no Complex class in Pharo?

LawsonEnglish
Was this done just for streamlining, or are there known bugs in the
implementation of Complex in Squeak?

L.

Re: no Complex class in Pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 24, 2012, at 8:20 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Was this done just for streamlining, or are there known bugs in the implementation of Complex in Squeak?

no there were a lot of discussions three years ago about the fact that
        nobody used complex
        the implementation was not coherent
Now I think that serge packaged it with its quaternium implementation.

Stef

> L.

Re: no Complex class in Pharo?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

One thing that must not happen is "automatic" use of complex numbers.   Things like -1 sqrt should raise an error.  If one wants a complex result, then -1 asComplex sqrt would be a nice choice.  That way, one can choose whether or not complex numbers are viable - many times, they are not wanted.

Bill

On Mar 24, 2012, at 8:20 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Was this done just for streamlining, or are there known bugs in the implementation of Complex in Squeak?

no there were a lot of discussions three years ago about the fact that
        nobody used complex
        the implementation was not coherent
Now I think that serge packaged it with its quaternium implementation.

Stef

> L.

Re: no Complex class in Pharo?

Nicolas Cellier
http://www.squeaksource.com/Math-Complex

Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfComplex';
     load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfComplex) project version: #'stable') perform: #load.

Nicolas

Le 24 mars 2012 21:29, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Mar 24, 2012, at 8:20 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Was this done just for streamlining, or are there known bugs in the implementation of Complex in Squeak?

no there were a lot of discussions three years ago about the fact that
       nobody used complex
       the implementation was not coherent
Now I think that serge packaged it with its quaternium implementation.

Stef

> L.

Re: no Complex class in Pharo?

Nicolas Cellier