new Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

...in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3000/

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.772/r3000

Add libcrypto and libssl to Linux and Mac builds of the SqueakSSL plugin.

Add the XDisplayControlPlugin and include it (external) and the AioPlugin
(internal) to the linux x86 builds.

Cog:
Fix an abort (relocating call to invalid address) due to an over-zealous check
in relocateCallBeforeReturnPC:by:.  Since we relocate e.g. calls to primitives
there can be no effective range check there-in.

Spur:
Fix fillObj: signedness for objects straddling the midpoint of the address
space (quickly affects linux).  Similarly for routines in pigCompact, to get
asserts correct.

Fix printOopsFrom:to:. for objects up to endOfMemory.

Declare lastFreeChunk and firstFreeChunk correctly.  Fix numberOfForwarders:
and printForwarders: for isForwarded:'s blindness towards freeChunks.
Comment isForwarded: to be clear on the issue.

Have the segment manager pass to sqAllocateMemorySegmentOfSize: the address of
the first large enough gap in the address space, instead of the address of the
end of the first segment.  This allows e.g. linux to use MAP_FIXED and hence
get past a 128Mb limit on mmapping.

Fix bugs in isValidFreeObject: & printFreeTreeChunk: that caused bogus assert
failures.

Remember to include the Spur moniker in the -version output on linux
best,
Eliot

Re: new Cog VMs available

Frank Shearar-3

On 14 June 2014 05:59, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3000/
>
> CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.772/r3000

Always happy to have to update CI to use the latest Cog :)

But one question I asked yesterday, and need an answer to - are you
abandoning the YY/WW/rev location path? It's not a biggie if you do;
it just means I need to touch a few more lines of code.

frank

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 14, 2014, at 12:59 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

...in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3000/

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.772/r3000

Add libcrypto and libssl to Linux and Mac builds of the SqueakSSL plugin.

That will make using the Altitude web framework much easier.

Providing they work... Any news?

Chris

[...]

best,
Eliot

Re: new Cog VMs available

Frank Shearar-3

On 14 June 2014 11:23, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 June 2014 05:59, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ...in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3000/
>>
>> CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.772/r3000
>
> Always happy to have to update CI to use the latest Cog :)
>
> But one question I asked yesterday, and need an answer to - are you
> abandoning the YY/WW/rev location path? It's not a biggie if you do;
> it just means I need to touch a few more lines of code.

Never mind, false alarm. I forgot that the yy.ww.rev scheme is in the
name of the artifact, but the path remains Cog/VM/VM.rNNNN. Sorry for
the noise!

frank

> frank

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Paul DeBruicker
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2014, at 12:59 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> ...in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3000/
>
> CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.772/r3000
>
> Add libcrypto and libssl to Linux and Mac builds of the SqueakSSL plugin.
>

> That will make using the Altitude web framework much easier.

Providing they work... Any news?

--
best,
Eliot
The latest Seaside (3.1.1) and Grease (1.1.0) load fine and all tests pass.  I loaded it with this command:

(ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project version:'3.1.1') load: 'Tests'

with the configuration from

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main'
        user: ''
        password: ''

Profiling the tests gives:

Spur v3000: 9168ms

Squeak 4.5 all-in-one: 13102ms

Squeak 4.5 all-in-one image + Cog v3000 vm: 7782 msec.

Hope this helps

Paul

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Paul DeBruicker
That Squeak 4.5 all-in-onr number is a little high.  I re-ran it several times and its now closer to 10s, e.g. 10281ms

Paul DeBruicker wrote
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote

Paul

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Paul,

re:

> Spur v3000: 9168ms
>
> Squeak 4.5 all-in-one: 13102ms
>
> Squeak 4.5 all-in-one image + Cog v3000 vm: 7782 msec.

What platform are you on?
Did you have a web browser open when you ran the timings?
And if you did, if you close that browser and rerun do you get different timings?

I say this because using Spur for the Newspeak bootstrap I see Spur being twice as fast as Cog when there's no web browser open, but running at essentially the same speed if there is my usual browser open (which has ~ 30 tabs open and in that state is a cycle hog).  I'm concerned that Spur may need to manage its priority and/or i/o rate to obtain the potential performance, which would be a real drag.

best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Eliot,

That was on a Mac, with Mavericks.  I did have Chrome open with about 7 tabs.   Closing the browser and rerunning the tests had no noticeable impact on the outcome.  To get the timings I just used the Test Runner's "Run Profiled" command and selected every test loaded by Seaside.

On Windows 7 the Spur v3000 vm loads Seaside and runs the tests with no problems.

But I  can't give you a comparison because I'm getting the attached crash.dmp file when attempting to load the ConfigurationOfSeaside3 using the Cog v3000 vm

I'll try it on ubuntu now and report back in a bit.

crash.dmp

Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
Hi Paul,

re:

best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Eliot,

On Ubunutu 13.10, All Seaside 3.1.1 & Grease 1.1.0 tests, no browser open

Spur v3000:  11445ms

Cog v3000:   9675ms

On every platform so far the profiler output just shows that they both spend most of their time updating the progress bar the test runner displays.

Hope this helps and let me know what else you want to see.

Paul

Paul DeBruicker wrote

best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs available

Paul DeBruicker
Oh and that was with the  coglinuxht and cogspurlinuxht  vms if it wasn't apparent.