windows is a dialog box "Question: Save changes before quitting
Yes/No/Cancel" which is the single "old" window I can select.  Choosing
Yes or No closes the image and choosing Cancel keeps me in the image,
but still with none of the "old" windows selectable.   I naively
speculate that I was closing the image and walked away while "save
changes" dialog was open, and in the meantime the power dropped out to
the machine.

It would be nice to regain access to some code snippets in the "old"
Workspace, but just closing all the "old" of them would be okay.
Your thoughts on possible causes and alternatives to fix would be
appreciated.

cheers, Ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: old windows in image not responding

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just opened a Pharo image on Windows 7 that I haven't touched in months.  This was originally derived from the Pharo.1.2.1.OneCick, and the TitleBar > 'Display Version Information'  indicates "About Pharo on Win32 - Pharo4.1.1 from Mar 3 2011".
I assume the image was left it in good working order, but now the 16 open windows (including a pinned World Menu) are not responding to any mouse click.  Clicking over them brings up a fresh World Menu as if I just clicked on the background.  From this fresh World Menu, I can open a properly functioning Workspace and Browser.  It seems like a snapshot "old" windows has become the background image, except that from the window-bar and bottom of screen going "Windows > Collapse All Windows" does collapse the "old" windows - and "Windows > Expand All Windows" restores them, but they still cannot be selected.  One of the "old" windows is a dialog box "Question: Save changes before quitting Yes/No/Cancel" which is the single "old" window I can select.  Choosing Yes or No closes the image and choosing Cancel keeps me in the image, but still with none of the "old" windows selectable.   I naively speculate that I was closing the image and walked away while "save changes" dialog was open, and in the meantime the power dropped out to the machine.

It would be nice to regain access to some code snippets in the "old" Workspace, but just closing all the "old" of them would be okay.

If you open a new workspace in the top right of the window, there is an arrow that brings options, included one called "Previous contents ..."

cheers

Your thoughts on possible causes and alternatives to fix would be appreciated.
cheers, Ben

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: old windows in image not responding

Ben Coman
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just opened a Pharo image on Windows 7 that I haven't touched in months.  This was originally derived from the Pharo.1.2.1.OneCick, and the TitleBar > 'Display Version Information'  indicates "About Pharo on Win32 - Pharo4.1.1 from Mar 3 2011".
I assume the image was left it in good working order, but now the 16 open windows (including a pinned World Menu) are not responding to any mouse click.  Clicking over them brings up a fresh World Menu as if I just clicked on the background.  From this fresh World Menu, I can open a properly functioning Workspace and Browser.  It seems like a snapshot "old" windows has become the background image, except that from the window-bar and bottom of screen going "Windows > Collapse All Windows" does collapse the "old" windows - and "Windows > Expand All Windows" restores them, but they still cannot be selected.  One of the "old" windows is a dialog box "Question: Save changes before quitting Yes/No/Cancel" which is the single "old" window I can select.  Choosing Yes or No closes the image and choosing Cancel keeps me in the image, but still with none of the "old" windows selectable.   I naively speculate that I was closing the image and walked away while "save changes" dialog was open, and in the meantime the power dropped out to the machine.

It would be nice to regain access to some code snippets in the "old" Workspace, but just closing all the "old" of them would be okay.

If you open a new workspace in the top right of the window, there is an arrow that brings options, included one called "Previous contents ..."
Thanks Mariano.  Found that menu item and it gave me part of wanted.  I failed to frame the other part as a proper questions, which would be... How do I "reactivate" all the old "disabled" windows.  If I go "Windows > Delete unchanged windows" then most of the windows disappear but a few remain and I can't make them disappear. 

Actually I'll probably be more confident filing-out my code and throwing that image away, and moving to 1.3.
If anyone is curious about the problem though, I have uploaded the image to...
http://blog.openinworld.com/miscfiles/Pharo-1.2.1-OneClick.cimImplementation.zip

Your thoughts on possible causes and alternatives to fix would be appreciated.
cheers, Ben

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com