next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 6, 2009 8:47:09 PM GMT+02:00
Subject: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
[hidden email].

From: stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
Date: October 6, 2009 8:47:04 PM GMT+02:00
To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>

Hi guys

I would like to know what are the important bugs or fixes to be integrated that cannot wait for 1.1.
And it would be nice to tag a release candidate (really soon now).

We get a pharo sprint the 17 and I would like to get a lot of the pending fixes integrated
since then and that people can kill some problems on 1.1

Re: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

Michael Roberts-2
i would mark the decompiler tests as 1.1. I would also mark the
debugger highlight bug as 1.1. I think these are going to take time.
then we have to review the sunits and see what is realistic to fix and
what is 'unknown'.  For everything we don't understand mark and
comment #expectedFailures.  what would be really helpful would be any
writeup on the issue tracker for analysis on sunit failures if folks
have time.

I would like to see a few process things discussed
-how we maintain 1.0 stable branch
-how we maintain 1.1 alpha. i.e do we try out some other package meta
system? that could be worth some hacking at the start of the cycle to
see the mechanism. It is not something to mess around with when we get
near beta.

cheers,
Mike

On Oct 6, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> i would mark the decompiler tests as 1.1. I would also mark the
> debugger highlight bug as 1.1. I think these are going to take time.
> then we have to review the sunits and see what is realistic to fix and
> what is 'unknown'.  For everything we don't understand mark and
> comment #expectedFailures.  what would be really helpful would be any
> writeup on the issue tracker for analysis on sunit failures if folks
> have time.

yes.

> I would like to see a few process things discussed
> -how we maintain 1.0 stable branch
        may be marking some important 1.1 fixes

> -how we maintain 1.1 alpha. i.e do we try out some other package meta
> system? that could be worth some hacking at the start of the cycle to
> see the mechanism. It is not something to mess around with when we get
> near beta.

true.
Metacello is nearly ready and I would like to play with it.
Moose/Mondrian/Glamour, Glass are using it.
I would like to see how it works with first the external packages of
core.
Because as soon as we really cut we will be in trouble.

Stef

> cheers,
> Mike
>
> 2009/10/6 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: October 6, 2009 8:47:09 PM GMT+02:00
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a
>> 1.1
>> alpha?
>>
>> You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message
>> has
>> been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
>> being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
>> [hidden email].
>>

>> From: stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Date: October 6, 2009 8:47:04 PM GMT+02:00
>> To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a
>> 1.1
>> alpha?
>>

>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to know what are the important bugs or fixes to be
>> integrated
>> that cannot wait for 1.1.
>> And it would be nice to tag a release candidate (really soon now).
>>
>> We get a pharo sprint the 17 and I would like to get a lot of the
>> pending
>> fixes integrated
>> since then and that people can kill some problems on 1.1
>>
>> Stef

Re: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

johnmci

On 2009-10-06, at 11:53 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> I would like to know what are the important bugs or fixes to be
>> integrated that cannot wait for 1.1.
>> And it would be nice to tag a release candidate (really soon now).

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=

Re: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Mike,

On Oct 6, 2009, at 22:36 , Michael Roberts wrote:

> i would mark the decompiler tests as 1.1. I would also mark the
> debugger highlight bug as 1.1. I think these are going to take time.

I agree. Do you want to update the tracker?

> then we have to review the sunits and see what is realistic to fix and
> what is 'unknown'.

I noticed that after the recent closure fixes there are a couple of
new failures and errors. For instance
AuthorTest>>#testDeprecatedSendsRemoved (I guess the reported senders
of a selector changed with some closure changes).

see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/BaselineTestResults

> For everything we don't understand mark and
> comment #expectedFailures.  what would be really helpful would be any
> writeup on the issue tracker for analysis on sunit failures if folks
> have time.

ok. I think we should seriously check the remaining errors/failures
before marking them.

> I would like to see a few process things discussed
> -how we maintain 1.0 stable branch
> -how we maintain 1.1 alpha. i.e do we try out some other package meta
> system? that could be worth some hacking at the start of the cycle to
> see the mechanism. It is not something to mess around with when we get
> near beta.

We can use the current update stream as the 1.0 stable branch and
create a new stream, maybe based on another mechanism, for 1.1 alpha.

I think we should get all tests green and the remaining issues fixed
before declaring a release candidate. There are also 3 OmniBrowser
issues in the list and I wonder whether somebody plans to fix them? If
we concentrate on these tasks in the next days and during the sprint,
I am sure we are able to get a reasonable RC1 within the next 14 days.

Cheers,
Adrian

> cheers,
> Mike
>
> 2009/10/6 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: October 6, 2009 8:47:09 PM GMT+02:00
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a
>> 1.1
>> alpha?
>>
>> You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message
>> has
>> been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
>> being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
>> [hidden email].
>>

>> From: stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Date: October 6, 2009 8:47:04 PM GMT+02:00
>> To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a
>> 1.1
>> alpha?
>>

>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to know what are the important bugs or fixes to be
>> integrated
>> that cannot wait for 1.1.
>> And it would be nice to tag a release candidate (really soon now).
>>
>> We get a pharo sprint the 17 and I would like to get a lot of the
>> pending
>> fixes integrated
>> since then and that people can kill some problems on 1.1
>>
>> Stef

Re: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

Stéphane Ducasse
apparently there is a bug in senders would be good to investigate that.

>> ok. I think we should seriously check the remaining errors/failures
> before marking them.
>
>> I would like to see a few process things discussed
>> -how we maintain 1.0 stable branch
>> -how we maintain 1.1 alpha. i.e do we try out some other package meta
>> system? that could be worth some hacking at the start of the cycle to
>> see the mechanism. It is not something to mess around with when we
>> get
>> near beta.
>
> We can use the current update stream as the 1.0 stable branch and
> create a new stream, maybe based on another mechanism, for 1.1 alpha.
>
> I think we should get all tests green and the remaining issues fixed
> before declaring a release candidate. There are also 3 OmniBrowser
> issues in the list and I wonder whether somebody plans to fix them? If
> we concentrate on these tasks in the next days and during the sprint,
> I am sure we are able to get a reasonable RC1 within the next 14 days.

ok but I would really like to integrate all the cool fixes of nicolas.
so this is why I was thinking about 1.1 alpha. too

Re: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

Adrian Lienhard

On Oct 7, 2009, at 09:23 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

[...]

> ok but I would really like to integrate all the cool fixes of nicolas.
> so this is why I was thinking about 1.1 alpha. too

Then we could open a new stream already now. We just have to take care
that we don't forget to finish 1.0! ;)
We also need to think about the process: if there is a fix we will
have to decide whether it is critical and hence also needs to go into
the maintenance stream of 1.0. So one fix suddenly needs to be
integrated twice...

Adrian

> Stef

Re: next steps... to we create a release candidate and open a 1.1 alpha?

Stéphane Ducasse
yes
this is why I'm holding the horses :)

now I think that we could have a release candidate soon and do not
wait for the sprint
and we can iterate.
the first things is to really go over the issues list and retag it.
stef

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> On Oct 6, 2009, at 22:36 , Michael Roberts wrote:
>
>> i would mark [...]
>
> I agree. Do you want to update the tracker?

i've updated the debugger highlight. i'll mark the decompiler tests
later in the week. they don't yet have a # i think.

> I noticed that after the recent closure fixes there are a couple of
> new failures and errors. For instance
> AuthorTest>>#testDeprecatedSendsRemoved (I guess the reported senders
> of a selector changed with some closure changes).
>
> see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/BaselineTestResults

yes, i saw and the recent thread. one of the things that is difficult
with merging eliot's changes is knowing what is intentional or not
between the pharo base and the change. it would be good if we could
comment or annotate key 'pharo fixes' (to the compiler & machinery) so
that it is obvious in a diff browser.  if we genuinely think we have a
fix then we can feed it back to eliot.  we are likely to want to take
compiler changes for sometime, presumably all the way to the JIT.

> ok. I think we should seriously check the remaining errors/failures
> before marking them.

yes i would like a serious review but of course it requires folks to
do it.  now you're back from your holiday ;-)...

the other thing i thought was a good candidate for 1.0 was the latest
MC patch stef posted. those semantics are vital, and look an increment
on previous changes we had taken to load the compiler. i just wanted
to test it before recommending.

cheers,
Mike