(no subject)

12

(no subject)

vityou
I recently discovered the pharo launcher.  However, it only gives me options to use outdated images, and I'm not sure about the vm.  Is there any way to change this?

Re: (no subject)

Guillermo Polito

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Vityou . <[hidden email]> wrote:
I recently discovered the pharo launcher.  However, it only gives me options to use outdated images, and I'm not sure about the vm.  Is there any way to change this?

Usually it will download the right vm for your image so you don't have to care.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: (no subject)

Stephane Ducasse-3
Christophe did a pass because he faced the same problem and he
improved the situation.
Now he left on vacation (and was stopped because of a huge jenkins
crash because he left) and I do not know
the status. (because we are also annoyed and sorry than you by the situation).

Stef

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Vityou . <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I recently discovered the pharo launcher.  However, it only gives me options
> to use outdated images, and I'm not sure about the vm.  Is there any way to
> change this?

Re: (no subject)

demarey

I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to run Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded automatically if the adequate one is not available.
Let us know if everything is fine.

Regards,
Christophe

I recently discovered the pharo launcher.  However, it only gives me options to use outdated images, and I'm not sure about the vm.  Is there any way to change this?

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 14-09-17 14:25, Christophe Demarey wrote:
> I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to
> run Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here:
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
> It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded
> automatically if the adequate one is not available.
> Let us know if everything is fine.

- not downloading the sources;
- sources now need to be next to the image;
- when you upgrade the vm, you need to replace all those sources files
- default now dark theme, and not easy to switch
- icons only shown on hover

(Ubuntu 16.10LTS)

Stephan

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
  On 14-09-17 14:25, Christophe Demarey wrote:
> Let us know if everything is fine.

Downloaded latest 7 64:
Cannot open iceberg, libgit2 can not be found

Stephan

Re: (no subject)

SergeStinckwich

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to run Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded automatically if the adequate one is not available.
Let us know if everything is fine.

​Hi Christophe,

thank you for your support on PharoLauncher !
​I dl the last version for Mac OS X: Pharo_0.2.13.dmg
This is really nice to be able to download the VM depending on the VM.

I have only two issues:
- some icons do no show up when PharoLauncher is launch. They only appear when on mouse hover.
- for some of my images, I have an error: Instances of UndefinedObject are not indexable.

Thank you.
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 14-09-17 14:25, Christophe Demarey wrote:
> automatically if the adequate one is not available.
> Let us know if everything is fine.

Because it is not so easy to determine what Pharo7 image version to
actually try, I noticed that there is at least one 6521 image that is
tried to be opened with a newer (32 bit) vm.

Stephan

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 14-09-17 14:49, stephan wrote:
> - when you upgrade the vm, you need to replace all those sources files

Nope, my mistake

Re: (no subject)

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks christophe this is super cool to see some efforts on that cool tool.

Stef

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to run
> Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here:
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
> It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded
> automatically if the adequate one is not available.
> Let us know if everything is fine.
>
> Regards,
> Christophe
>

> ________________________________

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 14-09-17 18:47, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Thanks christophe this is super cool to see some efforts on that cool tool.

+1

Definitely don't let my observations distract you from improving it.

Thanks,
   Stephan

Re: (no subject)

demarey
Hi Serge,

Le 14 sept. 2017 à 14:59, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to run Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded automatically if the adequate one is not available.
Let us know if everything is fine.

​Hi Christophe,

thank you for your support on PharoLauncher !
​I dl the last version for Mac OS X: Pharo_0.2.13.dmg
This is really nice to be able to download the VM depending on the VM.

Yes. without that feature, the launcher started to be useless.

I have only two issues:
- some icons do no show up when PharoLauncher is launch. They only appear when on mouse hover.

yes, a regression in Pharo 6 :(

- for some of my images, I have an error: Instances of UndefinedObject are not indexable.

Could you send me the stacktrace and / or the images if possible?

Re: (no subject)

demarey
Hi Stephan,

> Le 14 sept. 2017 à 14:49, stephan <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 14-09-17 14:25, Christophe Demarey wrote:
>> I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to run Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>> It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded automatically if the adequate one is not available.
>> Let us know if everything is fine.
>
> - not downloading the sources;

What do you mean?
For Pharo images < 70, sources file for the current version and the previous version are downloaded with the VM.

> - sources now need to be next to the image;

For Pharo 7 images, no sources file are dowloaded since they come with the image.

> - when you upgrade the vm, you need to replace all those sources files
> - default now dark theme, and not easy to switch

I think default theme for the Launcher should be the same as the Pharo theme.
Would a (Launcher) preference help?

> - icons only shown on hover

yes, Pharo 6 regression.
I had the problem on other UIs. Will see if I can find a fix quickly.

Re: (no subject)

demarey

> Le 14 sept. 2017 à 14:55, stephan <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 14-09-17 14:25, Christophe Demarey wrote:
>> Let us know if everything is fine.
>
> Downloaded latest 7 64:
> Cannot open iceberg, libgit2 can not be found

Thanks for the report.
I will check that

Re: (no subject)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> Let us know if everything is fine.

Was this issue [1] fixed:
> I think I found it. It seems to be a bug in the way Launcher/Pharo unzips
> the downloaded VM.
> The symlink libgit2.dylib becomes unlinked and appears as just a regular
> file. If I delete the
> Pharo.app and unzip 70.zip (which btw maybe should have been deleted
> during cleanup after
> the dl) to ./vms/70, the error disappears!

[1] From
http://forum.world.st/Launcher-Error-w-Pharo-7-tt4959777.html#a4960417

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 14-09-17 22:52, Christophe Demarey wrote:
> For Pharo 7 images, no sources file are dowloaded since they come with the image.

They are not installed

Stephan

Re: (no subject)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 17-09-17 05:21, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Was this issue [1] fixed:
>> I think I found it. It seems to be a bug in the way Launcher/Pharo unzips
>> the downloaded VM.
>> The symlink libgit2.dylib becomes unlinked and appears as just a regular
>> file. If I delete the
>> Pharo.app and unzip 70.zip (which btw maybe should have been deleted
>> during cleanup after
>> the dl) to ./vms/70, the error disappears!
>
> [1] From
> http://forum.world.st/Launcher-Error-w-Pharo-7-tt4959777.html#a4960417

That sounds like the problem I encountered

Stephan

Re: (no subject)

demarey

> Le 17 sept. 2017 à 05:21, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> demarey wrote
>> Let us know if everything is fine.
>
> Was this issue [1] fixed:
>> I think I found it. It seems to be a bug in the way Launcher/Pharo unzips
>> the downloaded VM.
>> The symlink libgit2.dylib becomes unlinked and appears as just a regular
>> file. If I delete the
>> Pharo.app and unzip 70.zip (which btw maybe should have been deleted
>> during cleanup after
>> the dl) to ./vms/70, the error disappears!
>
> [1] From
> http://forum.world.st/Launcher-Error-w-Pharo-7-tt4959777.html#a4960417

Not solved.
Indeed, it is a problem of the Zip library that does not unzip properly (no preservation of permissions, does not handle symlinks).

It is a workaround but maybe I will add a strategy to use the unzip exe if I can find it on the system. That should solve most problems.
WDYT?

Re: (no subject)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> It is a workaround but maybe I will add a strategy to use the unzip exe if
> I can find it on the system. That should solve most problems.
> WDYT?

Sounds like a reasonable workaround for now.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: (no subject)

Ben Coman
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I published an update of the Launcher yesterday fixing some issues to run
> Pharo images from Linux. You can find latest-versions (0.2.13) here:
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
> It already propose to download Pharo 70 images. The VM is now downloaded
> automatically if the adequate one is not available.
> Let us know if everything is fine.

Thanks Christophe for updating PharoLauncher.  I'm trying it with Pharo 7 images for the first time.
I hit a problem using Iceberg in downloaded images.

$ unzip Pharo-linux-0.2.13.zip
$ cd pharo
$ unzip ../PharoLauncher-user-stable-2017.09.14.zip
$ ./pharo
+ PharoLauncher > Settings > Enable development environment
+ World > Tools > Iceberg
==>  iceberg opens okay
+ PharoLauncher > Templates > Pharo 7.0(beta) > latest-32 <Create Image> '7latest32'
+ '7latest32' <Launch>
+ World > Tools > Iceberg
==>  "Error: EXternal module not found"

$ uname -a
==> Linux 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2 (2016-04-08) i686 GNU/Linux

cheers -ben

12