ocompletion usability

Tudor Girba
Hi,

OCompletion certainly improved the coding experience in Pharo. But, I
have a couple of usability suggestions with OCompletion to make it
better. It would be great if someone (Romain? :)) could act on them:

1. Right now, OCompletion is triggered both by Tab and by Enter. It
should be only Tab.

Here is the reason. When I have a cascade, I want to have the methods
starting from the next line, like this:
browser mondrian
        title: 'Something';
        painting: [:view ... ]

So, after I type browser mondrian, I naturally want to press Enter.
However, there exists a method called mondrianAnnounce:, and when I
press Enter it gets filled in. So, the intent of Enter should be
similar to that of Space: just as a whitespace. Tab is a good choice
for triggering the completion because we basically only use Tabs only
in a new line where the completion does not apply.

2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some list.
Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is it
because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?

3. The completion is triggered only when typing, but not when removing
characters. I believe it would be better if it followed me all the time.

4. When I want to navigate through the offered list using the down
arrow the look changes and the items become wider. In fact, the same
appears when I force completion by pressing Tab, so this leads me to
believe that the change in the look is given by the change from O to E
completion. The look should remain the same.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: ocompletion usability

Romain Robbes

Hi Doru,

On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OCompletion certainly improved the coding experience in Pharo. But, I
> have a couple of usability suggestions with OCompletion to make it
> better. It would be great if someone (Romain? :)) could act on them:
>
> 1. Right now, OCompletion is triggered both by Tab and by Enter. It
> should be only Tab.
>
> Here is the reason. When I have a cascade, I want to have the methods
> starting from the next line, like this:
> browser mondrian
> title: 'Something';
> painting: [:view ... ]
>
> So, after I type browser mondrian, I naturally want to press Enter.
> However, there exists a method called mondrianAnnounce:, and when I
> press Enter it gets filled in. So, the intent of Enter should be
> similar to that of Space: just as a whitespace. Tab is a good choice
> for triggering the completion because we basically only use Tabs only
> in a new line where the completion does not apply.

Well, the completion with enter was requested by a few people, so we
should reach a consensus.

> 2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some list.
> Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is it
> because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?

It is the regular ECompletion, which is slower, and less useful.

> 3. The completion is triggered only when typing, but not when removing
> characters. I believe it would be better if it followed me all the
> time.

Good point!

> 4. When I want to navigate through the offered list using the down
> arrow the look changes and the items become wider. In fact, the same
> appears when I force completion by pressing Tab, so this leads me to
> believe that the change in the look is given by the change from O to E
> completion. The look should remain the same.

I thought about it and concluded that it may be good to differentiate
them.
As for the tab/enter issue, different people think differently. That's
why we should reach a consensus
on these two issues, so that I can decide whether I should remove
these two features :-).

Cheers,
        Romain

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: ocompletion usability

Stefan Marr-4
While someone is looking into usability, is there a way to also
complete for common tokens, or better global names?

A very annoying example is the completion offered while trying to use
the Transcript, it always offers TranscriptTest, instead of
Transcript, which is probably the case because it is not take names of
globals into account.

And since "printf"-style debugging seems to be the only way to debug
concurrent code, that is something I use very frequently...

Best regards
Stefan

On 30 Nov 2009, at 09:56, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OCompletion certainly improved the coding experience in Pharo. But, I
> have a couple of usability suggestions with OCompletion to make it
> better. It would be great if someone (Romain? :)) could act on them:
>
> 1. Right now, OCompletion is triggered both by Tab and by Enter. It
> should be only Tab.
>
> Here is the reason. When I have a cascade, I want to have the methods
> starting from the next line, like this:
> browser mondrian
> title: 'Something';
> painting: [:view ... ]
>
> So, after I type browser mondrian, I naturally want to press Enter.
> However, there exists a method called mondrianAnnounce:, and when I
> press Enter it gets filled in. So, the intent of Enter should be
> similar to that of Space: just as a whitespace. Tab is a good choice
> for triggering the completion because we basically only use Tabs only
> in a new line where the completion does not apply.
>
> 2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some list.
> Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is it
> because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?
>
> 3. The completion is triggered only when typing, but not when removing
> characters. I believe it would be better if it followed me all the
> time.
>
> 4. When I want to navigate through the offered list using the down
> arrow the look changes and the items become wider. In fact, the same
> appears when I force completion by pressing Tab, so this leads me to
> believe that the change in the look is given by the change from O to E
> completion. The look should remain the same.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: ocompletion usability

George Herolyants-3
Hi all!

2009/11/30 Romain Robbes <[hidden email]>:

>> 2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some list.
>> Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is it
>> because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?
>
> It is the regular ECompletion, which is slower, and less useful.

OCompletion is great, but I think it will be far better if the regular
ECompletion list appears automatically in case OCompletion can't offer
any suggestions. It's very useful to see ECompletion list in case
you've just forgotten the right method name or class name. But now I
forced to press backspace to return to the point at which OCompletion
still can give suggestions, press down arrow just to keep ECompletion
window opened and then continue to type.

Cheers,
George

Re: ocompletion usability

Romain Robbes

On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:58 AM, George Herolyants wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> 2009/11/30 Romain Robbes <[hidden email]>:
>
>>> 2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some
>>> list.
>>> Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is
>>> it
>>> because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?
>>
>> It is the regular ECompletion, which is slower, and less useful.
>
> OCompletion is great, but I think it will be far better if the regular
> ECompletion list appears automatically in case OCompletion can't offer
> any suggestions. It's very useful to see ECompletion list in case
> you've just forgotten the right method name or class name. But now I
> forced to press backspace to return to the point at which OCompletion
> still can give suggestions, press down arrow just to keep ECompletion
> window opened and then continue to type.

Hi George,

in that case, I think pressing tab even if the list is empty should
work, unless I misunderstood.

        Romain

> Cheers,
> George

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: ocompletion usability

Romain Robbes
Good point.

I also need Transcript once in a while, and didn't realize that was
the reason
it was missing!

Thanks,
        Romain

On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> [...]
>> completion. The look should remain the same.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 3956
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: ocompletion usability

George Herolyants-3
2009/11/30 Romain Robbes <[hidden email]>:
> Hi George,
>
> in that case, I think pressing tab even if the list is empty should

Oh, thanks for the answer and sorry :) I really missed that. I tried
to use Ctrl+Tab to invoke ECompletion list (by analogy with Ctrl+Space
that invokes OCompletion), but I didn't try just Tab :). Thanks!

George

Re: ocompletion usability

Tudor Girba
Hi Romain,

>> 1. Right now, OCompletion is triggered both by Tab and by Enter. It
>> should be only Tab.
>>
>> Here is the reason. When I have a cascade, I want to have the methods
>> starting from the next line, like this:
>> browser mondrian
>> title: 'Something';
>> painting: [:view ... ]
>>
>> So, after I type browser mondrian, I naturally want to press Enter.
>> However, there exists a method called mondrianAnnounce:, and when I
>> press Enter it gets filled in. So, the intent of Enter should be
>> similar to that of Space: just as a whitespace. Tab is a good choice
>> for triggering the completion because we basically only use Tabs only
>> in a new line where the completion does not apply.
>>

> Well, the completion with enter was requested by a few people, so we
> should reach a consensus.

I believe that the scenario presented above is a reasonable and not
uncommon one. Right now, I have to get from an subconscious state of
typing to a conscious one to get myself to press Space before Enter.
And I do not see the gain of having two keys doing the same thing.

>> 2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some list.
>> Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is it
>> because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?
>
> It is the regular ECompletion, which is slower, and less useful.
>

>> 3. The completion is triggered only when typing, but not when
>> removing
>> characters. I believe it would be better if it followed me all the
>> time.
>>

> Good point!
>
>> 4. When I want to navigate through the offered list using the down
>> arrow the look changes and the items become wider. In fact, the same
>> appears when I force completion by pressing Tab, so this leads me to
>> believe that the change in the look is given by the change from O
>> to E
>> completion. The look should remain the same.
>
> I thought about it and concluded that it may be good to differentiate
> them.

I do not believe that making explicit the internal implementation of
the overall completion service is beneficial. In fact, the
inconsistency just raises questions and it somehow makes me feel as if
I am breaking something.

If the question of the choice between the E and O appearance arises,
my preference is for the colors and appearance of OCompletion (I like
it that it does not take that much space and the colors are less
intrusive).

Cheers,
Doru

> As for the tab/enter issue, different people think differently. That's
> why we should reach a consensus
> on these two issues, so that I can decide whether I should remove
> these two features :-).
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

> Romain Robbes
> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: ocompletion usability

Simon Denier-3

On 30 nov. 2009, at 05:56, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OCompletion certainly improved the coding experience in Pharo. But, I
> have a couple of usability suggestions with OCompletion to make it
> better. It would be great if someone (Romain? :)) could act on them:
>
> 1. Right now, OCompletion is triggered both by Tab and by Enter. It
> should be only Tab.
>
> Here is the reason. When I have a cascade, I want to have the methods
> starting from the next line, like this:
> browser mondrian
> title: 'Something';
> painting: [:view ... ]
>
> So, after I type browser mondrian, I naturally want to press Enter.
> However, there exists a method called mondrianAnnounce:, and when I
> press Enter it gets filled in. So, the intent of Enter should be
> similar to that of Space: just as a whitespace. Tab is a good choice
> for triggering the completion because we basically only use Tabs only
> in a new line where the completion does not apply.

I concur with Doru especially on this one. I think the best to do is
to have some kind of settings (with the new settings package) so that
users can customize their own key bindings (or, failing that because
key bindings is not easy for now, a setting to enable/disable the
'enter' or the 'tab' keybinding)

On the minor side of wish list, it would be great for me if I had
completion of pragmas :)

> 2. When no completion is offered and I press tab, I do get some list.
> Why is this not offered by default? Is it because it is slower? Is it
> because it is the regular ECompletion and that is not useful?
>
> 3. The completion is triggered only when typing, but not when removing
> characters. I believe it would be better if it followed me all the
> time.
>
> 4. When I want to navigate through the offered list using the down
> arrow the look changes and the items become wider. In fact, the same
> appears when I force completion by pressing Tab, so this leads me to
> believe that the change in the look is given by the change from O to E
> completion. The look should remain the same.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

  Simon

Re: ocompletion usability

Johan Brichau
Hi Romain,

On 30 Nov 2009, at 12:09, Tudor Girba wrote:

>> Well, the completion with enter was requested by a few people, so we
>> should reach a consensus.
>
> I believe that the scenario presented above is a reasonable and not
> uncommon one. Right now, I have to get from an subconscious state of
> typing to a conscious one to get myself to press Space before Enter.
> And I do not see the gain of having two keys doing the same thing.

I second Doru's comment.
Hitting the enter key should not trigger completion. If some people
like it, maybe it could be a preference, but I was thinking there was
a bug in the latest versions because it was... bugging me :-)

Apart from that, I really like OCompletion and get annoyed when
working again in an environment that does not have it. So keep up the
good work!

----------------------------
Johan Brichau

Re: ocompletion usability

Romain Robbes

I concur with Doru especially on this one. I think the best to do is
to have some kind of settings (with the new settings package) so that
users can customize their own key bindings (or, failing that because
key bindings is not easy for now, a setting to enable/disable the
'enter' or the 'tab' keybinding)

Is that settings package included by default?

Romain

Re: ocompletion usability

Simon Denier-3

On 30 nov. 2009, at 09:45, Romain Robbes wrote:

I concur with Doru especially on this one. I think the best to do is
to have some kind of settings (with the new settings package) so that
users can customize their own key bindings (or, failing that because
key bindings is not easy for now, a setting to enable/disable the
'enter' or the 'tab' keybinding)

Is that settings package included by default?

I think it is scheduled for inclusion in 1.1. See the latest post of Alain and his slice in the inbox.

--
 Simon

Re: ocompletion usability

Doru

I'm on the cfocnused guy....
So indeed a nice preference now that we have Setting would be good.

Stef

On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:

>> I concur with Doru especially on this one. I think the best to do is
>> to have some kind of settings (with the new settings package) so that
>> users can customize their own key bindings (or, failing that because
>> key bindings is not easy for now, a setting to enable/disable the
>> 'enter' or the 'tab' keybinding)
>
> Is that settings package included by default?

Yes and more important its architecture make sure now that you can
load your code without setting loaded.
This also means that in the future you could load your code and we could remove Setting
for shrinking purpose. Thanks Alain :) and lukas for putting a bit more pressure