old school 4.5 and is cog now the standard VM for Squeak 4.5 all-in-one?

old school 4.5 and is cog now the standard VM for Squeak 4.5 all-in-one?

LawsonEnglish
So, the question is: how does one create the old school Squeak
distribution of source/image/chages files + a VM application?

There's no documentation for that on the new website that I can find,
and while I'm pretty sure I can sorta tease things apart in the Mac
all-in-one and combine them properly in a folder, I'd prefer a
standardized way to do it that I can point people to.

Also, is it true that Squeak 4.5 all-in-one is now using the Cog VMs? Is
that standard on all platforms, and is it the stack interpreter or the
accelerated version? How does one make sure that the fastest version is
being used, BTW?

Thanks.

Lawson

--
Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian Kernighan

Re: old school 4.5 and is cog now the standard VM for Squeak 4.5 all-in-one?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:28:13PM -0700, Lawson English wrote:

> So, the question is: how does one create the old school Squeak
> distribution of source/image/chages files + a VM application?
>
> There's no documentation for that on the new website that I can find,
> and while I'm pretty sure I can sorta tease things apart in the Mac
> all-in-one and combine them properly in a folder, I'd prefer a
> standardized way to do it that I can point people to.
>
> Also, is it true that Squeak 4.5 all-in-one is now using the Cog VMs? Is
> that standard on all platforms, and is it the stack interpreter or the
> accelerated version? How does one make sure that the fastest version is
> being used, BTW?

The Squeak 4.5 all-in-one provides Cog VMs.

The usual range of VMs is provided on squeakvm.org, including pointers
to the Cog VMs used in the all-in-one.

You are right, the squeak.org website should have some sort of explanation
of how to find the traditional image + VM installation. The all-in-one is
a very convenient way to provide a download for new users, but I do not
actually use it myself and I suspect that I am not alone in that regard.

Dave

tty

Re: old school 4.5 and is cog now the standard VM for    Squeak 4.5 all-in-one?

tty
Hi Lawson.

To see what kind of VM you are running click "Help -> About This System-> VM General"

My Stack Interpreter build shows:  Croquet Closure Stack VM [StackInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-tty.661]
My Cog32 build shows:                 Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.670]
My Standard Interpreter 64 shows: Squeak4.5 of 19 February 2014 [latest update: #13680]

>>So, the question is: how does one create the old school Squeak
>>distribution of source/image/chages files + a VM application?

It depends on the VM and the coder.
The old Standard Interpreter is the easiest to work with due to it's cmake system. I documented my experiences with it on my blog. There are several configurations of VMxImage size (32x32, 32/64, 64/32, 64/64)
It is (the standard intepreter build system, not my notes) a very good starting point for stepping up to the Stack and Cog build systems.

The StackInterpreter  and Cog build differently. Both are currently only in 32/32 (32 bit VM powering a 32 bit Image)

For these, you generate the c-source code from VMMaker.oscog (or download from either SVN or Jenkins build server)
Configure the mvm wrapper scripts for your platform with appropriate compiler flags and run it.

My current project is to port the existing build scripts from GNU-Make to CMake--

Please feel free to email me directly .

I am also on irc.freenode.net #squeak as tty

Cordially,

tty

Re: old school 4.5 and is cog now the standard VM for Squeak 4.5 all-in-one?

Paul DeBruicker
I haven't update these for 4.5 because I've been busy but that shouldn't prevent them from working

You'll just need to get the correct image, and it'll make you an all-in-one

https://github.com/pdebruic/Squeak-All-In-One

You could trim out the platforms you don't want to support too.

Lawson English-2 wrote