next sttep after the example tutorial

Roelof
Hello,

Is there a book / tutorial/ challenges that I can use to become a expert
in Pharo ?

Roelof

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

Peter Uhnak
Well for start there is this http://pharo.org/documentation (books Pharo By Example + Deep into Pharo + Pharo for the Enterprise) and this http://pharo.gemtalksystems.com/

As far as expertise goes you can probably become an expert by writing a book about Pharo. :)

Peter

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Is there a book / tutorial/ challenges that I can use to become a expert in Pharo ?

Roelof

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

Roelof
Thanks.

By expert I mean I can write and test most of the programms and know very well how pharo works.

Roelof

Peter Uhnák schreef op 7-11-2014 18:12:
Well for start there is this http://pharo.org/documentation (books Pharo By Example + Deep into Pharo + Pharo for the Enterprise) and this http://pharo.gemtalksystems.com/

As far as expertise goes you can probably become an expert by writing a book about Pharo. :)

Peter

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Is there a book / tutorial/ challenges that I can use to become a expert in Pharo ?

Roelof

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

kilon.alios
yes, read all the pharo documentation, read the entire pharo code, understand the entire pharo code, make a few hundrend pharo application and boom your are an expert :)

Seriously though, do whatever is interesting to you and ask questions here and in stackoverflow. You dont need to be expert , just someone that finds pharo enjoyable and useful.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks.

By expert I mean I can write and test most of the programms and know very well how pharo works.

Roelof

Peter Uhnák schreef op 7-11-2014 18:12:
Well for start there is this http://pharo.org/documentation (books Pharo By Example + Deep into Pharo + Pharo for the Enterprise) and this http://pharo.gemtalksystems.com/

As far as expertise goes you can probably become an expert by writing a book about Pharo. :)

Peter

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Is there a book / tutorial/ challenges that I can use to become a expert in Pharo ?

Roelof

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

Roelof
oke, are there books / tutorials I can do so I can understand better how smalltalk works.

I was thinking of making a calculator as my first project.

Roelof

kilon alios schreef op 7-11-2014 18:34:
[...]

Now that you mentioned calculator, have a look at this

But otherwise start with the book Pharo By Example... it should give you everything to get you started. You can download it here http://pharobyexample.org/

Peter

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Peter Uhnák wrote
Thanks for the reminder - it is a masterpiece!!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

Roelof
I did it and run into my first problem.

There is no method finder in the tools menu.

Roelof

Peter Uhnák schreef op 7-11-2014 19:21:
[...]

HilaireFernandes
Le 07/11/2014 19:45, Roelof Wobben a écrit :
> I did it and run into my first problem.
>
> There is no method finder in the tools menu.
>
> Roelof

If you are starting with the PharoByExample book, be sure to download
the dedicated Pharo image for this book (found in the pharobyexample
book). Recent Pharo image may have different menu, tools, etc.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

kilon.alios
start here

here a video tutorial series i created

you can skip first video "Why Pharo" the rest is practical tutorials.

if you got Pharo 3 or 4 , finder should be in the tools section of world menu.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I can see a choice finder but as far as I can see I cannot use it for modules.

Roelof

kilon alios schreef op 7-11-2014 21:21:
[...]

Sorry I mean a method.

Pharo version : 3.0
OS : Windows 7 Home
Image release : 30860

screenshot : http://snag.gy/ISMs7.jpg

Roelof

kilon alios schreef op 7-11-2014 22:08:
also whats a module ?

[...]

ok that top tool up there is finder , if you open it the first option for searching will be "selectors" , selectors are methods, if you did not know this I advise to read PBE since you need to have this basic understanding to use Pharo.

I have also began to port PBE to Pharo 3 because existing PBE is still for Pharo 1.4 , you can read it here --> http://kilon.gitbooks.io/pbe/

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stepharo

On 7/11/14 18:12, Peter Uhnák wrote:
> Well for start there is this http://pharo.org/documentation (books
> Pharo By Example + Deep into Pharo + Pharo for the Enterprise) and
> this http://pharo.gemtalksystems.com/
>
> As far as expertise goes you can probably become an expert by writing
> a book about Pharo. :)

:)
This is so true. When you force yourselves to be sure that other people
can understand something you have to deeply understand it.
stef

Re: next sttep after the example tutorial

jfabry

Roelof, I just want to say that I highly recommend that you read Kilon’s PBE chapters in the link that he includes in his mail. It will help you to get the basic knowledge that you need to be able to improve your Pharo knowledge. From your mails it seems to me that you still need to work on that, to get the fundamentals right (sorry if I am mistaken in that, I’m only human).

On Nov 8, 2014, at 9:06 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

ok that top tool up there is finder , if you open it the first option for searching will be "selectors" , selectors are methods, if you did not know this I advise to read PBE since you need to have this basic understanding to use Pharo.

I have also began to port PBE to Pharo 3 because existing PBE is still for Pharo 1.4 , you can read it here --> http://kilon.gitbooks.io/pbe/

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Sorry I mean a method.

Pharo version : 3.0
OS : Windows 7 Home
Image release : 30860

screenshot : http://snag.gy/ISMs7.jpg

Roelof

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile