onClickUpdate: anElementOrId or just anElement?

onClickUpdate: anElementOrId or just anElement?

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

I'm wondering if anyone is using web element's id as argument in methods
like #onClickUpdate: ?

If not, I'm thinking to change support to just plain elements and not
ids. Me myself am namell using just the elements and never ids. Maybe it
is also les confusing to use just elements. But is there a case where an
id is preferable?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: onClickUpdate: anElementOrId or just anElement?

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> I'm wondering if anyone is using web element's id as argument in methods
JM> like #onClickUpdate: ?

I only once tried to use "startDateInput onChangePostAndUpdate: e id"
because updating dateInputs didn't work. using the id didn't help
either.

JM> If not, I'm thinking to change support to just plain elements and not
JM> ids. Me myself am namell using just the elements and never ids. Maybe it
JM> is also les confusing to use just elements. But is there a case where an
JM> id is preferable?

As far as I understand right now, when talking to some javascript you
will need the id's but that can be hidden from the user of the
framework.

If I look at the implementation of WebElement>>onClickUpdate:with it
first obtains the id and then uses the id. So I'm curious how you plan
to implement the change.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: onClickUpdate: anElementOrId or just anElement?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert,

Herbert König pravi:

> JM> I'm wondering if anyone is using web element's id as argument in methods
> JM> like #onClickUpdate: ?
>
> I only once tried to use "startDateInput onChangePostAndUpdate: e id"
> because updating dateInputs didn't work. using the id didn't help
> either.
>
> JM> If not, I'm thinking to change support to just plain elements and not
> JM> ids. Me myself am namell using just the elements and never ids. Maybe it
> JM> is also les confusing to use just elements. But is there a case where an
> JM> id is preferable?
>
> As far as I understand right now, when talking to some javascript you
> will need the id's but that can be hidden from the user of the
> framework.

Exactly. Idea is to hide such details as much as possible while still
allow more advanced use if necessary.

> If I look at the implementation of WebElement>>onClickUpdate:with it
> first obtains the id and then uses the id. So I'm curious how you plan
> to implement the change.

Internally it will still work the same of course. What is important is
the API level and the user's perception of it. Which should be as simple
as possible. So, if we can simplify by consistently using just elements,
we'll do a step towards the simplicity and elegance.

Best regards
Janko