next steps for pharo.

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I'm brainstorming on what should be our next important actions.
My gut feeling is that I would love
        - to get more class comments and documentation.
        - get a list of working packages for development expanding the list of packages available from: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools
        - get metacello repositories up and running and start to get certified packages.
How can we all make sure that this happens?

Re: next steps for pharo.

csrabak
Em 03/01/2011 15:01, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> Hi guys
>  I'm brainstorming on what should be our next important actions.  My
> gut feeling is that I would love
> - to get more class comments and documentation.

I'm all for it.  We need to increase the actual and perceived quality
of our work.

> - get a list of working packages for development expanding the list
    of packages available from:
    http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools

> - get metacello repositories  up and running and start  to get
>   certified packages.

I'm not keeping up with the overwhelming stream of messages in this
list and probably may be missing the kernel of it, but just in case:
do we have already a certification process for packages?

> How can we all make sure that this happens?

All of it, it depends on the time frame ;-) IMHO I think priority zero
is class comments and documentation and second the certification
process.

Attempting to answer the "how" part of the question, I surmise we will
keep the discussion on the comments and documentation in the next IRC
meeting?

I see this as THE most important 'cultural' change we all need to undergo
because  of all collaborations we can envisage, writing documentation (or
comments) for someone else code is the less efficient way of doing it.

Perhaps some form of 'pair commenting' via Skype/IM or IRC _before_ the code
is uploaded?

My 0.019999

Cesar Rabak

Re: next steps for pharo.

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jan 3, 2011, at 7:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Em 03/01/2011 15:01, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>
>> Hi guys
>> I'm brainstorming on what should be our next important actions.  My
>> gut feeling is that I would love
>> - to get more class comments and documentation.
>
> I'm all for it.  We need to increase the actual and perceived quality
> of our work.
>
>> - get a list of working packages for development expanding the list
>    of packages available from:
>    http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools
>
>> - get metacello repositories  up and running and start  to get
>>  certified packages.
>
> I'm not keeping up with the overwhelming stream of messages in this
> list and probably may be missing the kernel of it, but just in case:
> do we have already a certification process for packages?

no and now that hudson is working I would like to see what we can do
especially with metacello
        - % comment of
        - % of red tests

>> How can we all make sure that this happens?
>
> All of it, it depends on the time frame ;-) IMHO I think priority zero
> is class comments and documentation and second the certification
> process.
>
> Attempting to answer the "how" part of the question, I surmise we will
> keep the discussion on the comments and documentation in the next IRC
> meeting?

Yes

> I see this as THE most important 'cultural' change we all need to undergo
> because  of all collaborations we can envisage, writing documentation (or
> comments) for someone else code is the less efficient way of doing it.
>
> Perhaps some form of 'pair commenting' via Skype/IM or IRC _before_ the code
> is uploaded?

I do not know.
Now I try to systematically write comments. I would like to take some example like the soup package and
see how it goes.

Stef