"offline" branch/merge

Randal L. Schwartz

My current website is driven by Perl Template Toolkit, generated from source
files that are managed in git.  The theory is that any of the webmasters who
want to edit the website can do so in an offline fashion (at 30k feet, or on a
cruise ship, for example), and then merge the changes up to the live site,
possibly resolving any conflicts that may have happened in the meanwhile.

Is there a way that I can achieve something similar with Pier?  As in, have
some way to serialize and restore the current pages so that they are treated
sensibly by git as a collection of files, or perhaps as code so that they can
be tracked with Monticello?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: "offline" branch/merge

Lukas Renggli-2
The package SW2PR in http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons does
this, at least the importing part. It walks over SmallWiki pages (the
predecessor of Pier) and saves them to a file-system hierarchy. There
is another method that walks over the file-system and imports the
files into Pier. I wrote this as an easy way to migrate data from
SmallWiki (that runs in VW and Squeak) to Pier.

I guess it would be easy to use that code as starting point (there are
just a couple of methods) and add a Pier exporter.

Cheers,
Lukas

On Aug 22, 2008, at 15:43 , Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> My current website is driven by Perl Template Toolkit, generated
> from source
> files that are managed in git.  The theory is that any of the
> webmasters who
> want to edit the website can do so in an offline fashion (at 30k
> feet, or on a
> cruise ship, for example), and then merge the changes up to the live
> site,
> possibly resolving any conflicts that may have happened in the
> meanwhile.
>
> Is there a way that I can achieve something similar with Pier?  As
> in, have
> some way to serialize and restore the current pages so that they are
> treated
> sensibly by git as a collection of files, or perhaps as code so that
> they can
> be tracked with Monticello?

> 777 0095
> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>