new linux install confused!

macroron
Hello,

I'm new to linux, programming, and computers. I have tried to download
and install the Squeak 3.8 rpm packages from this page:

Unix Squeak:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/

These are the Packages:

Squeak-vm-3.8a-1.i386.rpm

Squeak-image-3.8g-6548.noarch.rpm

Squeak-sources-3-1.noarch.rpm

But I keep getting this message:

[root@corefive ron]# squeak

Could not open the Squeak image file `squeak.image'.

There are three ways to open a Squeak image file.  You can:
  1. Put copies of the default image and changes files in this directory.
  2. Put the name of the image file on the command line when you
     run squeak (use the `-help' option for more information).
  3. Set the environment variable SQUEAK_IMAGE to the name of the image
     that you want to use by default.

For more information, type: `man squeak' (without the quote characters).

[root@corefive ron]#

I'm confused on what to do next. Here are how the files look after
downloading and installing the three packages:

[root@corefive ron]# locate squeak

/home/ron/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/squeak.desktop
/home/ron/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/squeak[2].desktop
/home/ron/Desktop/squeak
/usr/bin/inisqueak
/usr/bin/squeak
/usr/doc/squeak
/usr/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
/usr/lib/squeak
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1
/usr/lib/squeak/Squeak3.8g-6548.changes.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/Squeak3.8g-6548.image.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/SqueakV3.sources
/usr/lib/squeak/inisqueak
/usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
/usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakrun
/usr/lib/squeak/squeak.changes.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/squeak.image.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/Squeak3D
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/SqueakFFIPrims
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/npsqueak.so
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/squeak
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-X11
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-fbdev
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-null
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-OSS
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-null
/usr/local/doc/squeak
/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING
/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
/usr/local/man/man1/inisqueak.1
/usr/local/man/man1/squeak.1
/usr/man/man1/inisqueak.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/squeak.1.gz
/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-squeak.png
/var/cache/man/local/cat1/squeak.1.bz2

[root@corefive ron]#

I haven't modified anything. Can someone help me?

Thank you,

-ron-

Re: new linux install confused!

Alain Plantec
ron a écrit :

>Hello,

hello

>I'm new to linux,

wellcome,
executable named "squeak" is the interpreter. In order to launch squeak
UI, you have to provide an image
or to launch squeak in a directory where squeak.image and squeak.changes
are stored.
squeak.image, or x.image contains all the system (all objects, including
your own classes and instances).
squeak.changes or x.changes contains all system changes and is
automatically updated while you are programming.

In order to simply install all you need, first try inisqueak:
mkdir squeak_test;
cd squeak_test;
inisqueak;

here, into squeak_test directory, you have squeak.image and squeak.changes.
that's all.

alain

> [...]
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/npsqueak.so
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/squeak
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-X11
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-fbdev
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-null
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-OSS
>/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-null
>/usr/local/doc/squeak
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
>/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
>/usr/local/man/man1/inisqueak.1
>/usr/local/man/man1/squeak.1
>/usr/man/man1/inisqueak.1.gz
>/usr/man/man1/squeak.1.gz
>/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-squeak.png
>/var/cache/man/local/cat1/squeak.1.bz2
>
>[root@corefive ron]#
>
>I haven't modified anything. Can someone help me?

David T. Lewis
Hi Ron,

I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but the first and most important
thing I can tell you is that you should not run things like this (Squeak
or anything else) from the "root" user account. If you have not already
done so, set yourself up with a user account (user ID "ron" or whatever),
and use that for everything except the few tasks that truly require root
access. Linux (or any unix system) will protect you from a lot of problems
if you take a few minutes to do this, and most things will work just fine
once you are running them from a regular user account.

Once you have done that, put the squeak image and changes files in your
own directory, and do something more or less like this:

   $ squeak mysqueakimage

The actual error message you are getting means that Squeak cannot locate
its image and changes files (these might be, for example, "squeak.image"
and "squeak.changes", located in your current working directory). Usually
this just means that you need to tell it the name of the image file
("mysqueakimage.image" or whatever). The default is for Squeak to look
for an image file called "squeak.image" along with a matching "squeak.changes"
file in your current working directory (whatever directory you are in when
you run the "squeak" command).

Once more for emphasis: Do *not* run Squeak or anything else from your
root account. Set up a user account called e.g. "ron" and use it for
everything that does not specifically require root access.

HTH,

Dave

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 01:35:17PM -0400, ron wrote:

> [...]
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/npsqueak.so
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/squeak
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-X11
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-fbdev
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-null
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-OSS
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-null
> /usr/local/doc/squeak
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
> /usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
> /usr/local/man/man1/inisqueak.1
> /usr/local/man/man1/squeak.1
> /usr/man/man1/inisqueak.1.gz
> /usr/man/man1/squeak.1.gz
> /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-squeak.png
> /var/cache/man/local/cat1/squeak.1.bz2
>
> [root@corefive ron]#
>
> I haven't modified anything. Can someone help me?

stéphane ducasse-2
Would it be possible to get a description of how to install and run
squeak on each platform and put it on the web page?

Stef

On 22 avr. 06, at 03:21, David T. Lewis wrote:

> [...]
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/npsqueak.so
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/squeak
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-X11
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-fbdev
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-null
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-OSS
>> /usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-null
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
>> /usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
>> /usr/local/man/man1/inisqueak.1
>> /usr/local/man/man1/squeak.1
>> /usr/man/man1/inisqueak.1.gz
>> /usr/man/man1/squeak.1.gz
>> /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-squeak.png
>> /var/cache/man/local/cat1/squeak.1.bz2
>>
>> [root@corefive ron]#
>>
>> I haven't modified anything. Can someone help me?

Serge Stinckwich-4
stéphane ducasse a écrit :
> Would it be possible to get a description of how to install and run
> squeak on each platform and put it on the web page?

We already have this information in our french-speaking wiki :

http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Astuces_Squeak
with the 3 main platforms (PC, Mac, Linux).

Look here if you want to look at all the great activity in the french
Squeak/Smalltalk community : http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Squeak

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:20:47 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Would it be possible to get a description of how to install and run
> squeak on each platform and put it on the web page?

> Stef

On 22 avr. 06, at 03:21, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but the first and most
> important
> thing I can tell you is that you should not run things like this
> (Squeak
> or anything else) from the "root" user account. If you have not
> already
> done so, set yourself up with a user account (user ID "ron" or
> whatever),
> and use that for everything except the few tasks that truly require
> root
> access. Linux (or any unix system) will protect you from a lot of
> problems
> if you take a few minutes to do this, and most things will work
> just fine
> once you are running them from a regular user account.
>
> Once you have done that, put the squeak image and changes files in
> your
> own directory, and do something more or less like this:
>
>    $ squeak mysqueakimage
>
> The actual error message you are getting means that Squeak cannot
> locate
> its image and changes files (these might be, for example,
> "squeak.image"
> and "squeak.changes", located in your current working directory).
> Usually
> this just means that you need to tell it the name of the image file
> ("mysqueakimage.image" or whatever). The default is for Squeak to look
> for an image file called "squeak.image" along with a matching
> "squeak.changes"
> file in your current working directory (whatever directory you are
> in when
> you run the "squeak" command).
>
> Once more for emphasis: Do *not* run Squeak or anything else from your
> root account. Set up a user account called e.g. "ron" and use it for
> everything that does not specifically require root access.
>
> HTH,
>
> Dave
Success,

I followed the directions in section: "2.2. Manual Installation" on this page :

http://squeakvm.org/unix/download.html

Here is how my files are set up:

/home/ron/bin/squeak (a shell script) :

#!/bin/sh
SQUEAK_PLUGINS=$HOME/lib/squeak/squeak-3.9-4
export SQUEAK_PLUGINS
exec $SQUEAK_PLUGINS/squeak

home/ron/lib/squeak (the sources file) :

SqueakV3.sources

/home/ron/lib/squeak/squeak-3.9-4 (the plugins including the vm) :

B3DAcceleratorPlugin  UnixOSProcessPlugin  vm-sound-null
npsqueak.so           vm-display-fbdev     vm-sound-OSS
PseudoTTYPlugin       vm-display-null      XDisplayControlPlugin
squeak                vm-display-X11

/home/ron/squeak (the changes, image files, and a symbolic link to
SqueakV3.sources) :

package-cache  squeak.changes  SqueakDebug.log  squeak.image
SqueakV3.sources (a symbolic link that points to
home/ron/lib/squeak/SqueakV3.sources)

I had to set my work path In the KDE Menu Editor  to:

/home/ron/squeak

in order to run squeak.

I would like to be able to run squeak from the command line. But it
only works if I am in:

/home/ron/squeak

If any one has any suggestions or improvments I would appreciate it.

Linux 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp

i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

fedora core 5

-ron-

Re: new linux install confused!

Damien Cassou-3
It seems all is configured properly. Things you can do if you only want
to work on a single image (we often have different images for different
purposes: development, testing new images...) is to write a simple
script like this one:

/home/ron/bin/squeak.sh:

#! /bin/sh
cd ~/squeak
exec squeak squeak.image

chmod +x /home/ron/bin/squeak.sh

Now, you just have to type 'squeak.sh' where you want and squeak will be
launched.

Another thing you can do is to link .image extension to squeak in you
favorite file system navigator. Then you will be able to just click on
an image and squeak will be launched.

--
Damien Cassou

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:19:55AM -0400, ron wrote:
> I would like to be able to run squeak from the command line. But it
> only works if I am in:
>
> /home/ron/squeak
>
> If any one has any suggestions or improvments I would appreciate it.

You can install the VM that you built by running:

  # make install

Building the VM and running Squeak should be done under your normal
user ID ("ron"). In order to do the install, you will need to be
root when you run the "make install" (use the "su" command, or perhaps
"sudo make install" if your Linux system is set up to let you do that).

This will set up the VM and plugins in /usr/local/bin/squeak and
/usr/local/lib/squeak/, and you will then be able to run Squeak from
the command line in any directory.

You will also want to make a directory in your file space, such
as perhaps "/home/ron/mysqueakfiles". Put your image and changes
files along with a copy of the sources file into this directory,
and use this directory when you run your Squeak image.

Make one more directory, say "/home/ron/mysqueakfiles/backups".
Every once in a while, save a backup copy of your working image
and changes files in the backups directory. This will help you
out if you accidentally mess up your image while you are learning
about Squeak.

Dave

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:34:58 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> It seems all is configured properly.
> Things you can do if you only want
> to work on a single image (we often have
> different images for different
> purposes: development, testing new
> images...) is to write a simple
> script like this one:
>
> /home/ron/bin/squeak.sh:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> cd ~/squeak
> exec squeak squeak.image
>
> chmod +x /home/ron/bin/squeak.sh
>
> Now, you just have to type 'squeak.sh'
> where you want and squeak will be
> launched.
>
> Another thing you can do is to link
> .image extension to squeak in you
> favorite file system navigator. Then you
> will be able to just click on
> an image and squeak will be launched.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> ---
Thank You,

Damien, everyone,

This shell script works for me in:

  /home/ron/bin/

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/squeak
SQUEAK_PLUGINS=$HOME/lib/squeak/squeak-3.9-4
export SQUEAK_PLUGINS
exec $SQUEAK_PLUGINS/squeak squeak.image

I was surprised to see a blank initial screen on first boot. I did an
update and noticed alot of packages were downloaded. Can you suggest a
tutorial or demos that give an overview of squeak and explain all the
new terms I'm already reading about on this list.

-ron-