but my Seaside connection seems to
> get confused easily).
>
> Thanks for being brave enough to try it out -
> let me know if it continues not to work for you
It now allows me to go to the qtone page. thanks
Seems to fill in notes when I select random (etc) according to the
instructions below.
However, I don't see a transport to play. A tune name does get created
under the notes, but no transport is present.

I'm on linux, FC5 and I tried it with both Firefox and Opera 9

Re: music remixer

jayh

OK think the problem was I had "localhost" instead of the
proper address below.

        html tableRowWith: [
                html
                        attributeAt: 'src' put: 'http://68.175.105.240:9090/export/',
fileName;
                        attributeAt: 'width' put: 256;
                        attributeAt: 'height' put: 20;
                        attributeAt: 'controls' put: 'true';
                        attributeAt: 'cache' put: 'false';
                        attributeAt: 'autostart' put: (fileName = 'blank.mid') not asString;
                        attributeAt: 'loop' put: 'true';
                        tag: 'embed']

Now I expect the transport should appear...?

In any case here are the midi files you produced, in case interested:

On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Jay Hardesty wrote:
>> Should hopefully be working again now - just got
>> home and restarted it.  I imagine it'll be pretty
>> unreliable until I work out the kinks  (the underlying
>> app is solid, but my Seaside connection seems to
>> get confused easily).
>>
>> Thanks for being brave enough to try it out -
>> let me know if it continues not to work for you
> It now allows me to go to the qtone page. thanks
> Seems to fill in notes when I select random (etc) according to the
> instructions below.
> However, I don't see a transport to play. A tune name does get created
> under the notes, but no transport is present.
>
> I'm on linux, FC5 and I tried it with both Firefox and Opera 9

eminemBond-C.mid (1K) Download Attachment
empers-E.mid (3K) Download Attachment
voicely-A.mid (3K) Download Attachment
bond-D.mid (1K) Download Attachment

Re: music remixer

Brad Fuller
Jay Hardesty wrote:

> OK think the problem was I had "localhost" instead of the
> proper address below.
>
>     html tableRowWith: [
>         html
>             attributeAt: 'src' put:
> 'http://68.175.105.240:9090/export/', fileName;
>             attributeAt: 'width' put: 256;
>             attributeAt: 'height' put: 20;
>             attributeAt: 'controls' put: 'true';
>             attributeAt: 'cache' put: 'false';
>             attributeAt: 'autostart' put: (fileName = 'blank.mid') not
> asString;
>             attributeAt: 'loop' put: 'true';
>             tag: 'embed']
>
> Now I expect the transport should appear...?
on opera, It didn't for me. I went back to the main page and then linked
thru.

On firefox, the frame of the transport appeared, but then Firefox
complained that it didn't find a suitable plugin.

(Seems unfortunate that you resort to specifying the exact ip address.)

Re: music remixer

jayh

Of course, one *little* detail I forgot to mention - the
app returns its results in the form of a MIDI file, not
an MP3 (at the moment), and so your browser must
have some plugin for handling MIDI - on Mac and
Windows it's Quicktime - not sure what what the
standard is for Linux, though http://www.alsa-project.org/
seems to be a good resource.

Jay

On Sep 22, 2006, at 7:25 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Jay Hardesty wrote:
>>
>> OK think the problem was I had "localhost" instead of the
>> proper address below.
>>
>>     html tableRowWith: [
>>         html
>>             attributeAt: 'src' put:
>> 'http://68.175.105.240:9090/export/', fileName;
>>             attributeAt: 'width' put: 256;
>>             attributeAt: 'height' put: 20;
>>             attributeAt: 'controls' put: 'true';
>>             attributeAt: 'cache' put: 'false';
>>             attributeAt: 'autostart' put: (fileName = 'blank.mid')
>> not
>> asString;
>>             attributeAt: 'loop' put: 'true';
>>             tag: 'embed']
>>
>> Now I expect the transport should appear...?
> on opera, It didn't for me. I went back to the main page and then
> linked
> thru.
>
> On firefox, the frame of the transport appeared, but then Firefox
> complained that it didn't find a suitable plugin.
>
> (Seems unfortunate that you resort to specifying the exact ip
> address.)

Re: music remixer

Reinhard Handl
hi jay,

great, thx, works great for me.
instead of listening to online radio
while coding,
i now listen to my own mix ;-)

cheers, reinhard

Jay Hardesty schrieb:

> Should hopefully be working again now - just got
> home and restarted it.  I imagine it'll be pretty
> unreliable until I work out the kinks  (the underlying
> app is solid, but my Seaside connection seems to
> get confused easily).
>
> Thanks for being brave enough to try it out -
> let me know if it continues not to work for you
>
> THanks,
> Jay
>

> On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Jay Hardesty wrote:
>>> A Squeak-based music remixer with a Seaside web GUI,
>>> is (intermittently) online at: http://tone23.org/qtone.
>>> Will hopefully be incorporated into a commercial site
>>> eventually, but for now this (alpha) version is there
>>> for the curious, running on my home machine (a 4-processor
>>> Macintel).
>>>
>>> Aesthetically it's real simple (visually) so far, with
>>> some evident hacks owing to my limited experience with html
>>> and web apps. This was essentially an exercise at duplicating
>>> a desktop-based (Morphic) app in Seaside. (No facility for
>>> importing MIDI/audio files yet - only preset choices)
>>>
>>> Anyway, questions and comments welcome (can also reach me
>>> at [hidden email])
>>>
>> sounds great. I'd like to see how it works.
>> It seems to be real slow to render the page. Then, when it finally
>> renders, and I push anything in the Qtone remixer, I get a
>> "Could not connect to remote server"

Re: music remixer

Reinhard Handl
forgot to mention: win xp and firefox 1.5.0.7

cheers

Reinhard Handl schrieb:

> hi jay,
>
> great, thx, works great for me.
> instead of listening to online radio
> while coding,
> i now listen to my own mix ;-)
>
> cheers, reinhard
>

> Jay Hardesty schrieb:
>> Should hopefully be working again now - just got
>> home and restarted it.  I imagine it'll be pretty
>> unreliable until I work out the kinks  (the underlying
>> app is solid, but my Seaside connection seems to
>> get confused easily).
>>
>> Thanks for being brave enough to try it out -
>> let me know if it continues not to work for you
>>
>> THanks,
>> Jay

>>> sounds great. I'd like to see how it works.
>>> It seems to be real slow to render the page. Then, when it finally
>>> renders, and I push anything in the Qtone remixer, I get a
>>> "Could not connect to remote server"

Re: music remixer

jayh

Thanks very much for the encouraging comments.
The app seems to be working tolerably well, being
my first attempt at implementing/hosting a multi-user
web app - anyway over a hundred songs seem
to have been cranked out in the past day.

Still need to work out why http requests
occasionally never get a response - sometimes even
for simple calculations. Apparently I still have some
things to learn about the proper handling of requests
in different situations.

Seaside is amazing - never would have even tried
getting this app online otherwise, given my very
fragmentary knowledge of networking issues.
As an exercise I did a much simpler interface in Java
to run the app on a cellphone, and that programming
was much more painful than getting this more
complicated web version up in Seaside.

Thanks to everyone who tries the app, and for any
feedback.
Jay