nice story for next generation debugger

stephane ducasse
Hi

I have a quite fun bug.
I load some code and suddenly the packageOrganizer is wiped out and contains worng information.
I checked checked checked no success so far and I would love to have something to say notify me when any change
happen to the dictionary of packageOrganizer.

Re: nice story for next generation debugger

Igor Stasenko
On 19 May 2010 23:52, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a quite fun bug.
> I load some code and suddenly the packageOrganizer is wiped out and contains worng information.
> I checked checked checked no success so far and I would love to have something to say notify me when any change
> happen to the dictionary of packageOrganizer.

I has similar thoughts about tracking the object's changes.
It could possibly done by replacing a reference to an object by proxy,
which intercepts all messages sent to it
and then, sending the same message to wrapped object,
and after that, compares a object's contents with its hollow copy
(which made beforehead).
Then , if change is detected - notify a listener.

So, this is quite easy to implement.. but integrating it into a
debugger is a lil bit another story :)

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: nice story for next generation debugger

Lukas Renggli
On 19 May 2010 23:34, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 May 2010 23:52, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a quite fun bug.
>> I load some code and suddenly the packageOrganizer is wiped out and contains worng information.
>> I checked checked checked no success so far and I would love to have something to say notify me when any change
>> happen to the dictionary of packageOrganizer.
>>
> I has similar thoughts about tracking the object's changes.
> It could possibly done by replacing a reference to an object by proxy,
> which intercepts all messages sent to it
> and then, sending the same message to wrapped object,
> and after that, compares a object's contents with its hollow copy
> (which made beforehead).
> Then , if change is detected - notify a listener.
>
> So, this is quite easy to implement.. but integrating it into a
> debugger is a lil bit another story :)

The proxy gives problems with identity, but indeed change tracking is
solvable as in <http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Reng08aTransMemory.pdf>.

I guess what Stef wants is more something like
<http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Lien09aCompass.pdf>.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli