[newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

123

[newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Alex Schenkman
I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.

Thanks!

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.

You can't. Do you misss that feature?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [Pharo-project] [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Alex Schenkman
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45, Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.

You can't. Do you misss that feature?

Yes I do.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

cedreek
I think this is a valuable feature.

Should we save in a particular file extension (.wst ? or simply text files ?) so that we can also have load opening from a a list of files of that format. This would be nice for tutorials instead of saving workspace content in a method.

Cédrick

2009/12/16 alesch <[hidden email]>
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45, Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.

You can't. Do you misss that feature?

Yes I do.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Stéphane Ducasse
for me it was political/educational to remove it.

I saw too many people having expressions in workspace and not in class methods (not versioned with the code).
because if this is really important why not put it in a class method?
Then you load the code and of course you do not get the magic example beacuse they were in the wonderfull scripts left in the other
images.....

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> I think this is a valuable feature.
>
> Should we save in a particular file extension (.wst ? or simply text files ?) so that we can also have load opening from a a list of files of that format. This would be nice for tutorials instead of saving workspace content in a method.
>
> Cédrick
>
> 2009/12/16 alesch <[hidden email]>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45, Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.
>
> You can't. Do you misss that feature?
>
> Yes I do.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

ramiro.diaz.trepat
I really miss that feature.
In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
Cheers

for me it was political/educational to remove it.

I saw too many people having expressions in workspace and not in class methods (not versioned with the code).
because if this is really important why not put it in a class method?
Then you load the code and of course you do not get the magic example beacuse they were in the wonderfull scripts left in the other
images.....

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> I think this is a valuable feature.
>
> Should we save in a particular file extension (.wst ? or simply text files ?) so that we can also have load opening from a a list of files of that format. This would be nice for tutorials instead of saving workspace content in a method.
>
> Cédrick
>
> 2009/12/16 alesch <[hidden email]>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45, Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.
>
> You can't. Do you misss that feature?
>
> Yes I do.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I also miss the ready ability to save a workspace.  With respect, it is not your place to dictate working methods.  You are correct that one can easily over-use workspaces and under-use class methods.  However, one can also over-use class methods when a new test case is more appropriate.

Rather than removing basic features, we should add capabilities to encourage good practice by making things as easy as possible.  Dolphin's IDE extensions are a nice feature that I *really* miss in Pharo.  One thing I added is a way to create test case methods based on a currently selected method.  Each class can specify a TestCase subclass, and the methods were automatically named based on the selected method's name; the code is generated and proposed for optional compiling with warning of conflicts.

Bill

In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.

for me it was political/educational to remove it.

I saw too many people having expressions in workspace and not in class methods (not versioned with the code).
because if this is really important why not put it in a class method?
Then you load the code and of course you do not get the magic example beacuse they were in the wonderfull scripts left in the other images.....

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> I think this is a valuable feature.
>
> Should we save in a particular file extension (.wst ? or simply text files ?) so that we can also have load opening from a a list of files of that format. This would be nice for tutorials instead of saving workspace content in a method.
>
> Cédrick
>
> 2009/12/16 alesch <[hidden email]> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45,
> Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.
>
> You can't. Do you misss that feature?
>
> Yes I do.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Igor Stasenko
2009/12/16 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> I really miss that feature.
> In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
> Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
> Cheers

What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2009/12/16 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> I really miss that feature.
> In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
> Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
> Cheers

What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

Or use the File Browser, that's why it's there, even though it's a bit
broken in pharo.

Levente

keith1y

On 16 Dec 2009, at 16:21, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Igor Stasenko wrote:

2009/12/16 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
I really miss that feature.
In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
Cheers

What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

Or use the File Browser, that's why it's there, even though it's a bit
broken in pharo.

Levente

A fix for this was posted to Mantis for Squeak 3.10 (search for workspace), allowing save, and revert. The workspace is able to mirror a text file and respond to cmd-S to save to the file.

Keith

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Nothing prevents copy/paste/save (though there are line-end weirdnesses to consider), but why should one have to do that?

2009/12/16 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> I really miss that feature.
> In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
> Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
> Cheers

What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

So send it back and we will integrate it.
No problem. But really you should use class side methods and versioned these damned scripts.

Stef

> Stef,
>
> I also miss the ready ability to save a workspace.  With respect, it is not your place to dictate working methods.  You are correct that one can easily over-use workspaces and under-use class methods.  However, one can also over-use class methods when a new test case is more appropriate.
>
> Rather than removing basic features, we should add capabilities to encourage good practice by making things as easy as possible.  Dolphin's IDE extensions are a nice feature that I *really* miss in Pharo.  One thing I added is a way to create test case methods based on a currently selected method.  Each class can specify a TestCase subclass, and the methods were automatically named based on the selected method's name; the code is generated and proposed for optional compiling with warning of conflicts.
>
> Bill

Hi levente

> What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
> text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

> Or use the File Browser, that's why it's there, even though it's a bit
> broken in pharo.

can you explain what is broken?
=> open a bug entry

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

No argument, and thanks!

Bill

So send it back and we will integrate it.
No problem. But really you should use class side methods and versioned these damned scripts.

Stef

> Stef,
>
> I also miss the ready ability to save a workspace.  With respect, it is not your place to dictate working methods.  You are correct that one can easily over-use workspaces and under-use class methods.  However, one can also over-use class methods when a new test case is more appropriate.
>
> Rather than removing basic features, we should add capabilities to encourage good practice by making things as easy as possible.  Dolphin's IDE extensions are a nice feature that I *really* miss in Pharo.  One thing I added is a way to create test case methods based on a currently selected method.  Each class can specify a TestCase subclass, and the methods were automatically named based on the selected method's name; the code is generated and proposed for optional compiling with warning of conflicts.
>
> Bill

send code :)

Stef

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi levente
>

>> What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
>> text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

>> Or use the File Browser, that's why it's there, even though it's a bit
>> broken in pharo.
>
> can you explain what is broken?
> => open a bug entry
For example: right click on a text file in the upper right panel, the
first 3 menuitems are the same "compress file".
(And I'm  missing the zip viewer which was super cool IMO)

Levente

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Stéphane Ducasse

Thanks for reporting it. Now I tried to reproduce it and I get that.

Can you show what you get?
I'm on 1.1-11104

> For example: right click on a text file in the upper right panel, the first 3 menuitems are the same "compress file".
> (And I'm  missing the zip viewer which was super cool IMO)

But I thought that we kept the archiveViewer.
We should not lose it since I was good.

Stef

> Levente

Squeak VM ScreenSnapz001.pdf (14K) Download Attachment

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

I tried to open a zip file and I do not get a proposal to open the archive viewer.
When I use decompress file I get a GZIP....error telling me that this is not a zipped stream
Funny

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?thanks=1618

File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Levente Uzonyi-2
Quoting Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Can you show what you get?

Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image.
(Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't
see it, because it's a windows machine...)

Levente

pharofilebrowser.png (22K) Download Attachment

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks this is really strange.
I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch.
Can you enter a bug entry ?

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Quoting Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Can you show what you get?
>>

> Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image. (Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see it, because it's a windows machine...)

> Pharo-project mailing list

123