new *authorName* protocol

Dale Henrichs
Nick,

You recently added authorName support to Seaside-Welcome:

Name: Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.31
Author: NickAger
Time: 6 November 2010, 7:08:27 pm
UUID: 49597167-15a0-4987-871e-ef619947be74
Ancestors: Seaside-Welcome-lr.30

Name: Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.32
Author: NickAger
Time: 8 November 2010, 12:44:38 pm
UUID: 4d1d026a-112e-495e-9b14-10818877cffb
Ancestors: Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.31

However in doing so you have created a platform-specific version of the
Seaside-Welcome package. The implementation provided doesn't work in
Squeak4.1 or GemStone.

If you want to include platform authorName support, I think that we need
to add 3 more packages:

   Seaside-Pharo-Welcome
   Seaside-Squeak-Welcome
   Seaside-GemStone-Welcome

Each with the platform-specific implementation of:

   seasideIsAuthorNameSet
   seasideSetAuthorName:

It's possibly that a fourth for Pharo1.0 (and possibly a fifth for
Pharo1.1) might be needed. The protocol for setting/detecting authorname
has been in flux and has changed with nearly each release of Pharo:)

I'm working in this area right now (I noticed the problem when running
the tests on Squeak4.1) and can add the packages.

I'll work on a few other things before getting around to this, so if you
intend to change your approach let me know..

Dale

Re: new *authorName* protocol

Tobias Pape
Hi,
Am 2010-11-08 um 22:32 schrieb Dale Henrichs:

> If you want to include platform authorName support, I think that we need to add 3 more packages:
>
>  Seaside-Pharo-Welcome
>  Seaside-Squeak-Welcome
>  Seaside-GemStone-Welcome
>
> Each with the platform-specific implementation of:
>
>  seasideIsAuthorNameSet
>  seasideSetAuthorName:
>
> It's possibly that a fourth for Pharo1.0 (and possibly a fifth for Pharo1.1) might be needed. The protocol for setting/detecting authorname has been in flux and has changed with nearly each release of Pharo:)
>
> I'm working in this area right now (I noticed the problem when running the tests on Squeak4.1) and can add the packages.
>
> I'll work on a few other things before getting around to this, so if you intend to change your approach let me know..

I'd opt for including authorName (or authorIntials or authorIdentification (which
this all seems to be about) or however named…) directly in Grease, not as part as
an extension in the Welcome package. I'm sure one can make good use of this
in various development scenarios.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: new *authorName* protocol

Nick
Hi Dale,

Author: NickAger
Time: 8 November 2010, 12:44:38 pm
UUID: 4d1d026a-112e-495e-9b14-10818877cffb
Ancestors: Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.31

However in doing so you have created a platform-specific version of the Seaside-Welcome package. The implementation provided doesn't work in Squeak4.1 or GemStone.

If you want to include platform authorName support, I think that we need to add 3 more packages:

 Seaside-Pharo-Welcome
 Seaside-Squeak-Welcome
 Seaside-GemStone-Welcome

Each with the platform-specific implementation of:

 seasideIsAuthorNameSet
 seasideSetAuthorName:

Apologies - SqueakSource appears to be down, so I've attached a modified Seaside-Welcome package and a new Seaside-Pharo-Welcome.
I might as well create a Gemstone and Squeak version too - give me a few minutes.

Nick

Seaside-Pharo-Welcome-NickAger.1.mcz (1K) Download Attachment
Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.33.mcz (69K) Download Attachment

Re: new *authorName* protocol

Dale Henrichs
On 11/08/2010 03:15 PM, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>

>     You recently added authorName support to Seaside-Welcome:
>

> Apologies - SqueakSource appears to be down, so I've attached a modified
> Seaside-Welcome package and a new Seaside-Pharo-Welcome.
> I might as well create a Gemstone and Squeak version too - give me a few
> minutes.

Not a problem! I'm suffering from SqueakSource being down as well ...
and right now I have to head out to babysit some grand kids so no hurry:)

Dale

Re: new *authorName* protocol

Nick
Hi Dale,

Whoops please disregard the attachments in my previous email, with squeaksource down I confused myself and managed to miss a bug fix I put in today.

I've attached the following:

Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.34.mcz - removes the Pharo specific Welcome extensions
Seaside-Pharo-Welcome- NickAger.2.mcz - contains the Pharo specific extension for Welcome
Seaside-Squeak-Welcome-NickAger.1.mcz - contains Squeak specific extensions for Welcome

The Squeak Welcome package extends GRPharoPlatform as the Squeak image I downloaded doesn't appear to contain a Grease-Squeak-Core. Has one been created?

I tried to create a Seaside-Gemstone-Welcome package, but wasn't able to create a package just containing extension methods. FYI my Gemstone version simply added a single extension method (protocol: *seaside-gemstone-welcome)

GRGemStonePlatform>>seasideIsAuthorNameSet
^ true

... this assumes that Gemstone doesn't an author name concept.

Hope that makes sense

Nick

Seaside-Welcome-NickAger.34.mcz (69K) Download Attachment
Seaside-Pharo-Welcome-NickAger.2.mcz (1K) Download Attachment
Seaside-Squeak-Welcome-NickAger.1.mcz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: new *authorName* protocol

Julian Fitzell-2
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd opt for including authorName (or authorIntials or authorIdentification (which
> this all seems to be about) or however named…) directly in Grease, not as part as
> an extension in the Welcome package. I'm sure one can make good use of this
> in various development scenarios.

There was discussion about this on the list a few days ago. I'm not
generally in favour of adding stuff to the main Grease packages just
because they "might be useful". Once things are added, they're much
more difficult to remove. More importantly, in a case like this where
the concept doesn't even exist in many Smalltalks, I'm not even sure
this interface is the right approach. By extending Grease from the
relevant package, we can solve a specific problem now and test whether
it's a good general solution over time.

Julian

Re: new *authorName* protocol

Dale Henrichs