object that create other objects [meta-object]?

object that create other objects [meta-object]?

sebovick
Hello,

First sorry for my bad english. I will try to be understandable:)

I have a problem that is, I think, enouth interesting (and difficult
to found responses on the web) to post here. I hope somebody will
understand it, and point my attention to some keywords, or web links.

Here is my interrogation:
- in smaltalk, everything is object,
- i create classes whith the browser (an object),
- then there are objects in smalltalk that create classes.
Question:
- What are the keywords, the technologies I will have to deal with to
create that kind of objetcts (object that create classes that I can
then initialize to create instances)?
- After lot of search, the thing I want to create seams to be a
meta-object. But how do we do in practice?
- Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming practice?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Re: object that create other objects [meta-object]?

Randal L. Schwartz

magique> Here is my interrogation:
magique> - in smaltalk, everything is object,
magique> - i create classes whith the browser (an object),
magique> - then there are objects in smalltalk that create classes.
magique> Question:
magique> - What are the keywords, the technologies I will have to deal with to
magique> create that kind of objetcts (object that create classes that I can
magique> then initialize to create instances)?
magique> - After lot of search, the thing I want to create seams to be a
magique> meta-object. But how do we do in practice?

Classes know how to create their own subclasses, by having subclassed
from Behavior.  Behavior-class is the meta-meta-object you seek,
instances of which will know how to create objects and subclasses.

In fact, the textual "class definition" (from the "instance" button in
the class browser) is nothing other than smalltalk code that creates
that class!  You can look up that method in Behavior class to see what
it does.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: object that create other objects [meta-object]?

Gaboto
"- Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming practice?"

The "blue book" is the bible for that:

Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation By Adele Goldberg and DavidRobson; Xerox Palo Alto Research Center ISBN 0-201-11371-6. 344 pp. 1983

there you have the link to download it free.

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've begin to search the book, and it look like I will found responses
to my questions.I however try to understand this phrase (from Randal
L. Schwartz):
> Then just use the protocol that you see in the class browser pane.
I have missed somthing...

2010/5/12 Gabriel Brunstein <[hidden email]>:

> "- Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming
> practice?"
>
> The "blue book" is the bible for that:
>
> Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation By Adele Goldberg and
> DavidRobson; Xerox Palo Alto Research Center ISBN 0-201-11371-6. 344 pp.
> 1983
>
> there you have the link to download it free.
>

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> First sorry for my bad english. I will try to be understandable:)
>>
>> I have a problem that is, I think, enouth interesting (and difficult
>> to found responses on the web) to post here. I hope somebody will
>> understand it, and point my attention to some keywords, or web links.
>>
>> Here is my interrogation:
>> - in smaltalk, everything is object,
>> - i create classes whith the browser (an object),
>> - then there are objects in smalltalk that create classes.
>> Question:
>> - What are the keywords, the technologies I will have to deal with to
>> create that kind of objetcts (object that create classes that I can
>> then initialize to create instances)?
>> - After lot of search, the thing I want to create seams to be a
>> meta-object. But how do we do in practice?
>> - Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming
>> practice?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best regards

Re: object that create other objects [meta-object]?

sebovick
Ok I've find where to found the responses to my questions. The book
effectively cover the topics I want to use. Specially "Protocol for
classes".

Thanks again to all, this problem was no resolved in my head for some
weeks ago. I now know where to go. I will come back for more accurate
and interresting questions.

Regards

2010/5/12 magique poter <[hidden email]>:

> I've begin to search the book, and it look like I will found responses
> to my questions.I however try to understand this phrase (from Randal
> L. Schwartz):
>> Then just use the protocol that you see in the class browser pane.
> I have missed somthing...
>
> 2010/5/12 Gabriel Brunstein <[hidden email]>:
>> "- Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming
>> practice?"
>>
>> The "blue book" is the bible for that:
>>
>> Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation By Adele Goldberg and
>> DavidRobson; Xerox Palo Alto Research Center ISBN 0-201-11371-6. 344 pp.
>> 1983
>>
>> there you have the link to download it free.
>>

>> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> First sorry for my bad english. I will try to be understandable:)
>>>
>>> I have a problem that is, I think, enouth interesting (and difficult
>>> to found responses on the web) to post here. I hope somebody will
>>> understand it, and point my attention to some keywords, or web links.
>>>
>>> Here is my interrogation:
>>> - in smaltalk, everything is object,
>>> - i create classes whith the browser (an object),
>>> - then there are objects in smalltalk that create classes.
>>> Question:
>>> - What are the keywords, the technologies I will have to deal with to
>>> create that kind of objetcts (object that create classes that I can
>>> then initialize to create instances)?
>>> - After lot of search, the thing I want to create seams to be a
>>> meta-object. But how do we do in practice?
>>> - Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming
>>> practice?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Best regards

Re: object that create other objects [meta-object]?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Magique, you English is perfect for us ;)

Regarding your question, I would recommend you to read:

- Pharo by Example book: http://pharobyexample.org/
Chapter  13  "Classes and Metaclasses"

- This is also interesting:

       http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/Teaching/Lille/0910-MetaModelisation/ObjVlispTD/
       http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/Teaching/Lille/0910-MetaModelisation/ObjVlispDocuments/

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've begin to search the book, and it look like I will found responses
to my questions.I however try to understand this phrase (from Randal
L. Schwartz):
> Then just use the protocol that you see in the class browser pane.
I have missed somthing...

2010/5/12 Gabriel Brunstein <[hidden email]>:
> "- Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming
> practice?"
>
> The "blue book" is the bible for that:
>
> Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation By Adele Goldberg and
> DavidRobson; Xerox Palo Alto Research Center ISBN 0-201-11371-6. 344 pp.
> 1983
>
> there you have the link to download it free.
>

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> First sorry for my bad english. I will try to be understandable:)
>>
>> I have a problem that is, I think, enouth interesting (and difficult
>> to found responses on the web) to post here. I hope somebody will
>> understand it, and point my attention to some keywords, or web links.
>>
>> Here is my interrogation:
>> - in smaltalk, everything is object,
>> - i create classes whith the browser (an object),
>> - then there are objects in smalltalk that create classes.
>> Question:
>> - What are the keywords, the technologies I will have to deal with to
>> create that kind of objetcts (object that create classes that I can
>> then initialize to create instances)?
>> - After lot of search, the thing I want to create seams to be a
>> meta-object. But how do we do in practice?
>> - Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming
>> practice?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best regards

Re: object that create other objects [meta-object]?

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:03 AM, magique poter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First sorry for my bad english. I will try to be understandable:)
>
> I have a problem that is, I think, enouth interesting (and difficult
> to found responses on the web) to post here. I hope somebody will
> understand it, and point my attention to some keywords, or web links.
>
> Here is my interrogation:
> - in smaltalk, everything is object,
> - i create classes whith the browser (an object),
> - then there are objects in smalltalk that create classes.
> Question:
> - What are the keywords, the technologies I will have to deal with to
> create that kind of objetcts (object that create classes that I can
> then initialize to create instances)?
> - After lot of search, the thing I want to create seams to be a
> meta-object. But how do we do in practice?
> - Do you have some books to recommand to understand this programming practice?

Try to read chapter 13 of Pharo by Example book : http://pharobyexample.org/

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich