need help with workingDirectory...

Russ Whaley
I'm on MacOS 10.13.6, Pharo v9 (but have same issue on v8).

When I want to get the directory where the current image was launched, I use the following:

FileSystem workingDirectory

The comments from this method are:
 "Returns a reference to the directory from where the image was launched"

What I get (from Playground) is: FileSystem workingDirectory >>> File @ /

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the comments?  I can specifically tell Pharo where to find my files, but I have to then change code each time I change/update/upgrade images (across a number of applications).

If there is no way, I'll move everything to a standard folder (outside the image) - this just made USB backups quick and easy to have everything in one folder... I can adapt :)

Thanks,
Russ

Russ Whaley

Re: need help with workingDirectory...

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hmm, I am getting another result:

FileSystem workingDirectory.
 "File @ /Users/sven/Develop/Pharo/Pharo-Daily/2020-05-06"

Which is correct for me.

This is recent 9.0 on macOS 10.15.4

> On 26 May 2020, at 13:44, Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm on MacOS 10.13.6, Pharo v9 (but have same issue on v8).
>
> When I want to get the directory where the current image was launched, I use the following:
>
> FileSystem workingDirectory
>
> The comments from this method are:
>  "Returns a reference to the directory from where the image was launched"
>
> What I get (from Playground) is: FileSystem workingDirectory >>> File @ /
>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding the comments?  I can specifically tell Pharo where to find my files, but I have to then change code each time I change/update/upgrade images (across a number of applications).
>
> If there is no way, I'll move everything to a standard folder (outside the image) - this just made USB backups quick and easy to have everything in one folder... I can adapt :)
>
> Thanks,
> Russ
>
> --
> Russ Whaley

Re: need help with workingDirectory...

CyrilFerlicot
HI,

You have two different things:
- working copy
- image directory

The working copy return the folder from which the image was launched.
Most of the time it is the image directory but not all the time.

For example ./pharo-ui ../../test/pharo.image will have the working
directory be the location of the pharo-ui script.

The image directory is what you are looking for.

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 1:45 PM Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm on MacOS 10.13.6, Pharo v9 (but have same issue on v8).
>
> When I want to get the directory where the current image was launched, I use the following:
>
> FileSystem workingDirectory
>
> The comments from this method are:
>  "Returns a reference to the directory from where the image was launched"
>
> What I get (from Playground) is: FileSystem workingDirectory >>> File @ /
>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding the comments?  I can specifically tell Pharo where to find my files, but I have to then change code each time I change/update/upgrade images (across a number of applications).
>
> If there is no way, I'll move everything to a standard folder (outside the image) - this just made USB backups quick and easy to have everything in one folder... I can adapt :)
>
> Thanks,
> Russ
>
> --
> Russ Whaley

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 1:59 PM Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI,
>
> You have two different things:
> - working copy

working directory*